Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
356628 Views 1,450 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 6:49 PM by grace300 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 97 Previous Next
  • sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,365. May 9, 2012 3:13 AM (in response to blackburied)
    Re: Hawaii Trying to Kill VRBO

Seems if HA/VRBO wanted to be proactive they would make it a required entry for any Hawaii VR address and create a specific display area. 

David

• Contributor 175 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    1,366. May 9, 2012 7:26 AM (in response to sodamo)

sodamo wrote:

Seems if HA/VRBO wanted to be proactive they would make it a required entry for any Hawaii VR address and create a specific display area.

I absolutely agree.  I've been sending my advertising sites (VRBO/FlipKey) support email asking that they help inform the Hawaiian owners, and place a push-button on everybody's page where the owner-entered tax ID goes to the DoTax site showing the owner's registration, and a "What's This" next to the button that pops-up a dialog saying that the state is concerned about legal rentals, and to look that the owner is registered for both GE and TA taxes.

It doesn't need to be a prominently located button, just the same location for all web pages, and allow bots so that the DoTax could easily write a web crawler that would gather this information.

Feb 22, 2012
    1,367. May 9, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to blackburied)

On Facebook, I'm seeing a request to ask the governor to pass this bill, to keep this debate from recurring again next session.

What is the contact info for the governor?

Feb 22, 2012
    1,368. May 9, 2012 8:51 AM (in response to blackburied)

The only way I could find to contact the Governor:

http://hawaii.gov/gov/contact/contact-gov

• New Member 11 posts since
    Feb 26, 2012
    1,369. May 29, 2012 11:06 PM (in response to crazyblogger)

Or just authorize a power of attorney form over to a family member

• Contributor 93 posts since
    Feb 20, 2012
    1,370. May 30, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to blackburied)

I still think this is going to be impossible to "police." I advertise on sooooo many websites, and I have found a few where it is impossible to add the tax ID number. Either they see it as a telephone number and I get an error reading (if you put it in the description), and many of the sites are set up to just clickon amenities, rates, etc., and any thing unusual in the body is disallowed. I can't remember which website I was trying to add my information to, but I couldn't put it anywhere!!! Frustrating, time-consuming, and again - who is going to police this?

• Contributor 38 posts since
    Feb 16, 2012
    1,371. May 30, 2012 11:27 AM (in response to pualanikapoho)

You do not need to post on each advertisement IF you list your website on the ad and your website has the number or a link to the number.

• Contributor 93 posts since
    Feb 20, 2012
    1,372. May 30, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to ajh)

Oh - very good to know!! Of course, I have it on my website, But some vacation rental websites don't allow links to your personal site.

Feb 22, 2012
    1,373. May 30, 2012 11:36 AM (in response to pualanikapoho)

pualanikapoho wrote:

I still think this is going to be impossible to "police." ...

You're absolutely right.

That's what we think the opposition strategy is: next year, the tax commission says "it'll take us 100 years to find every site and verify..." and the PM's will say "We can do it... just require that everybody hire a local PM".

So, I (and some others) think it's important that the major web sites (FlipKey/VRBO) make it consistent and bot-able (a program can be written to find all the tax ID's).  If that gets them info 80% of the rentals, they couldn't hope for better coverage.

Nov 5, 2011
    1,374. May 30, 2012 12:18 PM (in response to blackburied)

IMHO, it just makes sense that the VR sites, HA/VRBO/Flipkey etc get ahead of this and hard code the requirement in such a manner as to cover all states/locals. Other than that, as long as we, the owners make a valid effort and include where we can as well as pay our GE/TAT, I would hope the state would give us credit for trying.

Blackburied brings up the future fight:

I'm a bit surprised that there has been no comment on the new Maui VR law, specifically:

"* Having a property manager handling check-ins and checkouts living within 30 minutes of a rental's location and be able to respond to a complaint within an hour."

I think that we will see very similar language in the next go around instead of the non-resident/resident fiasco of this session. If an owner can meet the 30 minute/hour requirement then no problem, else licensed PM.  Can't see a constitutional or Nafta challenge with this language and it gets them what they want.

David

Sent with Aloha from my MacBook Pro

Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

• Contributor 49 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    1,375. May 30, 2012 1:18 PM (in response to sodamo)

What new Maui VR law?  How does one county just invent a law without public input? I’m not located on Maui but I did not hear anything about this. My guests self- check in and out. I have a lock  box and mail my guests the current code. Don’t I have the right to figure out how to manage the condo by myself? Many guests arrive and leave late so the lock box works well. I’ve had no problems with this method for 6 years. My original property management company did it this way so I continued the practice. My original management company did not want burdened with check in & out. What a pain.

Nov 5, 2011
    1,376. May 30, 2012 1:32 PM (in response to crazyknits)

See discussion here:  http://community.homeaway.com/message/23727#23727

Sent from my iPhone4 - Aloha

Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

• New Member 13 posts since
    Feb 15, 2012
    1,377. Jun 1, 2012 3:24 AM (in response to blackburied)

Just checking back in – did any part of this legislation say what font size would be required?  I was thinking something like this can you read this?   Or did it say a font at all?  Maybe this would be good:  Can you read this 12234567?   Anyone have any thoughts on that?  The first one is Dilenia UPC 8 font and the send one is symbol 8 font.  It would be so easy to get someone’s password for their taxes and really mess things up.  We have enough info floating around out there.

Aloha,

jan

• New Member 6 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    1,378. Jul 4, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to sodamo)

There is a high probability that your Tax ID will be copied from yiour site and used on other properties.  I hope the state can figure out who is using the correct number from the original registration.  With multiple properties (including bogas properties)  being listed, the tax as estimated from the properties would be wrong leading the rightful property owner to defend the taxes paid.  Seems that the security issues have not been thought through.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 13, 2012
    1,379. Jul 13, 2012 9:58 PM (in response to cruisin9)

Try using this number, I have it on my listings.W 016644594-01

1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 97 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)