Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1620 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 6:09 PM by anja RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Jul 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 9, 2012 2:43 PM

amazing place rental in seivervile tenn should change name to mediocre place

My family and I stayed here for 7 days a couple weeks ago.  Honestly it was a nice vacation, but the accommodations were less then stellar.  As a reply to our complaint we were offered a free night on a 3 night rental.  I was left to ask myself why would they offer that.  The cabin had a great view, but there were a number of problems with it.

1. the refrigerator wouldn't work right and we had to call a guy out to fix it. Who told us that this wasn't the first time he's had to fix it

2. it advertised a hot tube which it had...but the hot tub was broken and it wasn't until our last couple nights that they got someone out there to fix it.

3. Plugging in a roaster to an outlet blew the breakers

4. I know people don't go to the mountains to watch TV, but I have to say that the electronics were very outdated.  Even on vacation after a long day of hiking and site-seeing sometimes it's welcoming to come back to the cabin and watch TV to unwind.

5. The furniture was horribly uncomfortable 6. the beds were like sleeping on concrete

6. the chair in the living room was broken and leaned

7. One of the bedrooms was just big enough for a bed and that was it.  They call it the kids bedroom, but I don't see why.  to small for them to play in it.

8. Finally there were some yellow staining on the fridge and tubs.  It was kinda gross

Tennessee is a nice place to visit sure, but I would suggest choosing a different cabin.  Here is the e-mail I received from the lady when I brought the concerns to her attention no sorry, nothing saying they will fix the stuff.  Scale of 1 to 5 I would say 2.  The view is the only thing keeping it from a 1

----- Forwarded Message -----

Hi
Thanks for re-sending.  I have been away from the office frequently due to the Holidays and jury duty and have had lots of emails, calls, and messages to catch up on.
As a customer courtesy, we will offer 1 free night's stay on your next 4 night reservation (4th night free).
Thanks for your feedback.  Have a great day!
  • crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 862 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011

I do not understand why you are posting that here Maegan.  It seems to me that they were trying to respond to you in the proper way. 

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011

Just for the record:  Maegan is *not* the OP. {Maegan is the owner that the OP is complaining about....so that's the owner's response to the OP's complaints --- which indicates that Maegan acknowledges the OP is unhappy and offers compensation {I'm not judging whether it was sufficient compensation...and I do wonder why Maegan is not addressing any of the "issues" raised ...}.

I guess it really doesn't  matter because this post is probably going to be deleted by a Moderator...because it violates the Community use guidelines ....by giving the property I.D. and the owner's email.   {johnsmith --- if you want this post to remain here, then you should "edit" it to remove the personal identity information. Then, other's here will be able to discuss with you about your experience.}

Before that happens, it's curious how the "reviews" are on a swing with 12  *5 Stars* and a few  3  *3 Stars*  in between from 2010 onwards.   Just curious....and with no "owner response".   I think the owners should always write a response...whether for a postive or a negative...but especially a *negative*.  People need to know that a complaint and problem {real or exaggerated} has been addressed, regardless.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,142 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010

The proper place for complaints like this is to post a review of the property on the VRBO web site, not here.

• sophie Senior Contributor 964 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011

johnsmith,

I'm sorry your vacation was ruined by this cabin. I'm wondering if you checked the other reviews on the site before you booked. There are multiple 5 stars and 3 3 stars which were all written in 2011. Clearly this could have been an indication that this property might not fit your needs.  I'd like to address a few issues if I could because to me they don't seem like vacation wreckers:

the refrigerator wouldn't work right and we had to call a guy out to fix it. Who told us that this wasn't the first time he's had to fix it. Was the fridge overloaded the first day you got there? Maybe it took a few days to acclimate to the temperature? What does it matter that the fridge was worked on before?

Plugging in a roaster to an outlet blew the breakers. Was this your roaster or theirs? Were you able to switch the roaster to another outlet? Were you able to reset the breakers? I have popped the breakers in all of my homes at some point or other by plugging in different things and running the hair dryer/dryer/appliances/ac at the same time.

I know people don't go to the mountains to watch TV, but I have to say that the electronics were very outdated.  Even on vacation after a long day of hiking and site-seeing sometimes it's welcoming to come back to the cabin and watch TV to unwind. Were the TV's operational? It says there is satellite tv with vcr and dvd. Were they present? What was mis-represented?

The furniture was horribly uncomfortable. I count 9 sofas in the photos (not counting the lazy boy chairs). Was every single one of them uncomfortable? They all look very inviting and lodge like.

the chair in the living room was broken and leaned. Did you tell the owner when you were in the property about the chair? Maybe they didn't know about it?

One of the bedrooms was just big enough for a bed and that was it.  They call it the kids bedroom, but I don't see why.  to small for them to play in it. This is clearly stated on the property page. Why would you complain about it if there was no mis-representation? There is HUGE playroom/game room for the kids to play.

Finally there were some yellow staining on the fridge and tubs.  It was kinda gross. Was it clean? Was it water staining? Clorox staining (which can happen when clorox is used on white items)

Were there apologies made about the hot tub? How many days were you able to use it?

I agree that the letter from the owner could have been more engaging, if even to make amends for an unhappy client.

• sophie Senior Contributor 964 posts since
        Mar 4, 2011

p.s.

to some of you longer time posters, does this property look familiar to you? It seems it has come up either with the owner of the property or when that heated debate was going on about the housekeepers in this area.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011

The property listing did look familiar {I didn't mention that in my first post 'cause I thought perhaps I could be mistaken...so many mountain lodges have similar characteristics...but I recalled the "view" and the view from the "spa tub" }.  I just can not recall why/when I saw it.  I don't remember if it was about "houskeepers"....you've got a good memory.  Now that I'm thinking about this, I could have seen the ad when I was researching "hot tubs"....I was "Searching For Answers" a lot on the topic....looking at many examples of where the tubs were standing, ouside. ...the past few months, I'm preparing to purchase. Maybe that's when I saw it.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)