Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
65317 Views 236 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 5:52 PM by swlinphx RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 Previous Next
  • swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,191 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    195. Jun 30, 2012 9:24 AM (in response to swlinphx)
    Re: Welcome to ReservationManager Feedback Group

Is anyone using FlipKey's payment manager, similar to Reservation Manager and run via VRP?  How does it compare to Reservation Manager?

• Contributor 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2011
    196. Jun 30, 2012 10:07 AM (in response to swlinphx)

I also used Payment Processing Inc (PPI) which has changed their name to PayPros prior to using VRP/Yapstone.  This was a number of years ago and I was using the PPI virtual terminal to enter card details from my guests which I obtained over the phone.  I switched to VRP/Yapstone payment processing because their terms were better than PPI at the time and they offered a method to schedule and send invoices via email for guests to self pay online.

PayPros has since gotten more competitive by eliminating sign up fees, monthly charges, and provided a much better rate (2.5%) for US and international transactions.  They also provided the ability to integrate into RM allowing owners to respond to inquiries with customizable email templates, access a history of all communications sent, schedule and send invoices via email for online payment, enable guests to accept rental agreements online, allow reservations to be automatically added to the calendar once paid.  So the capability is essentially the same as VRP/Yapstone, except the rate is better, so it made sense for me to change back to PayPros.

At this point I am waiting for VRBO/Yapstone support to unlink from RM so I can link PayPros as the payment processing system for Reservation manager.

• New Member 12 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    197. Jun 30, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to bayside)

My wife and I have been giving PPI a full year to be more competitive than RM and as of May 5, 2012 they wouldn't offer anything near what RM offers us in terms of fees and percentages.  We have chatted with them on several occasions regarding their fees, etc and It sounds like they've changed their mind.  How frustrating!

Gary Webster

desert2sea@earthlink.net

714-292-7539

EarthLink Revolves Around You.

• Contributor 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2011

Just a point of clarification, the Reservation Manager (RM) is developed and owned by VRBO. 

The payment processing systems are separate from RM and linked to RM by the owner.  Currently you can choose VRP/Yapstone or PayPros as payment processors, not sure if there are other choices.

I agree PayPros F.K.A PPI was not willing to negotiate a better rate with me either, so I closed my account with them and went to VRP/Yapstone.  Apparently they lost a significant amount of business and decided to be more competitive, hence the better rate and performance. 

I will report back once I link my account, if in fact they make the deposits into my account within 24 hours or less as they stated. Currently VRP/Yapstone processing takes 3 days or longer.

• lce0606 Contributor 126 posts since
    Jan 17, 2012

Hi palmdesertluxury, thanks for sharing your experience.

It surprises me because my account executive with PPI switched me to the better rate structure last October. I would think that it should be general knowledge within the company by now.

Someone else mentioned talking with the same person I talk with. Perhaps you can call him directly if you have someone different? Matthew Stanley, 1-800-774-6462 x6789.

I just went back to my email correspondence regarding fees and see that my discussion with PayPros was from October 2011, when Matthew emailed that they had just lowered their rates for vacation homeowner's across the board to 2.5%. At that point, PPI/PayPros moved my account to a new platform and since then, I have the flat 2.5% with no transaction fees, or non-domestic surcharges.

I also noticed from my email that when I had been in contact with someone other than Matthew, I got different information. So, my suggestion is that if you are still interested in the PPI/PayPros, call Matthew directly.

• New Member 12 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    200. Jun 30, 2012 3:42 PM (in response to lce0606)

Thank you for all of the info.  These forums are beneficial .

Sent from my iPhone

Aug 30, 2011
    201. Jun 30, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to lce0606)

My wife and I have been giving PPI a full year to be more competitive than RM and as of May 5, 2012 they wouldn't offer anything near what RM offers us in terms of fees and percentages.  We have chatted with them on several occasions regarding their fees, etc and It sounds like they've changed their mind.  How frustrating!

I agree PayPros F.K.A PPI was not willing to negotiate a better rate with me either, so I closed my account with them and went to VRP/Yapstone.  Apparently they lost a significant amount of business and decided to be more competitive, hence the better rate and performance.

It surprises me because my account executive with PPI switched me to the better rate structure last October. I would think that it should be general knowledge within the company by now.

Regarding the three comments above, I must ask when the last time was you spoke with them that they were unwilling to negotiate a better rate.  They changed to and announced a 2.5% flat fee (with no monthly or set-up costs) almost a year ago, by late July 2011.

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 810 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    202. Jul 1, 2012 4:00 PM (in response to swlinphx)

swlinphx wrote:

That's what we just discussed in the previous couple posts Mike.  I guess you didn't read them, but the answer is yes, you can have PPI/PayPros integrated as the engine behind Reservation Manager instead of VRP/Yapstone.

If you are with VRP and want to switch, we just discussed that too.  You must go thru HomeAway customer service to have VRP removed first (see above few posts).

The $25 charge is ridiculous if it isn't an issue of funds but just a typo.  Don't they have a way to check and say it is an invalid account number or bank or whatever field the typo occurred in?

I have read the entire thread, swlinphx, so perhaps my question wasn't quite clear. In any case, you provided the information I was after so, thank you.

VRP was actually unable to tell me what the actual reason for the echeck return and charge was. The notice indicated something like "closed or non-existent account". I suggested that they should have declined the payment rather than process it, deposit then withdraw the funds, and charge me. Perhaps it's a way for them to pocket $25.00. So much for "free" echeck processing.

• Contributor 58 posts since
    Aug 23, 2011
    203. Jul 1, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to mike-dfv)

Mike, here is one way to eliminate getting charged for echeck mistakes: contact customer service and tell them you want to disable echeck. They automatically include echeck when you sign up for credit cards.

In my humble opinion, echecks are a perfect scam opportunty and offer us homeowners no protection. I had a case where a customer "paid" with echeck so I turned down another potential renter for the same time period. Then several days later the customer cancelled the echeck and there is absolutly nothing that can be done. In fact, after researching and speaking with VRBO, the customer can actually cancel the echeck up to 6 MONTHS after issuance! Incredible amount of liability for us as the customer could actually stay in the home and THEN cancel payment with no recourse (other than hiring an attorney, blah blah etc etc.).

But you have to call CS to make this change.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    204. Jul 1, 2012 6:14 PM (in response to highestr8)

Wow, really? I thought e-checks were like bank checks and once they cleared that was the end of it. I had no idea they could get their money back. What good is that to the owner?

Aug 30, 2011
    205. Jul 2, 2012 3:59 AM (in response to highestr8)

In fact, after researching and speaking with VRBO, the customer can actually cancel the echeck up to 6 MONTHS after issuance!

I too disabled the e-check feature with VRP/Yapstone (PayPal offers it too) but are you sure about the above statement?  Once it clears it is supposed to be like a regular check.  In fact, it is a check, just one done electronically instead of with paper.  Who told you a customer can just reverse a check months after it was cleared and processed, and are you sure you understood correctly?  That doesn't make any sense.  Can you point us to any place (terms or disclaimers) where that is in writing?

Aug 30, 2011
    206. Jul 2, 2012 3:57 AM (in response to mike-dfv)

I have read the entire thread, swlinphx, so perhaps my question wasn't quite clear. In any case, you provided the information I was after so, thank you.

Just for reference, it was stated in posts #201, 202, 203 and 204 right before the one where you asked.  I just read it again to be sure.

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 810 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    207. Jul 2, 2012 9:01 AM (in response to swlinphx)

swlinphx wrote: "integrated as the engine behind Reservation Manager"

As I said, swlinphx, my question wasn't clear. Above is the specific information I was after; the posts you referenced indicated they could be linked, but that's not quite the same thing.

• Contributor 58 posts since
    Aug 23, 2011
    208. Jul 2, 2012 9:24 AM (in response to mike-dfv)

"Echeck" has different definitions. In my experience I am referring to Echecks used by a customer issued through their credit card company. (Echecks can also be issued by  individuals tied to their bank checking accounts as referenced by swlinphx; and in fact once that type of echeck is "cleared" and the money safely credited to your own accoun, it is not susceptible to chargeback).

The Echecks relating to credit cards are much less safe than regular paper checks or their electronic counterpart.

My discussion, past and present, relates to Echecks from credit card companies. From first hand experience I have witnessed the issuing card company initiate a chargeback 20 days after payment was made and deposited into my account with RM.

The customer decided to cancel their reservation and contacted their credit card company and requested a chargeback which the credit card company executed.

I received a nice note from RM saying the monies had been withdrawn from my account.

After hours on the phone with both VRBO and VRP it was clear that nothing could be done by either of them. My only recourse was to hire an attoney and sue for breach of contract...obviously not worth the time and effort.

All of my experience was detailed in this forum (not sure where to find it now or refer you to) but it is in here somewhere. And based on my insistance that Echecks be removed from my payment options, VRBO now has a process in place to allow customers to call and request the same on their accounts.

As I have stated in my previous posts about this subject, Echecks (of this type) are a perfect scam opportunity and I suggest anyone who might be concerned with getting stuck with a chargeback be proactive. After all, if someone is going to utilize the echeck option offered by their credit card company, they can just as easily make payment via their credit card.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    209. Jul 2, 2012 9:28 AM (in response to highestr8)

So, does RM only offer the credit card based e-check or do they also have

the bank based e-check. How do we set up RV to accept one type and not the

other?

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)