Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1500 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2012 2:27 AM by manouche RSS
New Member 3 posts since
Jun 29, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2012 6:37 PM

Guests inviting friends over to swim, am I asking for trouble?

Hi there! I'm new to renting out my vacation home and to VRBO, listing for the first time this past March. We have a pool and it seems almost every single time we rent the cottage, our guests arrive and immediately ask if it's ok if they have a friend or two over to swim. I want our guests to absolutlely enjoy themselves when here. But, am I asking for trouble by allowing other people, not listed on the rental contract, to come on our property and use the pool? We are concerned about liability. Any suggestions? Thanks for your imput!

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011

We have this clause in our contract:

POOL:  The pool is available to suite guests only and has 2 important rules that have SAFETY in common.

Rule 1:  Any person under 18 years of age must be actively supervised by their           parent - no exception.

Rule 2:  Glass objects not allowed within 10 feet of pool. Broken glass can cause           severe personal injury and damage to pool itself.

David

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011

Although we don't have a pool as part of our amenities, we are careful to make sure our house doesn't become a party house.

For that reason, we make special note of the phone number associated with the person renting.  If it is our local area code, we know that is is not w a "real" vacationer, but instead someone looking to use our house for a party or to over-use the amenities.

Anyone who is going to "invite friends over" must have friends who are local - which typically means they are planning to use the house for more than just resting and relaxing. 

If you have doubts, don't be afraid to ask whether a guest is local, whether they have a vacation or a party planned, etc.  Yes, you might lose a rental alont the way, but it's a rental you wouldn't have wanted in the first place.

• Put in a call to your friendly insurance agent and discuss if and to what extent you would be liable for "non-resident guests" on your property.  It's vital information to have, whether or not you have a swimming pool.  Many insurance companies will not cover visitors who are not registered guests. 

How you will prevent people from "coming over for a swim" is another matter, and you will need to have some strong wording in your rental contract.  Always refer to the insurance coverage - that seems to intimidate the party people.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points