Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2120 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 4:48 PM by beth RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Jun 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 27, 2012 7:44 AM

failure to return deposit

what are my recourse when a property owner refuses to return the deposit?   they have not made any indication that they will not be refunding it.  in fact she said that she had submitted the request to VRBO, but when i called, VRBO said that there was no request for refund.  i have sent several emails to her but have yet to get a response.  this infuriates me because we went above and beyond what the contract said we needed to do.  please help!!!!!!

• mauioceanview Contributor 250 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    Jun 27, 2012 4:57 PM (in response to trishaholsomback)
    Re: failure to return deposit

Trisha, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you called the owner (you mentioned emails)? It is odd because she says she submitted the request to VRBO and VRBO denies it. If she were withholding your security deposit pending damage assessment or something similar, she surely wouldn't say she had submitted the request. Try calling her, talk to VRBO. Did you pay by credit card? Have you checked with the credit card company, the one you used to pay? As a last resort you could call the credit card company and explain your end of the story. But I would do that as a last resort only. You could always tell the owner that you will do that if she doesn't provide you with an explanation and follow-thru. It's one thing if she has a valid reason to withhold it (as per the rental agreement), but otherwise.... good luck!

• New Member 2 posts since
    Jul 24, 2012
    Jul 24, 2012 12:25 PM (in response to trishaholsomback)

I know you may not want to list the name on here, but will you say in what city you rented?  I am experiencing the same issue and am trying to find out if anyone else out there is having this issue with the same owner.

• pwmo New Member 6 posts since
      Nov 18, 2012
      Nov 30, 2012 7:02 AM (in response to lbd2012)

I am having the same problem with a non-responsive owner who has not returned our $1000 deposit.  The rental went fine, (despite sparse/late communication with the owner) and we left the property SPOTLESS.  Now 3 months have gone by and no refund of the deposit despite calls, emails, copies of endorsed checks etc.  She claims she never deposited/cashed our deposit check, but both the deposit and rental checks were cashed on the same day.  Despite this proof, no response from the owner.  The rental is in Warren Vermont.   Letter from lawyer sent to her this week demanding payment.  I think we're headed for Small Claims Court on this one, and I will get double or treble damages (Merry Christmas to ME) but what a pain. 

If you are renting a LARGE, white farmhouse in Warren/Sugarbush area, BEWARE.  Pay by credit card only and take the VRBO insurance thingy.  

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points