Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1064 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 3:44 PM by lovewnc RSS
New Member 5 posts since
May 15, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2012 2:02 PM

Reservation Calendar

I'm still learning and have a question about updating the reservation calendar.  There are days when I do not wish to rent out our efficiency because we are not around or we may have friends/relatives using it.  Up to this point I simply blocked the days on the calendar.  I'm wondering if this is the correct way to block the days.  At the end of the year, would it look like I had income during those days since I blocked them via the VRBO web site? 

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,353 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Jun 26, 2012 2:28 PM (in response to lovewnc)
    Re: Reservation Calendar

love,  great question!  Here is what I do:

When I update my calendar ( on HA, VRBO & others sites) & create a new reservation I do not provide any info (email addresses, etc.) in those fields. I have a "code" of sorts for each name and  enter that.  If I block off dates for me,family or friends I use my dog's name.

Of course, I keep  a master calendar in several places - both hard and soft copy. It's important to have a way to double check yourself!

Hope this helps!

Debj

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Jun 26, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to lovewnc)
    Re: Reservation Calendar

Similar to msdebj's practice, I also enter "codes" into the calendar.  I don't believe there is a correct way to use the calendar.  Use it however it works best for you.  I block off weeks, as they are rented, to provide homeaway and vrbo users with an up-to-date calendar, without entering identifying information about the renter to the site administrators.  I maintain my own calendar with the names of guests and other relevant information for each rental period.  The importance of the homeaway/vrbo calendar is in marking off the weeks that are available/not available.  (Until required to do anthing more.)  That's all. 

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points