Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4083 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2012 4:19 PM by swlinphx RSS
New Member 3 posts since
Sep 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2011 10:51 AM

Anyone have ad copy / pics stolen off Homeaway and posted on Craigslist?

Someone sent me thru my Homeaway link, an ad posted for a vacation rental on Craigslist.org. The ad had my copy; another Homeaway owner's actual property address; and pictures from yet a third party. I contacted Craigslist, Homeaway and the scam artist. I did not hear from CL or Homeaway!! But the scammer, when confronted by me in e-mails, ASKED TO MEET WITH ME TO DISCUSS!!! has anyone had this happen? And how did you resolve it? I feel 'contaminated' right now!

Thanks,

Capestock

• sophie Senior Contributor 970 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011

It happens all the time.  As an owner you really have to perform your "due diligence" to make sure the scammers aren't posting your information. There are many discussions on this topic in the forum.  Just search CL or craigslist on the search for answers bar.

Under no circumstance would I ever meet the scammer in person!

• New Member 2 posts since
      Jun 25, 2012

Just a suggestion, but why doesn't HomeAway protect US (as the people who are paying them, after all) and put "VRBO" or "HomeAway" across the photos posted on their websites?  I've seen this done with other material - no one would be able to steal them and use them because the word appears over the image!

• swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,194 posts since
        Aug 30, 2011

why doesn't HomeAway protect US (as the people who are paying them, after all) and put "VRBO" or "HomeAway" across the photos posted on their websites?

While that may be helpful in some instances and is done by many rental sites already, it does not help if the scammer is copying your listing as a "HomeAway/VRBO" listing and then "re-creating" the page exactly as it originally appears on Craigslist.  It will just seem that the HomeAway/VRBO listers are putting it up on Craigslist for additional advertising and visibility.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 786 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011

This has happened to me repeatedly.  If I search my house/web site name I find photos, text, and other materials copied from my website onto a variety of rental and travel sites (sometimes they list an address or place the house on a map - it's never accurate).  Once or twice an adverst has been posted to craigslist adjacent to mine in the listings that uses the exact text.  That has disturbed me becuase I am concerned about potential renters thinking I am the scammer.  My advice is to ignore it.  There is nothing to achieve by engaging the scammer(s). I doubt they will remove the information and you may be supplying them with additional ammunition (email accout, telephone number, internet address, etc) which could harm you in the future.  They likely have many more tools in their toolbox that you or I have.  And, it's just a matter of time before another scammer comes along and does the same thing.   Trying to police the internet is likely to be burdensome and unproductive.    

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)