Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
8244 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2013 2:49 AM by tokhousetokyo RSS
New Member 5 posts since
Jan 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 7, 2012 6:44 PM

Anyone Have any luck with Flip Key

We have been finding the service on both Homeaway and VRBO to be very lacking.  We have had some good luck with our free Flip Key Account.  Anyone have any experience with them?  Richard 

• jbarbara321 Contributor 96 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    Feb 11, 2012 8:25 AM (in response to richard.armstrong)
    Re: Anyone Have any luck with Flip Key

I have had a free Flip Key account for 1 1/2 years for properties I have in the Adirondacks, NY and have only received a handful of inquiries and one booking.  I know someone who has property in FL and she gets numerous bookings through them...it really depends on where your properties are located.  Most of my rentals come from HomeAway.

Jean

• New Member 12 posts since
    May 15, 2012
    Jun 8, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

I have got 11 inquiries in 2 months. 4 successful  bookings so far.. looks good..

• murdockvacationrentals Contributor 41 posts since
    Jan 28, 2011
    Jun 3, 2013 3:43 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

We've used FlipKey for a couple of years and get some bookings from it, but nothing like what we get from VRBO. Results likely vary from area to area. If we are able to get some bookings we feel we would not otherwise get then it is worth it to us.

Side note: curious as to how jbarbara321 was able to get a FREE FlipKey listing?? We pay for ours.

Munro Murdock
    RA, MBA, Ko Olina Resident
    Hawaii Life Real Estate Brokers

​"Another day in the life...the Hawaii Life!"​

• New Member 3 posts since
      Jun 9, 2012

I've had a few inquiries but no bookings.  This really surprises me as I am a big fan of Trip Advisor and thought it would bring in loads of bookings

• jbarbara321 Contributor 96 posts since
      Mar 17, 2011
      Jun 16, 2012 6:46 AM (in response to murdockvacationrentals)

I believe the reason Flip Key has given me 2 free years of advertising is because they are trying to get people from my area to advertise with them. My properties are located in the Adirondack mountains in NY.  Last year, my properties were the only ones from my area and I received a couple of inquiries and no bookings.  This year, I have received more inquiries and 2 bookings.  They now have numerous houses from different towns in the Adirondacks so I am sure my free ride is over ^_^

• tokhousetokyo New Member 2 posts since
      Jul 20, 2013
      Jul 20, 2013 2:49 AM (in response to murdockvacationrentals)

It seems FlipKey is now trying to play both games by taking advertising money from owners and then also offering free listings. This has given rise to a number of guest commission based sites duplicating your paid listing and putting it on FlipKey. I have sent a email asking for an explaination but all they did was remove the bogus listing and not give an explaination as to why they are allowing this. I could not access the listing on my own property the other service put up.

• holly.hunter New Member 16 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    Jun 16, 2012 6:28 AM (in response to richard.armstrong)

I have about 10% of bookings from Flip Key, certainly less than VRBO, but enough to cover the fee and help me to minimize vacancies.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Jun 16, 2012 7:19 AM (in response to richard.armstrong)

We get 5% of our bookings from Flipkey. I don't like having all my advertising with one company (Homeaway owning the other three) so we will keep it. We have our own web site now but we are not getting much traffic other than reserved guests or inquiries I send there to get more information.

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Jun 16, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Flipkey has been on the upswing lately. This month alone, I had 10 inquires and 2 bookings. HA is becoming my worst producer

• New Member 12 posts since
        May 15, 2012
        Jun 18, 2012 1:29 AM (in response to sophie)

I think Housetrip is picking up now... And now they have joined hands with trip adviser which is a good news..

Guess I was correct about HA. They`re only concern is earning money and they hardly look as a company who looks from the clients point of view.

Im from Sri Lanka and there are not properties from Sri Lanka in HA website so far. So I asked them to give me a free trail atleast for 02 months since im taking a risk of listing a property where no one has listed from my country. isnt it a big risk factor for me ?? it is............ but sadly HA didnt even bothered to respond for my suggestion. DISSAPOINTED.

Flipkey and Housetrip gonna grab the HA mkt share, if they dont satisfy the property owners.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Jun 20, 2012
    Jun 20, 2012 3:42 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

I have a rental/property management company in the Bahamas on Harbour Island www.harbourislandrealty.com we have about 100 homes on the islandthat we rent.  I am just joining Flip Key now to to add exposure to our listings.  It is interesting hearing other peoples opinion of them.

Alex

• Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2012 10:39 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

FlipKey is owned by TripAdvisor. As TA has grown rapidly in popularity over the past 2 years, so has FlipKey. My company manages over 500+ vacation rentals in North Myrtle Beach & Myrtle Beach - we use FlipKey as a supplemental lead source.

We've seen more leads come from FlipKey than VRBO & HomeAway put together (sorry ).

What I like about FlipKey is that Google scrapes the reviews you receive from guests who've rented with you via FlipKey, and includes it in your Google Local page. These additional reviews added to your G+ page can be seen as an added "trust signal" to potential clients who are doing their due dilligence with you/your company.

• New Member 8 posts since
    Sep 27, 2012
    Oct 15, 2012 8:39 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

FlipKey is great!  I have a great account manager who works with me, returns calls and email messages and corrects errors when they occur.  They are just about the polar opposite of VRBO/HA.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 26, 2012
    Oct 26, 2012 1:24 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

We have 13 properties listed in Flipkey and received 38 inquiries and 5 bookings in Q3/2012. In comparison we have listed 8 properties in Homeaway (fewo.de, the German subsidiary) and have received 15 bookings for the same period. My impresson is that FlipKey is mainly targetting the English speaking market, whereas our properties in Homeaway are listed in 3-4 languages, thereby targetting our main market, Europe.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Nov 7, 2012
    Nov 7, 2012 2:16 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

We run about 50% Homeaway, 40% VRBO and 15% FlipKey reservations.  But the FlipKey customers are the high season/high rental customers so it pays!  My biggest complaint about FlipKey is that I keep getting reviews from renters who never stayed in my unit (against their policy), and have to ask FlipKey to delete them - which to their credit they have done.  You are not allowed to view reviews before they are posted so its a real catch 22, and your ranking is based on reviews, so don't like that system at all.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Nov 7, 2012
    Nov 7, 2012 11:17 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

I've had 27 inquiries from Flipkey/Trip Advisor so far this year, since January with 7 confirmed reservations.  VRBO, I have had 92 inquiries this year to date with more than half confirmed into reservations.  HA is even worse than FK and TA.  Sometimes I wonder if FlipKey is worth it.  I have had guests state to me that they have submitted a review and I never see it appear?  I offer an incentive to our guests for submitting a review so when I have a guest tell me that they did, then I don't see it...well something is up with FK and TA!  I can sometimes go for weeks without an inquiry with FK...so not too sure they are worth it.  I guess the only reason I have stuck with them is I was awarded Vacation Rental of the Year for 2011, 2012 hasn't come out yet, to my knowledge...so I use that award and badge that they sent me in my marketing material on VRBO, Facebook, etc. and I believe it has given me more credibility with potential guests.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Jan 9, 2013
    Jan 9, 2013 9:25 AM (in response to richard.armstrong)

I have advertised with flipkey.com from the beginning. It was a slow start but in the past two years my inquiries have increased significantly so that now I get about 30% of my inquires through them. I like several aspects of flipkey: 1) Someone always answers the phone and helps me with an issue, unlike homeaway. 2) the review process is much more user friendly. I do not use their automated review from their site since you cannot personalize it; instead I write a personalized email and include the review link. Renters don't have to "sign in" so I get MANY more reviews than I do from homeaway. 3) you can add as many photos as you like; 4) flipkey is now linked to tripadvisor so your listing shows on tripadvisor; I think this has resulted in many more inquiries; and 5. It is less expensive than homeaway.

• hootymiami New Member 6 posts since
    May 26, 2013
    Jun 1, 2013 2:39 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

i joined flipkey because they called and offered me a free listing and to pay a percent of my bookings. well..........since i've had zero bookings on flipkey, it's been really free haha. i have to say, i've had inquiries, but no takers. i am fairly booked up for the summer with homeaway although i can't say this is a stellar year (maine - mt. desert island) and past years, we've been booked to the max. but that's another issue (it's gone from 51 listings to 152 listings!!! - competition!!!)

what i don't like about flipkey is the third party involved in everything, although of course they are! that's what i gave up for the percentage booking fee. you are not directly involved with the guest nor do you have any information on them when they inquire. so it's a bit impersonal, almost anonymous. i like to interact somewhat with my guests and sometimes i even google their names just to get an idea. i'm not sure i'll list again with FK.

when FK first started, we listed with them and it was a very successful site. we listed with both HA and FK, then the next year, it was all about HA again. so we skipped it for a couple of years and then FK called with the offer, so i took them up on it. meh, not so great, in my opinion.

• holly.hunter New Member 16 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    Jun 1, 2013 2:47 PM (in response to richard.armstrong)

I have had good luck with Flipkey, but was not able to list for free.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points