Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
68517 Views 145 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 6:48 AM by stonemsp RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • New Member 2 posts since
    Feb 6, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Jun 18, 2012 10:18 PM (in response to deborah.atkinson)
    Re: Scam from the Ukraine?

same exact wording that they have been sending for months.  It they want money back, they are scammers.  Also, they like to say that Visa is "unsecure".  What do they think their counterfeit checks are?  Don't deposit the check.  it will bounce and cost you money, plus your bank could put your accounts on hold due to the fraud.

• New Member 8 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    91. Jun 19, 2012 1:53 AM (in response to deborah.atkinson)

forget about it, i'm trying to get this guy arrested.. total scam. I had the exact same request and they 'll send a fraudulent cashier's check from an american bank saying their travel agent put the wrong amount and to please wire the difference.. your teller will credit your account you will send the money and when your bank realizes it's afraud the money will be taken out and it will be too late. You can try to prove your bank shouldn't have credited your account etc.... I"m going through this nightmare so please don't.

Jun 17, 2012
    92. Jun 19, 2012 2:39 AM (in response to romy)

Lesson to learn from this nightmare: NEVER TAKE CHECKS EVEN CASHIER'S

Also ask your bank if crediting your account with a check means it has cleared. BofA credited my account with a fraudulent cashier's check....and debited it three days later like I mentioned earlier. I'm fighting this with BofA who actually recognizes the mistake but I know most banks credit accounts before checking if the funds are there. The law in some state recognizes that the banks are liable since they have the means to check the authenticity of a check but who wants to go through this.

• New Member 6 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    93. Jun 19, 2012 9:52 AM (in response to tyro1)

Have received two such "Ukraine" scams! Haven't fallen for either of them...wish these crooks could be brought to justice!

Jun 17, 2012
    94. Jun 19, 2012 11:03 AM (in response to nancy.eris)

I'm trying. My russian friend hase been communicating with his bank and proved their client was a crook. fingers crossed.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    95. Jun 19, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to romy)

Each day new scam artists crop up. I doubt that the police can keep up with all the scams.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Jun 18, 2012
    96. Jun 19, 2012 3:16 PM (in response to tyro1)

Thanks, everyone, for your comments about the Ukraine scam.  It does sound like I'm being phished (is that an appropriate term here?:-)   I won't bother to answer.

Best,

Debby

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 4, 2012
    97. Jul 4, 2012 1:37 AM (in response to tyro1)

Ha. Wish I'd thought to check here first. Luckily I knew it smelled fishy all along, but I got as far as the part where the "check" arrived via mail postmarked Kiev, Ukraine. Rather than just depositing via ATM, I went into my bank branch where they made a call and confirmed that Mrs. Valya's check (same name/info as found above in this thread) is a fake from a fraudulant bank "SunTrust."

If you try to deposit these scam checks, best-case scenario you're assessed a small ($12) fee. Worst case scenario, your account is frozen and you actually sent the Ukrainians a money order via Western Union as they'd instructed for the overage.

If it smells fishy, it IS! Save yourself the time and trouble.

Sep 26, 2011
    98. Jul 17, 2012 9:40 AM (in response to innbeervana)

I got a similar inquiry. Someone wanting to rent a four bedroom condo for a party of two. I replied and pointed out the mismatch. Here's what I got today (below in bold). Looked suspicious so I tried to see if I could find the address on a google map. Could not find it. Then I thought to look here and VERY glad I did. Sent a reply "The unit is not avilable on those terms". The email address is a hotmail account. The message originated at an IP address registered to a network services provider in Dallas, TX. Probably untraceable to the original sender. Thanks to all who posted.

Jim

Hello

Thanks for the updated information.

We are okay with the accommodation   .

we would also like to confirm  the reservation on the following information:

- Mr&mrs GXXXXr TXXs

XXA Starkova Street, 81109 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

Please do forward me the following details for payment

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

GXXXXr TXXs

• New Member 5 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    99. Jul 17, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to jim.curran)

I got another one today - easier to spot the 2nd go-round.  The first go-round they used a US address at first.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Nov 16, 2011
    100. Jul 16, 2012 7:34 PM (in response to jim.curran)

I left VRBO since they have nothing to protect owners against such scams.

Jul 30, 2012
    101. Jul 30, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to tyro1)

Here's another one we received today:

Hello

> Thanks for the updated information.

> We are okay with the accommodationand cost .

> we would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:

Mrs alica

banvokova, street , 82309 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

Please do forward me the following details for payment

> NAME

> BILLING ADDRESS

> CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

> Hope to hear from you soon

> Regards

>txxxxxxxxxo axxxa

Aug 2, 2012
    102. Aug 2, 2012 3:29 AM (in response to tyro1)

I am a vacation property owner and have received two scam inquiries from Ukraine in the last week.  One for each property.  I am also a police officer and I have responded to the inquiry that I would be happy to assist him.  I am waiting for the check so that I can send it off to the crime lab for processing.   If anyone else wants to contact me after getting one of these checks you can find my contact number on Homeaway property number 216236.  Please do not send as an inquiry.   I thought it might help if we could find a common fingerprint from many checks.   It would appear that the cycle keeps going by the suspect, using the new victim's banking information after victims unknowingly mails back a refund check.

Unfortunately, this is quite a common scam on every selling site, not just Homeaway.  And I'm guessing the banks are overwhelmed with this type of counterfeiting.  It's too bad they are taking a buyer-beware approach and putting the burden on the victim.

hello

I am sorry for all the delay in payment as there was a mix up in the payment sent to you. I was supposed to receive two separate payments one for you and the other for my travelling agent but all payments was issued in your name and sent.

I have tried to correct this error but it was in vain and now i was asked to resolve myself . It will have to go through a long process to change this error. Please i know not what to do 

I was eventually advised to contact you since the payments were issued in your name, so you should be able to clear them into your account . As soon as you have please deduct your rent and remit the balance to my travel agent . Please let me know how you can help.

thanks

Aug 2, 2012
    103. Aug 2, 2012 3:36 AM (in response to tyro1)

Their reply to inquiry, you would think they could change it up a bit, duh!

On Jul 31, 2012, at 2:23 PM, dashaa ivanako <dashaa100@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello

> Thanks for the updated information.

> We are okay with the accommodation and cost .

> we would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:

> - Mrs dashaa

> 23 banvokova, street , 82309 kiev, Ukraine.

> Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

> Please do forward me the following details for payment

>  NAME

> BILLING ADDRESS

> Regards

> dashaa ivanako

Aug 2, 2012
    104. Aug 2, 2012 3:45 AM (in response to tyro1)

Second request with a different name

>i am  okay with the accommodation and cost .

> i will also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:

> - Mrs aksana alexsander

> 23 Uchebunaya street , 82309 kiev, Ukraine.

> Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

> Please do forward me the following details for payment

> FULL NAME

> BILLING ADDRESS

> Regards

>aksana

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This