Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7745 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2012 2:17 PM by terirusso RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Apr 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 2, 2012 3:35 PM

Garbage removal

What are some policies of household garbage removal.  Is it the renters responsibility or the property owner.  an example is that if someone eats a lobster and leaves it in the garbage bin for a week your in trouble with odor and animals.

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Apr 3, 2012 10:35 AM (in response to cosmos)
    Re: Garbage removal

cosmos,

It depends on a lot of factors. I have 3 properties and the trash service is all different. First of all though, in all houses, it it written in the contract that on vacating ALL trash must be taken out to our trash cans located either in the garage or outside. After the garbage is out of the house:

1. Townhouse in a newer development with an hoa appointed trash service. It is written in the contract that if the renter is there over a Sunday night, they are responsible for putting the bin out an bringing it after after trash collection on Monday am

2. Large house that has rear alley access. We rent a dumpster in the alley with our neighbors. The renters can either take the trash to the dumpster or just leave it in the cans on the property and we take it to the dumpster.

3. Small house with a single can. We normally line the can with liners and then we pick up the trash and take it to said dumpster.  If we wanted we could have trash service at this home but don't choose to because the trash is normally a small amount.  If we did, the renter would be responsibile for putting the trash to the curb for collection.

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,356 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Apr 3, 2012 3:04 PM (in response to sophie)

cosmos, yes it depends. My lawn/caretaker ( NOT a property manager - just someone I employ to be a general overseer of my home)  stops by each Wednesday evening and

places the trash bin  out for pick up. He replaces it after pickup on Thursdays.

Guests are required to place all trash in this bin before thay leave. 

I don't know how you get around bad smelling cans in hot environments.  We have our caretaker pour a Lysol type product  into the can each week, nad wash it out if needed.

You may want to get to know some of your neighbors. They may be willing - for a small fee - do the same for you.

Debj

• carol Senior Contributor 2,150 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Apr 3, 2012 10:27 PM (in response to cosmos)

My contract says

[renter] agrees to keep the premises in good order and to comply with all sanitary laws, ordinances and rules affecting the cleanliness, occupancy and preservation of the premises during the term of this lease.  A schedule of trash and recycling pickups and rules for these pickups will be available on the premises for [renter] to follow.

I have a 1/2 page of instructions for trash & recycling (the recycling rules in my town are a pain!!)  in my book. 

If I'm in town, I  usually run over and move the cans to the street for my guests at night and then back in the morning.  If I'm not, my neighbor makes sure the guests do it or he does it for them.  Hey, they're on vacation -- why not?

During peak season, my changeover day is also trash/recycling day, which works out well.  Off-season, I sometimes have problems with guests leaving on a non-trash day, and here my neighbor is very helpful (well, I pay him to be helpful!).  Once or twice I've made a quick trip to the recycling center myself between pickups if the cans are full -- I don't  want the incoming guests to have to face overflowing cans with beer or wine containers. 

Most of my guests manage to follow the instructions just fine. In fact, I had one wonderful family who emptied every one of our 13 wastebaskets -- throwing out everything as instructed, including the extra roll of liners that is in the bottom of each of my baskets.  Ouch, that was an expensive lesson -- now my instructions warn them not to do that!

• sfvacationhut Community All-Star 643 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    May 18, 2012 10:51 PM (in response to cosmos)

Our policy is that it's the guest reponsibility to take the garbage out of the apartment and put it in the bins outside the house.  Trash pick-up is once per week.  We live on site, so we roll the trash bins out to the curb each week to be collected.  If the guests were to leave some really stinky stuff outside in the garbage bins, it could attract animals or create a smell as you say ... but so far it hasn't been a problem, thank goodness.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    May 19, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to cosmos)

Initially, we required our guest to roll the trash out on trash pick up days, but that did not work well at all. During the off season, guests often were checking out well before trash day and could not roll it out that early. That left the next guest with full trash cans and all the stink that goes with it. We contacted our city services department and they gave us a list of people that you can hire to roll the cans in and out. The woman we hired works for the city and knows all the special holidays and pick up changes. It was not an expensive service and it has taken a huge worry off my shoulders!

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010
      May 22, 2012 2:21 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Because we have bears and raccoons in our area, we ask guest to wrap up bones, meat scraps and other enticing food leftovers in plastic bags (like you'd get from buying your groceries) and keep them in the freezer.  Then we ask them to pitch the frozen leftovers in the trash on check-out day.  We've requested this for years and never had a complaint from guests.  I also put a small laminated magnetic card on the refrigerator as a reminder.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    May 22, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to cosmos)

We ask our renters to remove trash from indoor bins to large outdoor garbage bins on a daily basis throughout their stay to keep the house neat and minimize odors.  The outdoor bins must be covered and bungee or tie down cords used to secure the garbage from "critters".  This also maintains a tight seal that should contain odors outdoors. 

We recycle and we return bottles - we have two bins in the kitchen, clearly marked for each purpose.  There is an outdoor recycling bin in addition to the three regular trash bins. 

We have in yard pick up twice each week.  Once a week might encourage growth of odors in the summer heat and  create an overflow situation.  Not conducive to guests enjoying the back yard.

We have a choice of in yard or roadside pick up; we've chosen to not ask our guests to wrestle garbage bins down the driveway to the lane.  Dirty and difficult, and the garbage truck can appear with the rising sun.  (They're up and out early!)  There isn't a significant difference in price for our rental season of twenty weeks. 

I have detailed instructions in my house rules packet about separating the trash, empyting the indoor bins, securing outdoor bins, and days and times of pick ups. 

My guests must be diligent about recycling becuase I have not received any warnings from the garbage company.

We had one incident a few years ago when a garbage truck broke down and was unable to pick up on our turnover day.  The company did not have another truck and driver available and pick up was put off for another day.  The arriving guests were greeted by full garbage bins; but they understood the situation was not in my control.  I gifted them a breakfast at a local restaurant and the garbage never became an issue.

• New Member 11 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    Jun 1, 2012 9:48 PM (in response to cosmos)

I have an even trickier issue.  Has anyone ever asked their renters to take their trash to the dump themselves? we do not have trash service and we do not live close to the property.  I could possibly ask (and pay) a neighbor but I really don't want to do that...   On the original advertisement, we said the cleaning service would take one small bag but they were responsible to take the majority to the dump.  We have lakefront property but it is not a real fancy place.  What do you think??

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 827 posts since
      Mar 5, 2011
      Jun 2, 2012 8:35 AM (in response to west_twinner)

In our area, Disney World, at least, you'd be hard pressed to find a guest who will do that. Most people run late, will feel like they don't have time to make a run to the dump, and leave all the trash. Plus, trash really is the last thing people want to deal with while on vacation.

Mike

Jun 1, 2012
        Jun 2, 2012 9:42 AM (in response to mike-dfv)

Thanks Mike.  I totally agree.  That is what has me stressed.  We are in a rural area so it is a bit of a different feel than Disney World but I do agree that no one wants to deal with garbage.  I may have to find a local to help but that may be a problem too... 

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
          Aug 10, 2011
          Jun 2, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to west_twinner)

Could you pay your cleaning staff more to take care of the trash? Might be

worth it?

Jun 1, 2012
            Jun 2, 2012 10:29 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Yeah, that would probably be ideal but she drives a sedan type car and if i were her I wouldn't want to put a bunch of leaky garbage in my car....  I might talk to her about "sub-contracting" it out.  It would be her responsibility but she can get it gone any way she pleases.  She is really busy in the summer so I am not sure she would want to take it to the dump herself...  Thanks for your suggestion. :-)

• stjvilla Active Contributor 624 posts since
              May 27, 2011
              Jun 2, 2012 1:10 PM (in response to west_twinner)

Yes, why not ask your cleaner if she knows someone with a pick-up truck who would take it to the dump in exchange for a reasonable payment?  Maybe she has a family member who would do it?

We don't have home trash pick-up either and ask the guests to take their daily garbage to the nearest municipal dumpster.  We tell them it will lessen the chance of attracting bugs, etc.  Most do, but our cleaners know they will still find trash at the end of a stay and are prepared to take it to the dumpster themselves.

Jun 1, 2012
                Jun 2, 2012 1:46 PM (in response to stjvilla)

My original thought was that they would only have to make one dump (transfer center) run on Friday and the cleaner would take one bag with her on Saturday.  There is room in the garage to keep a couple bags of garbage so the critter don't get in.

To be honest, that is what we do when we stay there. But we have a vehicle that can haul trash and not everyone does...

• New Member 1 posts since
      Jun 27, 2012
      Jun 27, 2012 6:26 PM (in response to west_twinner)

My chalet is in the woods - we have no trash pickup - and we live 3 1/2 hrs. away.  The Transfer Station is about 2 miles up the road and I supply the ticket and all information regarding times.  I've only had one complaint from a guest on having to take the trash to the transfer station.  My maintenance company would charge me at least $25 per pickup;  add that to his monthly rate and it wouldn't be worth my renting.  I think my rates are reasonable enough that people can drop off the trash on their way out.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2012
    Jun 15, 2012 8:33 PM (in response to cosmos)

I live 100 miles away from the rental.  I have it written into the contract a $10 a bag fee with brief explaination how far away I am.  There is a trash truck on check out day within 2 miles of rental.  For mid week renters I still make it their responsibity.  I supply all the bags and have had no problem.  When there was no possible fee charged they left trash.  I also get a money order for deposit so the renter knows it can be charged out after check out.

• terirusso Contributor 101 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Jun 29, 2012 2:17 PM (in response to cosmos)

Just this year I have incorporated a clause into my rental agreement that I will charge security for excessive garbage. We have 2 garbage pickups every week in the high season, Tues and Friday.  Twice last year I had renters that left in excess of 7 to 10 bags of garbage when they checked out on Saturday. I ask the potential renters to initial specific lines on the rental agreement, including the garbage clause, so they can't complain when I hold security.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points