Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
9155 Views 42 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2012 6:57 PM by swlinphx RSS
jmather Contributor 31 posts since
Jun 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2012 1:21 PM

Accepting credit cards

I just tried to use the HomeAway site to add their service for credit cards and ran into a problem. Is this the only option? What about adding Paypal? Can that be done? Also, I encountered a virus on their application site. I had to leave the site to look up additional information. Soon after I did, a virus began running a phony virus check and I had to power my computer down to stop it. Is there a tel number for HomeAway so I could add credit card options?

Thanks, Jim

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,356 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Jun 14, 2012 4:39 PM (in response to jmather)
      Re: Accepting credit cards

I've used Front Line Processing for many years to process my CC payments. Others have used Paypal and can share their experiences with you..

One thing your should know: All 3rd parties that offer Credit Card acceptance programs, (& EVERYONE seems to be in this business these days!!), are just a conduit and have signed an agreement with the various credit card companies. In other words, they are NOT Visa, Mastercard, etc. but are simply another tier in this BIG business.

A typical fee for processing your CC payments is around 2.5 %, which the retailer (YOU) pay. Not much, considering the peace of mind you get by accepting CC payments, and it is a tax deductable business expense. You can often negotiate this fee, depending on your monthly/annual  sales, refunds, etc. I know this will sound  more complex than it really is. But ,it's a part of doing business, and very simple once you get the start up down

My adivice is to due your homework.

• Make sure you have an extensive contract that is signed by both you and any 3rd party processor.( AND keep in in your files!)
      • Make sure you have written documentation of the entire process: How long does it take a CC payment to be approved? It should be immediate. ( Think swiping YOUR card at a retailer). Ask for a WRITTEN process for  each transaction :i.e. How to Refund, etc. and ask if there is a fee for such.
      • What is the time frame before a purchase, if approved,  is deposited in your bank account?  (Industry standard is 2 business days)
      • And it is VERY important to understand ALL of the clauses in such contracts. They should provide you with a 24/7 phone number in case of any problem.

If I can help answer any more questions I'd be happy to. I'm not advocating any specific service - just sharing my USER experience.

Kind regards

Debj

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011
          Jun 18, 2012 10:11 PM (in response to jmather)

I really like PayPal.  I've been using it since 2001 ---- never ever had a problem.  It's very secure third-party payment processor for transacting  online.

They reimbursed me a couple of times when  I had to raise disputes.

When  I started, I had to explain PP to people...even send them instructions when they didn't read or could'nt comprehend the PP guidelines [non English mother  tongue people].   But, now ...it's commonly used.  I have guests here this week from Germany - a retired couple...they had a PP account in Germany.

The overwhelming majority of my guests want to pay with PP...anyone who wants to use their cc  or send me a bank transfer via their PP to mine.

As  far as being quick:  it's as fast a transaction as any other competing.  I process payments in minutes using their invoice template.  I like the immediate notices I get by email. And the funds are in my PP immediately, too.

You can  sign up for a PP account for FREE...and once you log in read ALL their small print before you start to transaction rentals with it....to familiarize yourself with the usage terms and the fees involved.

I have never been  in a situation with a "guest dispute"...never had a  "reverse cc charge"  from a guest.  I know a few other owners in my location who have had  the cc reversed  on them, but they were  embroiled  in some ugly situations with their "guests".  They were a bit more careless when  they rented their places in those instances,  so I wasn't surprised to hear about the debates and  disputes the guests eventually raised with PP.   PayPal did immediately reimburse those guests....the owners had an uphill battle to get the cases reversed, so they didn't try to.

• swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,191 posts since
            Aug 30, 2011
            Jun 19, 2012 5:15 AM (in response to anja)

Yes, I love and still use PayPal.  I had developed customized billing invoices with graphics, etc. for our vacation rentals.  I also like the way you can integrate payment for anything right on any Web page you choose, so guests can pay with credit cards (whether you are selling wares or tickets to a high school reunion as I did 6 years ago - no more "the check is in the mail" situations waiting for it to arrive and then to clear if and when it does).

One thing that intrigued me about Reservation Manager for my vacation rentals was that you can take the credit card info right over the phone or in person.  You can't do this with PayPal unless you pay for their monthly "Virtual Terminal".  Not only is this handy for accepting payments in person, but I had a few issues where guests had trouble accessing PayPal, either because they had old accounts whose passwords they forgot or for some other reason they were receiving errors and alerts related to their e-mail address and account on their end which we could not see on our end.  I would have to get PayPal on the phone to resolve the issue and the back-and-forth could get tedious (and possibly discouraging for the renters).

Of course, with PayPal you are not limited to vacation rentals.  There are other great services like Square, Venmo, Cimbal, PayPal "Here" and Intuit "GoPayment" (some of which don't even charge a fee if between two private parties).

Aug 9, 2011
              Jun 19, 2012 4:51 AM (in response to swlinphx)

Hi swlinphx,

That's interesting ...your comparison to PP vs RM.  Today, I took time out to watch the pre-recorded Webinar on Reservation Manager that is  posted in the Community archive.   The Webinar explained the system and went through all the steps of using it from both the traveler and owner sides.   I can certainly see how RM is a useful tool and service.  I will probably sign up for the payment side to give it a try ....I need to know more about something by using it before I can give myself the "permission" to be critical.   It's time for me to get off the fence and take it for a spin --- before I get myself worked up over "HA's developments".

I wouldn't mind having an alternative payment service to PP even though I've been fine with it for years.

My greatest beef with "all things" is not having freedom of  choice. So,  I'm more irked by the imposition  of "mandates" than I am by "systems".   I'm open minded and flexible....but I'm quite independent ...always was...I have my own biz system that I really like ...never ever  had a transaction problem or a security issue.  I've been  working online for years ...transacting ...marketing....and I'm quite comfortable and confident about staying safe.  But, that doesn't mean I could  never  have a incident   ...so perhaps for some transactions I may like to have the RM service at hand. For some transactions, I can imagine that I'd like the added security...with certain people that I may feel insecure over even though I usually steer clear of anyone who gives me the slightest discomfort when inquiring.  For  others, I may not want to use it....but stick with my own system.  You are right:  one can sign up and just not use it...but do so to bask in the glow of the RM "badge" of approval next  to our listing. But, I do think that I will actually give  it a try.

Honestly, I never gave RM a serious moment of thought ...but because of the most recent news of HA's "enhanced security" measure that is in the making, I think it's time that I learn more about it.    On that note, I noticed that you are an experienced user...by the posts you have here. I never paid much attention to the RM threads, but I'm going to revisit them to see what more I can glean from everyone's posts and what I can learn.  Sign up.  Take it for  a spin.  I'll certainly be back here with "questions" and maybe even a rant or two .

Aug 30, 2011
                Jun 19, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to anja)

Hi anja...  Yes, I have been using PayPal for another business (before I got into vacation rentals) and also as an integrated payment systems for things such as our high school reunion six years ago, when many were still collecting payments for such things by check.  I loved how I could customize it for exactly what we needed with drop down menus ticket buyers could select on our class site (which day of event or both at discount, how many in party, discounts for guests, adding their name as they want spelled on badges, etc). I too had had it down pat for so long that I was skeptical about Reservation Manager too.  It just so happened it was getting more entenched in the HomeAway system about the same time I had some issues with guests accessing PayPal that was an issue with their account and it got tiresome and too involved getting PayPal on the phone in between us.

Also, the rates are cheaper for RM. It is 2.5% flat for all U.S. & Canada (as you know PayPal is 2.9% + 30¢ for U.S. and an additional 1% for all international including Canada, which is the just about the only foreign country we do business with).  Since we take the card by phone we don't have to wait for them to submit deposit payment (which could be a day or two) to reserve the dates before we send a contract for signature or wonder if they are having trouble with the payment instructions. We immediately "seal the deal".  Also, you are truly like a merchant and seem most professional when you can take credit cards by phone or even in person for last-minute expenses or add-ons. To be honest, we use it for all steps of the process with the customer but we encouarge most to pay the rental (when the due date comes) by mailed check as there is plenty of time for it to clear and then the fee is avoided (which can be a lot on a $7,200.00 rental).  We still mark those payments as "Paid" within Reservation Manager however, so we are still using the system for each step, including deposit refunds upon checkout.  But as I wrote earlier, PayPal is still our conduit where all income ends up and is allocated and dispersed to various bank accounts for the owner, manager wages, etc.

A couple things: If you use FlipKey/TripAdvisor too (in my opinion the best vacation rental site other than the HomeAway group) they too have a similar payment system that uses the same processing company, VacationRentPayment.  Also, I'm not sure what your contract signing process is but we use our own contract (not just click-to-sign) with RM.  If you take the credit card over the phone they are not even clicking anyway, so it makes having a valid "biometric" signature essential.  I have tried a few programs but just love RightSignature.com.  The guest reads and signs instantly with their mouse or trackpad with an actual unique human signature.  We no longer have to e-mail a .pdf of the contract for them to download, read, sign, then return via fax or scan and e-mail back, as many don't have access to a working printer, scanner and/or fax machine.

If you have any questions let me know.  I've figured out a way around most issues by now, except a couple of matters I cited in another thread (which HomeAway will hopefully soon address.)

Aug 9, 2011
      Jun 14, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to jmather)

Your question:  Would those of you who offer the credit card option know if it will entice more people to rent our unit?

When I started, I only accepted payment by check.  I got many bookings --- but I also lost a lot of business. I was asked all the time if they could use their credit cards....some would hand over the check...but the majority of those that asked me that question, I lost!  I was told  that they would not book if they could not charge it.  They wanted to use their "miles" and they did want to pay their vacations out, later.

{I'm in a fly-to location.}

When I realized how much business I was passing up, I started taking payment with c-cards.  I discovered that I had to make it easy for people to pay me....and I had to give them options, too.  Now, if I don't get the booking,  it's for some other reason.

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 827 posts since
      Mar 5, 2011
      Jun 18, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to jmather)

I think that using the HA/VRBO Reservation Manager also adds a feeling of security to the guest. They're not paying some unknown individual through some unknown third party, they're paying through the well-known and well-respected HA/VRBO, the very place through which they have inquired and are making their booking. It just takes one more "unknown" out of the equation for them.

Mike

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
        Jul 6, 2011
        Jun 18, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to mike-dfv)

I agree with DisneyFunVilla on the feeling of security that it gives a renter - I think that has been the nudge that pushed some people to rent with us instead of someone else who only took PayPal or checks. 

Other benefits:  Closing the deal quickly - To secure a reservation, we require renters to make their first payment in addition to faxing or emailing back their contract.  Being able to make that payment online through the HomeAway interface lets me wrap up the resrvation from inquiry to committed guest in less than 1/2 an hour if the guest responds quickly to the emails and really wants the reservation.  This significantly reduces the waiting and wondering whether the renter will come through or whether they will get distracted and change their mind about reserving your place.  The HomeAway credit card system lets me "set the hook" securely when I have an serious renter.

There is another benefit for homeowners who use both the reservation and payment system:  No double-booking.

With the HA system, a date remains open on the calendar until you either manually mark it booked or there is a deposit made on it through the HA payment system (only if you enter all the payment terms for that renter first of course).  Once a payment is accepted by the system, it will not accept a payment for the same dates from anyone else.  This prevents double-booking.

Although I rarely have two prospective renters hanging out there for the same dates, if the first prospect takes more that 24 hours to post their payment I will accept new inquiries and send out contracts.  I let both prospects know that there are multiple open contracts - whoever gets their payment in first gets the house.  Although I hate playing this kind of competitive game, it's necessary at times - and the HA system gives me confidence that I don't have to worry about accidentally accepting two reservation deposits.

Aug 30, 2011
      Jun 18, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to jmather)

Jmather, PayPal is the #1 most trusted online payment system, is owned and operated by the same people behind eBay and BillMeLater, and is very secure, they guard and guarantee against fraud.  PayPal came thru for us instantly the one time our security was compromised and a hacker drained our online PayPal account and all the money in our actual bank accounts that were linked to it!  We now have a system to make sure that never happens again.

HomeAway, VRBO, VacationRentals.com (and the entire HA group) as well as FlipKey/TripAdvisor all use VacationRentPayment to process credit cards, but they are only for vacation rentals, not everything as PayPal is.  They also guarantee payments up to $10,000.00!

We use a combination of both PayPal and ReservationManager.  The different is, we bill and take payments for our vacation rental business thru RM only, but we still use PayPal for other business and also to transfer funds between bank accounts of the owners, property managers, etc.

• jan.stevens Community All-Star 251 posts since
        Aug 30, 2011
        Jun 18, 2012 7:03 PM (in response to swlinphx)

JMather,  I use PayPal for 98% of my bookings.  As a US resident and with my property being in Canada this is how I am able to keep the Canadian dollars in my Canadian bank account. I have looked into other CC processing and  as a US resident I can only put the money into my US bank accounts.

Sometimes my guests have a hard time using PayPal, If I have good lead time I allow them to mail a check to my Canadian Credit Union. Our bank is so small that they just need to say "please deposit to the account of J. Stevens." My bank will even hold post dates checks in a box awaiting the deposit date.

I have heard that if their is a dispute from a guest PayPal will not protect me as the vacation rental owner like the other CC processors that VRBO uses . So far, after 8 years, all has gone very smoothly with PayPal.   

Aug 30, 2011
          Jun 18, 2012 7:16 PM (in response to jan.stevens)

I have heard that if their is a dispute from a guest PayPal will not protect me as the vacation rental owner like the other CC processors that VRBO uses.

I have heard that too.  Luckily, we have never had a PayPal dispute (only fraud, LOL).  However, that would definitely be a detriment.

Aug 30, 2011
              Jun 19, 2012 10:15 AM (in response to jmather)

No Jim, that is not true (some of the PayPal agents are just level one reps overseas, such as the Philippines, or they may not understand your intention).

I'm not sure I understand either.  You advertise on HomeAway (or whatever sites you choose), communicate with the traveler via e-mail either within HomeAway or via your outside e-mail client, and if and when they are ready to book you explain your policy and bill them thru PayPal (and can still use Reservation Manager to track and log the booking and mark the calendar).

Does that answer your question, or am I misunderstanding it?

Aug 30, 2011
                Jun 19, 2012 10:19 AM (in response to swlinphx)

One thing you did not explain, which may affect your usage of PayPal as well.  You originally wrote:

I just tried to use the HomeAway site to add their service for credit cards and ran into a problem. Is this the only option?

What exactly was the nature of this problem?

Aug 30, 2011
                  Jun 19, 2012 10:41 AM (in response to jmather)

I'm not doubting someone may have told you that or you may have inferred that, but there is some miscommunication because no PayPal employee thinks only people with their own website can use PayPal.

Anyway, did my explanation above of the entire process answer your question or work for you, or is there something else I am not taking into account in your situation?

Again, what exactly was the nature of your problem setting up Reservation Manager that you referenced in your initial post?

Aug 30, 2011
                      Jun 19, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to jmather)

Well at least you ended up at the right place -- here!  If you have any other questions let us know, but I strongly doubt you got a virus thru HomeAway or setting up Reservation Manager.  You rarely get a virus from a reputable source or scam, and it is likely you fell for a scam or other scenario at the same time in an unrelated situation.

If you want to use Reservation Manager however, continue to pursue that.  If you have a specific issue setting it up, let me know.  I have set up a few in the past and there can be some minor hurdles.  All can be worked out by e-mailing (or calling, as I prefer for financial matters) VacationRentPayment directly.

Likewise, if you have questions about PayPal let us know too.  After using it for years for several businesses and personal use, I can say we have learned a few lessons (some the hard way)!

Aug 30, 2011
                          Jun 19, 2012 10:59 AM (in response to jmather)

Sure thing.  Report back here and let us know which you decided on, how you like it and if there are any other issues or questions.

Aug 30, 2011
                                  Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM (in response to jmather)

Hi Jim, Yes, you will just sign into your payPal account and select "create an invoice."  It is pretty self explanatory from there. The client will receive your request for payment at their end. It is usually pretty easy for them as well. Once they have paid you will be notified.

When I request a 50% deposit I then go into my Outlook and set a pop up reminder to request the balance due 30 days prior to arrival.

Always be sure to go into your PayPal account to confirm that it does show in your account that the guest has paid. There is a scam out there where the guest "Pays with PayPal" and it is actually a phony email. It has never happened to me, I always confirm that it was a real payment by checking my PayPal accoutn........Just to be aware.

Jan

Aug 30, 2011
                                  Jul 2, 2012 3:36 AM (in response to jmather)

You don't have to create an invoice necessarily.  You can simply use the "Request Money" tab as well.  You just need their e-mail address.  When you do this, you will also see if the person is a registered PayPal user (under that e-mail address) or not.  If they are, they must log in to pay.  Otherwise, assure your people that they can simply pay be credit card and bypass the option to set up a PayPal account if they don't want to.

• Active Contributor 295 posts since
                  Jun 9, 2011
                  Jun 26, 2012 11:18 AM (in response to jmather)

Payment paid through PayPal Merchant shows up instantly unless PayPal puts a 24 hours hold for security reasons; either case, you get notified. Since yours had gone beyond 24 hours, you should call PayPal.

Aug 30, 2011
                  Jun 26, 2012 11:26 AM (in response to jmather)

Jmather, 

Have you looked to see if the money is in your PayPal account on line? If it is there you will then need to request that it be transferred to your checking or savings account depending on the bank accounts you have set up. There is a "transfer" tab that allows you to do this on line.

I find that once I request a "transfer" to my banking account it only takes about 48 hours for the cash to show up.

Aug 30, 2011
                  Jun 26, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to jmather)

Jmather, no PayPal payments you receive automatically go to your bank accounts as they do with Reservation Manager.  They go to your online PayPal account which can then be transferred to any of your linked bank accounts.  That usually takes 3-4 days.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Mar 19, 2012
    Jul 1, 2012 11:13 AM (in response to jmather)

I accepted credit card paymnet using VRBO and RM.  The payment was promptly credited to my bank account, but the next day I discovered a $30 charge and the payment had been removed from my bank account because the renter made an error (not intentional) when entering her card number.  I am told by HomeAway that I need to wait at least 5 days to be sure either a credit card payment OR an e-check payment is definitely good/cleared.

I now don't even consider a possible renter if there is not time for the payment to clear, as they could be given access to my home, be gone and I have nothing but a bogus credit card # to try to find them with.  I always thought that the card number was verified before a credit card transaction could ever be completed, and therefore was a means to BE SURE I had received payment, even if it was a last minute transaction.  I hate to pass up possible opportunities for rental income, but I also don't want to give someone access to my house and risk them coming & going, and even possibly damaging it, and I didn't even get paid.

Can anyone offer advice for my concerns?

May 25, 2011
      Jul 1, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to blazer)

Blazer, Since I don't use RM for my credit card payments I can't address your exact concerns about your recent issue.

However I assume you received a written contract from VRBO when you signed up to use RM, so I'd check on what it says.

The company I use for processing my payments has several stop gap measures in place: including, but not limted to: Immediate verification of the CC#, CVV@ code, expiration date and an address or Zip Code match. I get an immediate Approval Code for the sale, and if there's a denial (including an over the credit limit charge) I get immediate Customer Support to help identify the reason for denial.  It normally takes 24-48 hours to hit my bank account, but if I get an approval code I know I'm good to go.

For my own - as well as my guests- safety I do require a copy of the CC and Driver's License before I process any transaction, which has never beena problem for me. Most guests like my added level of security.

Of course, if a customer initiates a cancellation THAT is another whole storey, but I'm provided with extensive documentation.

I recently ( through my own research)   discovered that VacationRentPayments- who RM uses- does have Level 1 PCI  Compliance Validation.  Here's the # I was given for them : 866-584-5078.  MAybe they can give you better advice.

Debj

Aug 30, 2011
        Jul 2, 2012 6:53 PM (in response to msdebj)

For my own - as well as my guests- safety I do require a copy of the CC and Driver's License before I process any transaction, which has never beena problem for me. Most guests like my added level of security.

So if a guest wants to book with you they can't just give you a credit card number over the phone or enter it online, but they have to either have access to or wait to go to a scanner to scan their DL and CC and e-mail it to you?  I can't imagine asking my renters to do that each time.  Even printing, signing and scanning (or faxing) a contract takes them time usually, something I can avoid by using electronic signatures now.

Who are you using for credit card processing Debj?  Is it PayPal or PPI/PayPros or some other, and are there any fees besides transaction processing, and how much are those?

May 25, 2011
          Jul 2, 2012 3:18 PM (in response to swlinphx)

Swin, this process works for me just fine. I rarely do last minute rentals. I think one in the past 2 years, and I'm comfortable with my calendar. I have one home.

My Contract is sent via email, (often altered to a specific guest's  needs)  and they can complete and return it to me easily. I'll accept an electronic signature. But, if  they are unable to scan their info I do require additonal verification. If it's too much of a hassle for them, they have other property options.

I only use the CC processing company I've used for years ( and my family has used in other businesses) -Frontime Processing,. They have a PCI Dss Compliance rate of Level 1. My cost % is lower than 2.1 because of my history and credit rating.  I have no other fees incurred. AND excellent Customer service 24/7, should I require it. NEVER had a problem, and they interact with my bank well.

I'm not saying what works for me will work for everyone, but it works for me and my business model just fine. 

Thanks for your concern,

Debj

Aug 30, 2011
            Jul 2, 2012 6:57 PM (in response to msdebj)

I'm not saying what works for me will work for everyone, but it works for me and my business model just fine.

Thanks for your concern.

Thanks for the explanation Debj.  It wasn't that I was "concerned about how you are doing business", just confused and seeing if I was understanding correctly, since you chose to share your procedure with us.  We are here to share experiences and I know from years of mine, especially dealing with many elderly or non-computer savvy users, if I had them scan and fax or e-mail me all this ID I would turn away (or at least frustrate) many renters.  Of course, you have to do what works for you and makes you feel comfortable. 

Aug 30, 2011
      Jul 2, 2012 3:44 AM (in response to blazer)

Blazer, you say the payment was promptly credited to your bank account with RM and the next day you discovered the error?  I've never had that happen.  It always takes a few days (which is when you get the "ReservationManager: Direct Deposit Detail" e-mail alerting you iet should show up in your bank account within another 24 hours.

That does give me pause if I take a last-minute payment (less than a week before check-in) via credit card and it can still be denied or reversed within a few days though!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)