Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1971 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 2:49 PM by wiffle RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Jun 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2012 11:51 AM

Do not stay at "StayatJoes.com"  (Turquoise's Place, Gulf Shores, Alabama)

I recently rented a condo through "StayatJoes.com" via VRBO.  He rents only from Saturday to Saturday, however because of the proximity to my arrival date, July 8, he agreed to rent for my requested five nights (Sunday to Thursday).  Through two separate conversations with his secretary, I confirmed my dates and gave them my MasterCard number.  I faxed back my rental agreement on the day I received it.  Two days later, I received a call back stating they found someone who wanted to rent it Saturday to Saturday.  My signed fax agreement and verbal agreement was now void!  Their claim was that they didn't charge my credit card yet so they could do this!  I could not post this complaint as a review on VRBO because of VRBO's policy is that I must have stayed at the rental before posting a review; however I need to let everyone else know.  Be wary if you rent from "StayatJoe's"!  In fact, Don'StayatJoe's if you can....

• New Member 1 posts since
    Dec 9, 2012

this is the thing you say in the beginning. he only rent from saturday to saturday, he did you a favor by renting to you for five nights. now we all have to remember this is a business and, we all are in business to maximize our profits and, better our lives so, if some one came along behind you and, offer to rent the same unit for the full seven days and,stayatjoes had not charged your credit card yet,  i dont think this is a reason for any one not to stay at joes. i have been staying at joes for 3 years now and, the only  regreets i have is that my vacation is never long enough. oh  by the way how often do you stay at joes. this means a lot or, i would think wouldn't you.so why dont you try  staying at joes for the saturday to saturday and, i promise you will love it.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,158 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010

Most owners would not have done this -- once the contract was signed for the five day stay, it would be honored.   Yes, we are in business to make a profit, but we still honor our committments.  

I also prefer full week rentals for my summer season.  However, the way I handle it is to not accept any shorter reservations until late March -- this gives the full week rentals first chance, but allows me to fill in with shorter rentals later.  It was really inappropriate for him to accept a shorter rental so early.  

You could consult a lawyer to see if the contract was enforceable, but I suspect that without any money changing hands, the contract is null.   And really, you don't want to stay there now, you've had such a bad experience. 

Luckily, it's still early and you should be able to find something else nice.

• wiffle Contributor 217 posts since
      Feb 23, 2011

mayorbodeen wrote:

this is the thing you say in the beginning. he only rent from saturday to saturday, he did you a favor by renting to you for five nights. now we all have to remember this is a business and, we all are in business to maximize our profits and, better our lives so, if some one came along behind you and, offer to rent the same unit for the full seven days and,stayatjoes had not charged your credit card yet,  i dont think this is a reason for any one not to stay at joes. i have been staying at joes for 3 years now and, the only  regreets i have is that my vacation is never long enough. oh  by the way how often do you stay at joes. this means a lot or, i would think wouldn't you.so why dont you try  staying at joes for the saturday to saturday and, i promise you will love it.

No, the owner (I would guess that is you) did NOT do any favors. The owner made a deal and then reneged on it, which is a pretty slimy business practice. I always cringe when I hear about vacation rental owners acting like this.

Why in the world anyone would want to stay at this place after being treated like that is a mystery. Some owners really need to get a grip on reality and think about what is ethical, rather than getting a couple of extra bucks.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points