Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3115 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2012 11:50 AM by mauioceanview RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Jun 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 4, 2012 7:58 AM

Received a "best rate" request to rent my FL home March-April 2013?

Received a "best rate" request to rent my FL home March-April 2013?  Do I offer 10-20% off?  I am new to renting, so calender is empty, but nice home with ocean view.  Do I offer ask for more security?  Also, the couple has two cats and a dog.  I don't mind dogs, but unsure of cats, which mean litter box and more hair all over?  Unsure what I should do.  Thanks for any advice.

• kastnersbeachhouse Contributor 49 posts since
    Mar 13, 2012

Personally,  the only time I offer a discount is last minute when my condo isn't rented.  I feel my vacation home is offered at a fair price and to offer a discount any other time is perhaps sending a message that  my home is overpriced to start with.  I would hold strong to my pricing.   If you house is priced fairly, the rentals will come! Sheila

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011

Personally, I would not offer a "best rate" discount....especially if they want to bring all those pets to your home.  If you go ahead with the "deal"...make certain that you take a good high security {ref., possible extensive cleaning / damage to your home / property}.   Generally, with or without pets, I do not offer "best rate" upon request.

And... your "discount" seeker is asking for  March-April 2013 !    What's the rush....?...being patient will bring you a better deal with a better inquirer for your nice home with the ocean view!

P.S. there are earlier posts on the subject of "discounts", "pets", "security".....to read what others have experienced.  You can find them all by using the Search For Answers field at the top of this page.

• lrbaldwin Active Contributor 757 posts since
    Feb 16, 2011

Rather than lowering your price, you need to INCREASE it due to their pets.  I'm with Anja, you'll probably be better off not renting to them at all.  2 cats and a dog?  Not in MY house!

Linda

• sapphiresteve Active Contributor 506 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010

You have two issues: pets and a request for a discount.

Now is the time to establish a "pet policy, and put it on your listing.

As for a request for a "best rate"--just give them your best rate. It may be exactly the same as the "regular rate", or anything lower.

Steve

• stjvilla Active Contributor 626 posts since
    May 27, 2011

Agree with the others: two issues here.  The dates requested have to be in your shoulder or even high season, possibly over a holiday?  We would not offer a discount, assuming you feel your rates are fair and in line with the rates in your area.  No need to give a discount just because they ask.

It's your choice if you want to accept pets, but we would really worry about accepting cats.  Not only are there the litter box mess/odor and furniture-clawing issues, but we had a post a while back about a guest who brought a cat, it escaped and the guests couldn't find it and had to leave it behind while the VR owner tried to lure it out of hiding.  Dogs are attached to their owners but cats are more attached to their homes.  Our opinion - we would refuse a cat on vacation!

• wiffle Contributor 217 posts since
    Feb 23, 2011

Odds are that these prospective renters have sent the same request to every vacation rental listing in your area. They will likely just look for the lowest rate.

In my experience, discount seekers, or those looking for the cheapest property, are not very interested in the quality of your home, or what your individual home has to offer. They just want CHEAP. And these people want to bring pets for two months? No thank you.

You have a whole year to find people who are interested in your individual property.

This is just my experience. I agree with everyone else too, decide your pet policy and stick to it.

• murdockvacationrentals Contributor 41 posts since
    Jan 28, 2011

I also agree with all of the above. If you do not start getting some bookings soon then you may want to do some more research on your rates and also make sure your property listings are as complete as possible so that you are maximizing your exposure.

I have to chuckle when people attempt to negotiate discounts on reservations that are 8-12 months away! It simply does not make sense to do it because you will almost always be leaving money on the table. Since you are new to this it will take a season or two for you to get comfortable with what a good rate is, when you should discount and when you shouldn't. Discount for last-minute reservations to fill up your calendar and then maximize the effectiveness of your listing in order to fill up your calendar in the future months.

As for pets, it is your call, but based on what you have said, you should not allow cats in your property. It is your property, your rules. Period. Pet and smoking policies need to be clearly defined, prominently displayed and strictly enforced or you will have problems. People understand and respect that, but there are always those that will try to find someone that will 'make an exception' for their sweet little bundle of joy that is the most perfect pet on the planet, if you know what I mean. Hey, we love animals, but sometimes it just doesn't work to have them in our homes. Future guests may be highly sensitive to pets and could end up miserable in a vacation home that has allowed them in the past.

Good luck with your rentals.

Munro Murdock
    RA, MBA, Ko Olina Resident
    Hawaii Life Real Estate Brokers

www.HawaiiLife.com  |  Munro@HawaiiLife.com

View our Ko Olina vacation rental HERE

​"Another day in the life...the Hawaii Life!"​

• codcape Contributor 70 posts since
    Apr 3, 2012

I get this all the time.  I tell them unless I'm desperate to rent it, meaning, there's a time crunch I do not lower my rate and even then you may be surprised how a last min person will step in to rent it.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points