Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1874 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 10:35 PM by ruma.costello RSS
New Member 3 posts since
Jun 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 4, 2012 10:08 AM

Weird Experience

We contracted to rent a San Diego condo - VRBO #xxxxx. Our initial inquiries, agreement to rent,  and a copy of the rental agreement were all done via email, successfully.  I sent a final email advising the owner that the contract and check would be in the mail on a specific date and I followed up by mailing everyting directly to the owner's address provided in the contract 3 weeks  before our scheduled arrival..  Upon our arrival, to our surprise, we found the owner staying there himself.  He said he never heard back from me, never received the contract/ check, so even though I have it all in writing that I agreed to rent and mailed the check, he "assumed" we had decided not to rent the place and decided to fly out and stay there himself. With 4 adults and 2 kids in tow on Memorial Day weekend, we sat in our car and called Hotels.Com who promptly found us a couple of hotel rooms that would allow early check in.  This obviously cost us much more than the cost of the condo, but what else could we do?  VRBO would not allow me to post a review because we had not actually stayed at the place.  I feel I should have been able to at least warn people to send their checks via registered mail and to buy the rental guarantee insurance on this place.  This is the type of transaction that leaves a bad taste even though we have successfully rented from VRBO for Hawaii condos on numerous occasions.  I should have realized that the legitimate owners, as business people, always followed up with me, provided me detailed information, and always confirmed payment. My bad; I generally assume people are good.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,154 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Jun 4, 2012 9:33 PM (in response to ruma.costello)
    Re: Weird Experience

Did he cash your check? 

Did he not try to contact you if he thought the payment was late? 

It's more than weird, it's horrible; I'm so sorry your vacation was spoiled in this way. 

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Jun 4, 2012 10:25 PM (in response to ruma.costello)
    Re: Weird Experience

Wow...what a shame for you arriving on vacation!

My first response is to ask the same question:   Was your check cashed?   If yes, have you asked your bank to trace when...where... it was cashed?   {I'm just wondering if the mail was lost....stolen even...and cashed by someone else.}

On the other hand:  it would not be the first time that I hear about owners with sloppy admin.  If he cashed your check then he should refund you for "forgetting" that you were booked....if that's what happened here {which is what I suspect}.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points