Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1465 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 3, 2012 2:51 PM by harborfields RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Jun 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2012 8:42 AM

Getting back deposit & payment after owner cancels

I've rented previously before with both HomeAway and VRBO with no issues. This time, two weeks before I'm due to arrive in Orlando with my family, I find out that the owner rented the house to someone else after receiving my deposit and balance without notifying me. Only after I inquired about the check-in process, did I receive an e-mail reply that the house was reserved to someone else.

Initially, the owner e-mailed me and stated she can mail me back my balance payment check. So, I inquired about my deposit, which she already cashed, and she said will not refund my deposit. I checked the rental agreement it stated - 'The client may cancel the holiday booked at any time after it has been confirmed. Cancellation must be in writing in the form of a letter or e-mail. We will not keep deposits/rental fees if the property can be re-rented. If the property is rented for a fraction of the original rental fee because it is posted as a late availability listing, the portion of the rent recovered will be refunded." NOTE: I DID NOT CANCEL THE BOOKING.  She claimed that she just received my balance payment 2 weeks before my vacation after I inquired about it, so she booked it to someone else. She also claims there are problems with the U.S. Postal service since the post-marked was much earlier.

I called her and we discussed the rental agreement policy about returning deposits/rental fees. She and I both verbally agreed that she will return my deposit & balance payment check minus any discounts applied. I sent her an e-mail confirming our agreement and to e-mail me back stating she agrees to refund my money via certified mail since she has problems with the U.S. Postal service. I also requested that she provide proof of the rental discounts applied. I gave her a deadline to confirm via e-mail and still no reply after the deadline.

I think she mistakenly booked it to someone else and still wants to keep my money. I'm not sure what else to do about getting my deposit & balance check back. I think it's only reasonable that she refund my money since I don't have the vacation rental and she booked it to someone else.

I should have checked Better Business Bureau, her LLC Corp. had previous complaints. Should I file a small claims court? I don't live in the same state as her LLC.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points