Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
This discussion is locked
14105 Views 55 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 7:59 AM by shannon.martin RSS
New Member 13 posts since
May 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2012 2:30 PM

Anyone else having issues with renewal?

Hi, this is my first time posting.  I have been on VRBO since last May.  My subscription renewal was due May 16th.  I renewed on May 7th and VRBO charged my credit card and I received an email receipt stating my listing was live.  I had a renter email me telling me my listing was no longer available, I looked into it and when I put in my VRBO # is says it is no longer active and directs me to other units in my condo complex.  I emailed and called VRBO and they said it may be up to two weeks before they will be able to fix the problem...this is crazy!  Is anyone else having these issues?  Not only am I not getting any inquires, but the bookings I already have are getting nervous that they can't find my home on VRBO anymore.  Help!!

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 835 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    May 22, 2012 8:19 AM (in response to vacationretreat)
    Re: Anyone else having issues with renewal?

I would do two things. First, make sure you get the full year of live listing. In other words, your year of advertisement doesn't start until your listing is back up and fully functional, not from May 16th. Second, for your guests nervousness, politely explain that it's a VRBO issue and they are working to resolve it. As travellers, they should be able to call VRBO directly and confirm that you are real and they (VRBO) are having trouble, not you. If you're listed anywhere else, say HomeAway or AirBnB, you could point your upcoming guests to those listings to help calm their fears.

Mike

• cycy Contributor 27 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    May 24, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

I have been having issues also. I have been trying to get a special offer up.I did everythign right ans VRBO keeps telling me that it will take a week to fix. I have been very upset because I have available weeks and I am hoping a special offer will bring them in.

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      May 24, 2012 1:33 PM (in response to cycy)

I'd opted out of auto renew, since I was dropping down a tier. When I went online to renew with my CC it was very odd. ( I did this 12 days before my lisitng was to expire)

I DID get a Confirmation, with an order #. BUT there was a notation saying I had to call VRBO at 877-228-0710, M-F between 8am and 5pm CST, and provide them with my CC #.

This was confusing, since the system had taken my CC card info. (and my bank acct. had been debited) THAT was even more odd.

I did call, and spoke with with a Shannon Martin.  She insured me my payment had been accepted, and gave me her contact phn #, in case I had problems.

My listing was set to expire on 5/19/12, and every time I checked my Dashboard up until 5/17/12, it kept saying my listing expired on 5/19/12. I got nervous, and submitted a Help ticket. Never heard back,  though I did get an email saying my concern had been received.

As of now (5/24/12), my listing ad is still up, and Dashboard shows, under "Expires"  n/a. After everything, I still check every day, which i shouldn't have to do.

I'm HOPING - (never assume anything these days) - that all is okay. It would be great if they would at least send me an email saying my Help ticket had been dealt with (and how) and that it was closed.

I wonder if HA/VRBO manages their renewals "in house" or if they contract that out. Same for their help Desk. Many companies now contract those services out.

The entire experience was  unprofessional, and left me feeling very uncomfortable. I'd like to know that my substantial advertising payment  was in better hands.

I hope HA/VRBO works on improving their payment/renewal system. I realize they believe the Traveler is their real customer, but until those travelers start paying  the ad fees it would be in their best interest to make their PAYING customers ( we advertisers)  a top priority.

Deb J

• New Member 8 posts since
      May 24, 2012
      May 24, 2012 2:39 PM (in response to cycy)

Have you checked to see if your home is available on the site?  My home shows unavailable even though I am current!

May 24, 2012
    May 24, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

I have contacted VRBO they said it's a "Known Defect".  Known to them only, apparently, because they DID NOT notify me.  I found out after not receiving inquiries for two weeks, Now I am receiving calls from guest who have previous booked and are concerned that the property is "no longer available.  I am losing revenue daily and fielding phone call from nervous customers. VRBO has said they dont know how long this problem wil take to fix.  HELP!!!!!

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      May 24, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to hawaiilady)

Have you made contact with VRBO in writing (email)?  I think it's important to have written documentation. At the very least, get the name and direct phone # of the Customer Service member you speak with. Then ask to speak to their supervisor.

If you have guests concerned that your listing has vanished (I understand their concern), you should  demand that VRBO provide some type of written explanation stating that THEY are at fault, and that your home is still available and in good standing. At the very least, provide you with a document you can cut and paste to your guests.

IF this is an internal problem HA/VRBO is  having they should be required to make you whole, in my opinion.

Debj

May 24, 2012
    May 24, 2012 9:36 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

I'm new to VRBO and they charged my card for my listing a week ago. The listing is still not live and when I called them yesterday I was alerted to this exact problem. I'm asking for my money back and going elsewhere. I heard that VRBO was the best place to list my property but I'm very dissapointed that they have a known issue, they don't let anyone know that they are having this issue, they still charge my card and then they expect me to contact them when I notice their problem. They then tell me they may have it fixed in a few weeks.

Remind me again why they are the best place to list?

May 24, 2012
    May 25, 2012 11:44 AM (in response to vacationretreat)

Here's what I found out. Seems to be affecting new and renewing customers. I am a new customer so not too hard for me to fix, but for renewing listings, my suggestions will result in you losing your feedback on your listing. You may be able to do it within your same profile, and not create a new user profile, but I do not know.

Anyhow, here it is:

After hours of phone time with VRBO I figured out how to fix this. It is not exactly easy, but here goes:

It turns out that they were having issues for most of the last 2 weeks following a system upgrade. Nobody seems to know why or what is going on. Not inspiring confidence.

Anyhow, the CSR I spoke with today said that he received a lot of calls like this in the past 2 weeks but that people who are sigining up today are not having problems.

So, I canceled my listing, canceled the charges with my CC company (after VRBO said they would refund my money in 30 days!) opened a new account and recreated my listing. It went live moments after I submitted it and looks like it is working.

While a bit painful to recreate the listing, it is now working. Unfortunately, this is not a great solution for existing VRBO owners/users whose renewals are caught up in this snafu. If you create a new account and listing, you lose all of your feedback. I wish all existing owners whose properties have disappeared good luck! Sounds like you may need it.

• New Member 13 posts since
      May 24, 2012
      May 30, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to colorado_al)

When you made the new listing, did you have to get a whole new sign in register

May 24, 2012
    May 25, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

I asked reps at VRBO a week ago if they could cancel my listing and repost it to see if that would fix the problem. They said it wouldn't because new listings were also having the problem. They discouraged me against trying it saying that I would lose tenure as well as reviews.  hereis a couple other things I have tried as well. I tried to renew my listing again to 2014 that didn't work.  I tried creating a new listing on Homeaway and because that links to VRBO it hasn't gone live either.  This is a high season and I don't know what else to do? This is a colossal failure!

• New Member 1 posts since
    May 25, 2012
    May 25, 2012 3:54 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

I have asimilar thing coming - I paid but the web site says they will remove me on June 15th

Several attempt to the joke they call "customer Service" (A setup that befits maximum a fourtth world country in thbneir case) have gone unanswered.

Therefore I started using another site - if those jerks take me off I will simply sue them. 

They used to listen to their cusstomers and now they are merely a disaster waiting to happen.  I plan to move most of my efforts elsewhere.

Shalom Wertsberger

• shannon.martin Contributor 221 posts since
      Feb 23, 2011
      May 29, 2012 2:46 PM (in response to saltamar)

Hi Saltamar,

Let me first of all assure you that our phone and email Customer Support operations for HomeAway US is located and staffed in the United States.  Due to the transition of our back-end admin systems for VRBO to a new (more robust) system, we've run into a few unanticipated defects that we are working to resolve as soon as we can. Because of these  defects, the response times for calls and emails into Customer Support may be longer than normal. I hope can you can bear with us as we work to make sure these issues are taken care of.  I checked on your case, and saw that you will  be notified via email when our team has confirmed your specific issue has been resolved.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Shannon

May 24, 2012
        May 29, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to shannon.martin)

Shannon, I have a question:

Will HomeAway/VRBO reimburse people for missed bookings because their pages are offline? If a person was set up for autorenewal and your system screwed up (during one of the busiest booking times of the year) and now these folks have empty rentals, what is VRBO going to do to compensate them?

Also, is this problem affecting anything else on the site? Are rental requests or payments or anything else not happening?

• New Member 3 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    May 29, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

Yes, just listed a new place on Friday.  When it still wasn't listed on Saturday, I contact vrbo using the CALL ME access.  They went through and made it happen.  Maybe try that.

I was worried I'd miss folks together for the holiday planning for a Summer week away.  I had several issues in the Spring where my site just didn't load for a few days.

And yes, I would tell them you want a CREDIT in the realm of a free month or two for missing a major travel weekend.  This isn't rocket science, but they do seem to be having trouble keeping up with growth.  I've started looking for alternate sites - - there are a ton that offer first year free. Haven't felt they do the job yet, but enough problems and I'll look harder.  Money always talks.

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Jun 18, 2012 10:29 AM (in response to vacationretreat)

Well, it's still happening.  I renewed my VRBO and upgraded to level 1 on 6/12.

No change in rankings in the first few days afterwards, but I figured it might take take a while, so I told myself "Be patient...."

Now, I'm invisible.  Or at least my listing is.  As of 6/16 (the date the original listing would have expired), my listing doesn't show in the searches, and if a customer types in my VRBO # in the box at the top right of the search screen, it just brings up the listing of all the properties in my area.

Come on.  Really?  I pay extra to get a "better" service, and I find VRBO can't even provide the basics like registering a renewal? 

Worse yet, they've known about this for a while now?

I'm not a whiner; I'm the Dude with the Rose Colored Glasses, the guy who's glass is always half full, the boy humming "The sun will come out tomorrow". 

But I've also been a development manager for many a year, and run both QA and Customer Support departments.  And rule number one at every company I worked for was always - Fix what you have to keep your current customers happy before you start something new to try to grow the company.  'Cuz if your current customers aren't happy, they'll make it known to all those potential future customers, and your investment will be for nothing.

HomeAway - this episode has turned one of your cheerleaders into a detractor.  I'm so disappointed.

• sapphiresteve Active Contributor 506 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    Jun 17, 2012 11:47 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

Anja.

If they haven't fixed the problem by August (I can't believe what I just wrote), I suggest not trying to renew online" Instead, call customer service and renew on the phone. It may bypass the problem.

Steve

• sapphiresteve Active Contributor 506 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    Jun 21, 2012 10:52 AM (in response to vacationretreat)

qigongqueen

Thanks for that post about not bothering to try renewing by phone. I was about to, and decided to renew online instread. I was kicking myself in the head for this decision until I read your post

Steve.

• New Member 6 posts since
      Jun 18, 2012
      Jun 21, 2012 12:58 PM (in response to sapphiresteve)

Thanks, Steve, The follow up is interesting.  After weeks of attempting to contact the VRBO customer service, by email and phone both, it was only hours after I posted, that miraculously my listing was re-listed.  And customer service called me every two hours until they got me on the phone, to apologize.  I wonder what they are doing.  It seems they were monitoring the community forum, and betcha it was the threat to complain of fraud through my credit card company that caught their eye.  But who knows.

Best,

Beth

• offlogic New Member 5 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011
    Jul 10, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to vacationretreat)

Just to let you know that as of today 7/10/12 VRBO still has the same problem as described above. I am presently experiencing a "not available" listing after having my cc charged last friday and of course they have no record of same, blah blah, technical issue, "we're working on it, howlong for fix?, "can't say". Wow, and I have to pay for this gross incompetance. I am thinking of trying to renew over the phone and then cancel the first charge. Problem is VRBO is currently answering their phones with a message that says " no customer service people are currently available, call back in two hours"!!!!!!!!! What, did they all quit in frustration because they did'nt have intelligent answers for their customers? Can't believe how this is going to hurt my summer bookings. Any current thoughts about our problem is appreciated.

Jul 16, 2012
        Jul 19, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to vacationretreat)

This is my first time posting here...Have been with VRBO for 5 years and up until recently, been very pleased.  However, we renewed via cc online 7/6/12, 5 days before our renewal date and unfortunately, it never got renewed and my experience was the same as the above (no sense repeating all of that).  If it weren't for the fact we've invested 5 years and have 60+ reviews, we'd throw in the ropes and go elsewhere at this point!  So 13 days after making our payment our site remains offline and they're statement to those who click on our VRBO badge that's on our website..."This listing is no longer available   Please view our other listings in Geneva-on-the-Lake"

I did write to the CEO, Brian Sharples, 1011 W Fifth St, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703, still waiting for his reply

Also, when I posted on VRBO's Facebook the question ...Was anyone having this problem?, yeah...they took my post off and blocked me .  Okay...I feel better

Message was edited by: rbkeane

• offlogic New Member 5 posts since
          Jul 31, 2011
          Jul 19, 2012 2:32 PM (in response to rbkeane)

Mr. Keane:

Please private message me your email address and I will relay how I managed this problem.

S. D. Sherman

Jul 16, 2012
          Jul 19, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to rbkeane)

So, if I'm told by VRBO's CSR that they cannot track the payment from my cc that was in fact listed on my cc's activity, the only logic is that I had a fraudulent transaction against my account...dah, it's a given, I'll report this to Capital One immediately.  This forum does help one to think things through

Jun 18, 2012
            Jul 19, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to rbkeane)

Yes indeed that's how I resolved things.  Everyone on this forum should report it to their credit card companies--VBRO's activities amount to credit card fraud.  You bought a product.  Credit card was charged.  Product wasn't delivered.  Fraud.

Jul 16, 2012
              Jul 19, 2012 3:24 PM (in response to qigongqueen)

Agree!

• New Member 2 posts since
              Jul 25, 2012
              Jul 25, 2012 7:38 PM (in response to qigongqueen)

same thing happened to me!  I renewed my listing and my charge card was debited.  VRBO states they have no record of this payment.  This has been almost a month ago and my listing is still not active and customer service states they are "looking into it"...I have asked repeatedly for a supervisor to call me..that's not happening either. What can be done?  I just want to get what I paid for.

Jun 18, 2012
                Jul 25, 2012 9:06 PM (in response to vallaug)

So what are you waiting for?  File a complaint with your credit card company!  This is credit card fraud!  They charge you, they do not deliver the product.  What are you people waiting for?  VRBO is NOT responding!  What are we, sheep?

• New Member 2 posts since
                  Jul 25, 2012
                  Jul 26, 2012 4:13 PM (in response to qigongqueen)

I have disputed the charge, however, ultimately I want my listing renewed.  that is what keeps me hounding vrbo.  I was hoping someone was successful and could give me some hints..this is very frustrating

Jun 18, 2012
                    Jul 26, 2012 8:22 PM (in response to vallaug)

Yes I was successful, I'm still listed too, that's what I wanted, for this company to just do what they had done for me for four years...all I can do is share that the day that I said on this forum that I'd call the credit card company and claim fraud is the day that I finally got a response.  I had phoned several times (being on hold for 14 mins. and then being kicked off each time) in addition to emailing with no responses.  When they did respond, they called and left messages, including saying they'd call me every two hours until they could speak with me to explain that they had a glitch.  Ha as if that wasn't apparent.  Maybe all coincidence...it may not have to do with anything I did, but that's how it turned out.  My listing is still active and they did make it right.  But for two weeks I got no response, then I found this forum, and stated I'd complain to my credit card company.  That is the time line, and it looks like that made a difference, but at this point I think not.  I think their problems are so big by now that even that doesn't matter to them.  WTF, they can't correct their issues?  This happened to me in mid June, and now it's the end of July and people are still having this issue?  WTF did they do???

This is a BIG opportunity for some other business...to enter with competition.

Good luck,

• shannon.martin Contributor 221 posts since
                      Feb 23, 2011
                      Jul 27, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to qigongqueen)

Hi quigongqueen,

I'd like to help clear up the issues that have been brought up on this discussion.  First of all, we are absolutely committed to getting and keeping your property listings live on our site.  When you are successful, we are successful, so there is no reason for us to not want your listing on our site where you can be earning money!

What has happened in this situation is related to an upgrade on our admin systems for VRBO.  There was an unexpected defect that kept renewals from processing properly to keep the listings live on the site.  Our software developers were notified as soon as we saw it happening and they took steps to fix the problem going forward.  However, there were a number of listings affected in the meantime that we are working to bring back up.  These are being fixed programmatically as well as one by one when we are notified.  Thus it can take some time for your listing to be live again, regardless of how many times you contact our Customer Support team.  Even if you talk to the manager, they are not a programmer, and have to rely on someone in our development team to fix the listing.  We expect all of these to be fixed within the next week (our team is working diligently to check for any others that may have fallen through the gap).

Again, we understand the frustration this has caused each and every one of you and ask that you are patient with us as we work to get everyone's listing back where it belongs. We are all working towards the same goal for you!

Regards,

Shannon

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)