Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
46992 Views 113 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2011 10:55 AM by beartoothcleaning RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • New Member 4 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Feb 25, 2011 9:44 AM (in response to john.grandefeld)
    Re: Cleaning Fees

I'd love to eliminate the cleaning fee, but we allow weekend (2 day) rentals as we are in a major ski resort area...and if I split our cleaning bill in half and tacked it to the daily rate, that would be $65 more per night.  And then if I add $130 to the weekly rate, it means that people who stay 6 nights would be paying several hundred dollars more than those who stay 7 nights. That just doesn't work.  And yes, my housekeeper does charge $30 an hour, and it usually takes her 3-4 hours to clean our place...including shoveling the snow from the driveway to the side deck (only a few feet distance, but last week we had 10 1/2 FEET of snow come down and this week the forecasters have promised at least another 2 FEET of snow.

• Currently Being Moderated
    91. Feb 25, 2011 10:06 AM (in response to landlord)

About the dog in the apartment..

Something we do for our clients that have rentals that allow dogs- We put flea collars inside the vacuum canister, so when we vacuum- we are pulling the fleas up and killing them.  We have also encouraged the properties with dogs to leave blankets/sheets that are no longer "in service" for the tennants to put on furniture so keep dog hair off of it.

If they are there a month, a spraying fee is completely acceptable and understandable.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011
    92. Feb 25, 2011 11:23 AM (in response to sjde)

How do I stop all these emails?

• New Member 8 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    93. Feb 25, 2011 12:37 PM (in response to tom)

I wish I knew

• New Member 20 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    94. Feb 25, 2011 12:48 PM (in response to tom)

I have written and asked the administrator how to stop all these b....y emails, but no answer yet.

Sänt via BlackBerry från Telenor.

• New Member 20 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    96. Feb 25, 2011 12:57 PM (in response to djhering)

Thanks for the advice. Hope they change it so you can choose if you want to follow a thread, instead of having to opt out every time you choose to comment.

Sänt via BlackBerry från Telenor.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    98. Feb 26, 2011 7:57 AM (in response to djhering)

My husband and I rent our lake house in VA.  It is a 5 bedroom 4.5 bath 4000 sq ft log home.  We charge a cleaning fee of $100 per stay regardless of the stay length.  It cost us $150 per cleaning.  We tried to increase the cleaning fee but started to get a lot of "I'll clean it myself" which is just not an option.  Setting the fee to $100 seemed to be the right amount for our area and we do not get any push back for the fee.  If someone stays longer than a week I give them the option to have the cleaners come in but they must pay the full cost of the cleaning.  Most people do want this option and do request the cleaners come at least weekly for $150.  

• Contributor 27 posts since
    Jan 26, 2011
    99. Feb 26, 2011 12:26 PM (in response to djhering)

Does anyone charge a cleaning fee only for longer stays? It makes sense a 7 night rental will have more cleaning than a 2 nighter.

Plus a $100 cleaning fee on a week rental isn't that much more per night, but on a 2 or 3 night rental, it's steep.

Sue

• Contributor 24 posts since
    Jan 20, 2011
    100. Feb 26, 2011 2:21 PM (in response to sjde)

we charge the 150 cleaning fee no matter how long the guest stays-  2000 sf condo -      our cleaning crew changes the sheets on 4 beds,    cleans 4 bathrooms,    vacuums,   mops,   dusts,    sweeps balcony,  cleans kitchen,    cleans windows and patio table  etc...   takes 3 people about an hour and a 1/2  - 2 hrs   -   

• sybil.mager New Member 1 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    101. Feb 27, 2011 6:33 PM (in response to djhering)
    Cleaning Fees

Most owners in our area now charge a cleaning fee.  The fee depends upon the number of bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchens.  The more detail work required...the longer the cleaners are working!  Our cleaners charge between $20 - 30 an hour.  We determine what it should cost (based on our staff estimates) and that's how we determine a rate for each property.

• Contributor 62 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    102. Mar 1, 2011 8:46 PM (in response to djhering)

We don't charge anything, but ask the guests to make the cabin look exactly the same as when they arrived.

In the contract we have some stipulated damages (how much we charge per hour, gas, and dump fees) if they don't comply.

We have almost never had an issue and peopel are happy thye don't haev to pay additionial money.

We're probably missing out on quite a bunch o fadditionial income tho as almost all the other agencys charge at least $100.00 for a cleaning fee.

• New Member 21 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    103. Mar 2, 2011 7:55 AM (in response to djhering)

I charge $150 but give my weekly renters the option to do it themselves with specific instructions.  works well with most people.  if they dont do it i take it from their deposit.

• spoonbill Contributor 105 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    104. Mar 4, 2011 10:48 AM (in response to djhering)

I charge $150 cleaning fee no matter how long the rental (over 7 nights I give them the option to have an additional cleaning).  I pay the service $140 so I make a very small profit on it.  This helps defray the cost of administering and working with the cleaning company.  They only have 5 hours to clean and turn around during peak season and it pretty much takes them that long to do the level of job I expect.

Finding competent, reliable and high quality cleaning services is a real challenge.  Many just want to do a quick surface job and that invites the next renters to complain about the cleaning job.  Before my current company, I had a company that advertised as being a premier service.  They did an absolutely horrible job.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points