Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
51610 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2014 9:41 AM by mel5431 RSS
New Member 5 posts since
Mar 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 12, 2012 12:13 PM

Ukraine Scams - Please Help

I own a ski property and I have a potential renter that sounds great but a little odd.  They are from Ukraine and want to rent my Ski condo in WV for 1 week in Summer.  Is there any type of scam from international starting points that I should be aware of?  So far there has been no odd request other than they want to rent my place.  Which is awesome obviously because I will be happy to have a renter in summer.  I'm also totally happy to have people from anywhere in the world of course.  I just thought I would check if any phishing or fraud takes place like this etc.

Thanks!

• Active Contributor 295 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    Mar 13, 2012 3:41 PM (in response to jbrow31215)
    Re: Ukraine Scams - Please Help

You’ve supplied us with very little information to make an educated determination, so I will make an assessment with what’s on hand.

Ukraine is a known place where vacation rental scammers operate and many Owners and Travelers can attest to being victimized by scammers operating in that area. There are very few Ukrainians that can afford to travel to the U.S. to vacation, let alone obtain a tourist visa to the U.S. And if they could, they are certainly wealthy, but even those would prefer to travel to well known tourist places in the U.S. given that it is a rare occurrence or once in a lifetime opportunity, places like New York, Disney World, Grand Canyon, Hollywood, and the likes, certainly not your place in Snowshoe, West Virginia, where its main attraction is specifically geared for skiers during the winter months, and certainly not a week coop-up in your Lodge during the summer. You get my drift?

If the Inquirer progressed to telling you in his subsequent emails, any of the following, then that is the “coup de grace” it is a scam.

>> Wants to pay by certified check, cashier's check, or unsecured wire transfer.

>> Offers to pay more than your stated rate, or explains to you that their HR has made a mistake of sending you an over-payment that included their plane ticket and now wants you to send them the difference by way of a certified check or wire transfer.

At this point, I see classic symtoms of a scam, perhaps a crescendo that might build up to a "FINALE" - the “coup de grace”. Should you wish to proceed, do so with extreme CAUTION!

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Mar 12, 2012 2:26 PM (in response to tfv)

Just above your OP on this page, there is a blue section with the words "Search For Answers". Type in Ukraine and you can read a number of very informative posts on scams from the Ukraine.

Jun 9, 2011
      Mar 12, 2012 2:54 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

It has SCAM written all over it. The Inquirer has delivered the "coup de grace"!

The check he will provide will be a fake one, and may even clear. Sometimes they try to fake a check of a company, and the company may be a legitimate one and the company may not notice the debit until several months later. That will certainly come back to haunt you, as you may be targeted for an investigation on a possible fraudster since you cashed the check. A sheriff may be knocking on your door, or an FBI agent. Save yourself the trouble – don’t even cash the check.

• New Member 2 posts since
      Jul 27, 2011
      Mar 15, 2012 1:14 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I received the same email but with a different name:

Hello

Thanks for the updated information.

We are okay with the accommodation and cost .

we would also like to confirm  the reservation on the following information:

- Mrs Erinka Jansonaite

49/71 Marikovakad, 82209 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

Please do forward me the following details for payment

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

Erinka Jansonaite

I say SCAM, and will not reply.

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
        Apr 27, 2011
        Mar 15, 2012 2:22 PM (in response to santafecasita)

Same  here.  I knew it was a scam right from the get go when there were only 2 guests looking to rent my 4 br lake house which is way expensive for just 2 people.  I asked them about their group and I got the below boilerplate response and didn't answer my questions which was more evidence of a fraud.

Hello

We are okay with the accommodation and cost  .I would also

like to confirm  the reservation on the following information:

- Mr Igor Gluck & mrs Nancy Gluck

64 frunze road, 89240 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I

have arrange for payment inform of a cashier's check

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Hope to hear from you soon, please do also reconfirm the total fees 

Regards

Nancy Gluck

• kelli.gerrity New Member 1 posts since
      Mar 11, 2012
      Dec 12, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

This is the exact email I received from the Ukraine as well.  I thought it was fishy from the very beginning.  After sending them out a contract and before I began to dig around in the HomeAway Community, this is the email I received from them.....

Good afternoon

I am sorry for all the delay in payment .

There was a mix up in the payment sent to you ,I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and the other for my traveling agent But all payments was issued in your name and sent .

I tried to correct this but it was in vain as i was ask to resolve the problem myself. It would have to go through a very long process to change this error . Please I don't know what to do.

I have been advised me to contact you since these checks where issued in your name , so you should be able to clear them into your account. As soon as you have the checks cleared to your account you are to deduct your rent and remit the balance to my travel agent Please do let me know how you can help on this issue .

Thanks

• New Member 1 posts since
      Jan 5, 2013
      Jan 5, 2013 12:34 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I owe a property in Florida advertised throught HomeAway. I got two emails, supposely from the Ukraine, identical to the ones reported here. I am frustrated that HomeAway does not allow us to post their email addresses when it is obviously a scam and could save owners time and frustation having the scammers email address reported. Thanks to the discussion found here, I now know I am dealing with scammers.

Nov 8, 2012
      Jan 15, 2013 11:30 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

Had the same e-mail, but mine was from Guzel Zakirova. Just starting to rent and this was my first inquiry...not a great way to start.

• tybeebridges New Member 4 posts since
      Jul 13, 2013
      Jul 13, 2013 4:45 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

EXACTLY the message I received! Wondering what I can do with the check if I do indeed receive it.

• mlbmaine Active Contributor 903 posts since
        Mar 2, 2012
        Jul 13, 2013 11:44 AM (in response to tybeebridges)

If you receive a check, throw it in the trash.  If you check other posts in the Community about this scam, the scammer sends a fraudulent check (most likely a bogus cashier's check).  If you deposit this Cashier's check, it can take several weeks for your bank to discover the fraud and they will come back to you looking for the money.  I believe that one owner posted that their bank even froze their account because they had deposited a fake cashier's check in their account.

• tybeebridges New Member 4 posts since
          Jul 13, 2013
          Jul 13, 2013 1:24 PM (in response to mlbmaine)

Thanks so much, mlb! I also notified VRBO customer support and got a GREAT response from them in short time. They blocked that sender and said they couldn't send out a blanket notification because that would blacklist them as scammers themselves. (I bet that would create a lot of email for all of us to delete, too.) They encouraged me to keep reporting anything like this, and directed me to their links on scamming and other problems. So thanks again for the network!  This is our second year on VRBO and first instance of this type thing, knock on wood. We are pleased with VRBO.

• mel5431 New Member 3 posts since
      Jan 4, 2014
      Jan 4, 2014 9:41 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

I just received the verbatim verbiage you have entered here from an inquiry purportedly from Ukraine. Definitely a scam.

Mar 12, 2012
    Mar 12, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Definitely a scam--got the exact same wordage as the person above just with a  different name.

Today I get this song and dance that checks for deposit and travel agent both made out to me but once check cleared to send other money to travel agent--YEAH RIGHT--NOT!

Send back a reply can't do this and I know it is a scam--came here to check it out just to make sure and found this thread!!

• New Member 13 posts since
    Sep 15, 2011
    Mar 13, 2012 2:22 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Gosh..... I guess the Ukranians are "working overtime" this week as we, too, received a similarly worded inquiry concerning our apartment in Venice, Italy!!!!

The original inquiry sounded fine, but then red flags went up immediately afterwards when "they" were willing to take any available date, couldn't pay using our preferred method of PayPal or bank transfer (mercifully, we hadn't given it out!), wanted all our address information etc. so that "their" bank could transfer funds, then said that both "they" and "their agent" had sent checks, so could we possibly "refund" them half the monies!!!!!!!

Initially, we felt somewhat violated...... and rather stupid...... but have sent "them" a very "terse" e-mail saying that we have forwarded all their correspondence to the Attorney General's Office, are seeking legal action, and will not be scammed.

My advice to anyone else who has suspicions, especially after receiving such an inquiry, is to go with your gut feeling ALWAYS.  You do have the upper hand....

We first thought that the inquiry was from someone rather senile (sorry!), due to the bad use of the English language and typing skills.  Then the more we studied it, the more it became apparent that this "person" was not who they claimed to be, and was probably Russian/Ukranian as none of their sentences contained a definite or indefinite article; this is how their national language is structured, so this is a dead give-away.

"They" claimed to be inquiring from England, but the time shown on their incoming e-mails would have put "them" sitting at their computer at 2 am - 3 am in the UK!  Highly unlikely.......

My advice, after feeling both idiotic and vindicated, is to always trust in yourself.  If you have suspicions, particularly like I mentioned above, is to break off all contact immediately, keep a record of all the correspondence, change passwords if you feel like you need to (we did) to be on the safe side, and NEVER EVER be coerced into changing your policies to suit anyone.

Your holiday home is a huge investment, and you stand to lose not only that, but far more should "they" gain access to your identity and finances.  Heed any doubts you have about a potential client.  It is simply not worth the risk!

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Mar 13, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

jbrow31215, I read the first  two sentences, and I thought "you're kidding, right??!"  The respondents have said it all - scam!  Stick with us - you'll learn a lot on this site!! 

Mar 27, 2012
    Mar 27, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

I received this three days ago, my very first confirmation turned out to be a scam. Made a request the day before without any comments, 2 people for a house that sleeps ten for a week in June. Odd behaviour....

Didnt take me long to realize that something stinks!

This is their address just FYI: nnowell317@hotmail.com

Hello

- mr igor Nowels and Mrs Eileen Nowels

107/30 Ubileniya, 85209 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of bank draft

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Regards

Eileen Nowels

• stjvilla Active Contributor 624 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    Mar 27, 2012 8:51 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

What is it with the Ukraine?  At this point if we saw that word in an inquiry, we would delete it immediately with no further thought.  Feel sorry for the honest folks of that country whose name is now synonymous with "scam."

• New Member 10 posts since
    Mar 31, 2012
    Mar 31, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

I was contacted by these folks: Same letter:

Jun 9, 2011
      Mar 31, 2012 11:56 AM (in response to luis.aguilar)

Did the individual first sent you an Inquiry Email through your VRBO or HomeAway ad? Or did the individual emailed you directly without going through your ad?

Mar 31, 2012
        Mar 31, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to tfv)

It was an inquiry through VRBO first. Funny thing, "she" never asked for a contract, which is standard, or any other info. They sent a cashier's chek to my name, and I eas to deduct the rental amount and send the rest to her travel agant using Western Union. I refused, and instead offered to send a cashier's check to the "travel agent" who, to my surprise, was not in the US, but in Ukraine.

I did deposit the check but my bank contacted me and said it was not good. However, they may close my account. I'm ok with that, but it will be a hassle re-arranging all the automatic payments and all.

Mar 31, 2012
          Mar 31, 2012 12:03 PM (in response to luis.aguilar)

Here's the letter

Subject: RE: Inquiry from Dyakonova Liudmila - Jun 15 to 22 - Listing #142384

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 11:12 AM

Good afternoon

There was a mix up in the payment sent to you ,I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and the other for my traveling agent But all payments was issued in your name and sent .

I tried to correct this but it was in vain as i was ask to resolve the problem myself. It would have to go through a very long process to change this error . Please I don't know what to do.

I have been advised me to contact you since these checks where issued in your name , so you should be able to clear them into your account. As soon as you have the checks cleared to your account you are to deduct your rent and remit the balance to my travel agent Please do let me know how you can help on this issue .

Thanks

Mar 31, 2012
            Mar 31, 2012 12:05 PM (in response to luis.aguilar)

And these are their instructions after I did not wire the money:

please make a bank transfer from your bank 

ACCOUNT NAME : John Toyin Steven

Accout Number;4149 6050 5112 4675

ACCOUNT HOLDER'S ADDRESS :  33 FRUNZE, KIEV,   Ukraine 92014

BANK OF BENEFICIARY: PRIVATBANK, , Dnepropetrovsk,Ukraine

BANK ADDRESS : PRIVATBANK, street Chelyuskintsev, 14,Lugansk,Ukraine,Zip code 91000

SWIFT CODE: PBANUA2X

INTERMEDIARY BANK:

JP MORGAN CHASE BANK

CHASE METROTECH CENTER

7TH FLOOR BROOKLYN NY,11245 USA

SWIFT CODE : CHASUS33

CORRESPONDENT ACCOUNT : 0011000080

THANKS

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:29:31 -0700

To: dyakonova99@hotmail.com

Good afternoon Ms. Dyakonova.
            Unfortunately, I will not be able to wire that money to Ukraine. I can however, send a cashier's check to Ms. Cora L. Teed, who I guess is the person that purchased the cashier's check for you in Texas.

I can also send the cashier's check directly to John Steven in Ukraine. Using Western Union will force me to provide too much information and I, like you, feel uncomfortable doing so. Please let me know if my proposed arrangement is something we can agree on.

Thanks.

--- On Tue, 3/27/12, Liudmila Dyakonova <dyakonova99@hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 2:31 AM

Thanks for the updated information .

Here are the detailed instructions on how to remit the balance to the travel   agent.

You are to   remit  $2743 to my  travel agent via westernunion money transfer   with the information below

RECEIVER'S NAME :  JOHN STEVEN 

RECEIVER'S ADDRESS : #31 , GALUGINA 18 , GORODOK , LUGANSK 91002 UKRAINE

Send Amount

$2743

Western Union Fee

$158

Total               $2901

Jun 9, 2011
              Mar 31, 2012 1:07 PM (in response to luis.aguilar)

You’ve been dealing with a known scammer. Just type in "There was a mix up in the payment sent to you" or “Ukraine” in the search field at the top of this forum. I’ve seen that same email no less than a dozen times, word for word. Contact support providing them the individual’s email so their email address can be entered in the “scammers list” so next time it is used for sending an inquiry, it will be blocked.

support-cs@homeaway.com

support-cs@vrbo.com

How about doing a search

Jun 9, 2011
                Mar 31, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to tfv)

When VRBO/HomeAway routes the Inquiry to Owners, I understand the email address of the Inquirer is matched against their “Scammers List” and blocked from being sent if there is a match. However, if there is no match, I wish they would show the “IP address” and “City & Country” (based on IP) of the Inquirer. If it points to a known location (based on IP address) where Scammers operate like Ukraine, include some type of a warning. Scammers can easily change their email address or create new email address as often they desire, so blocking inquiry based on their “Scammers List” is not effective.

Providing Owners the Inquirer's "City & Country" (based on IP) is also a good tool for Owners to use in considering the validity of what the Traveler says he/she is at.

Jun 9, 2011
                  Mar 31, 2012 3:20 PM (in response to tfv)

There should also be a means to verify Owner’s email address (or Property Manager) at the property website listing to allow Travelers to verify if the person they are communicating with is the Owner (or Property Manager). I was thinking of a data field where Travelers can enter the Owner’s email address (they are communicating with) and it will come back with a “yes” or “no”. This will put a stop to phishing scams.

• mrice New Member 1 posts since
              Jun 4, 2013
              Jun 4, 2013 5:50 PM (in response to luis.aguilar)

Luis,

I recently found an ad for a job listing on craigslist and of course received a cashiers check from first financial bank in abilene, TX with remitter Cora L Teed.  I did a search for cora l teed and yours was the only post I found listing the name and warning of a scam. THANK YOU! I took the check to my bank and gave it to them so they could process it through their fraud department, as well as, the fraud dept. at first financial bank. They called me to confirm it was fraudulent and thanks to you, while I remain unemployed, I am not $2000 deeper in debt from this.  THANKS again

May 17, 2012
    May 17, 2012 9:48 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

This posting, on May 17th, 2012, is to let those on this board know that this scam is still alive and kicking.  I recently received an inquiry from the Ukraine from an "Amanda Wheeler."  Sent me the phony check from Wells Fargo Bank of Hialeah, FL.  Given that the amount of money was for so much more than the reservation, I called the bank in Florida to verify the check number and the amount.  The bank could not verify the check.  I did this before checking this forum because there was a typo at the top of the check: "This document has an [sic] watermark printed on the back."

I'm 99.999% sure that the printer of the check would not allow grammatical errors on their checks.

Beware, people.  It's still going on and will continue as long as people send them money.

• New Member 5 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    Jun 1, 2012 4:36 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

They have hit again and used the name of another VRBO owner.  Caught it early.

Jul 27, 2011
    Jun 1, 2012 6:14 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I am receiving scam requests about once a month. They seem to be getting a bit more polished, but one thing consistent with them is they do not mormally include a telephone number. Once I see that this is missing I take particular attention to the request. Just a thought for all of us out there!

• twobitrentals Community All-Star 1,339 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    Jun 1, 2012 7:20 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Here is my scammer: I didn't even know till I sent them a quote!

We are okay with the accommodation and cost.I would also like to confirm the reservation .

Our information is as follows

Name : Mr & Mrs D STEPHENS

Address :14 obaronaya

nove ivanivka

kharkov Ukraine.

I will arrange for check/draft payment to secure the accommodation

Please do forward to me the following details for payment

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS (not P.O.box )

CONTACT/MOBILE TELEPHONE NUMBER

thanks

MILLA

Jul 6, 2012
    Jul 6, 2012 9:43 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I just received this exact scam!!  "Renters" name was changed, but everything else is exact!  I have the Cashier's Check right here and will NOT be cashing it and following thru with her instructions tomorrow.  So glad I checked this forum!!!

Thanks everyone,

D

Jul 9, 2012
    Jul 9, 2012 3:33 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I just received one also. 

Larissa Bushmeleva

12A Ubilenaya Street, 87209 Kiev, Ukraine

Thanks for the posts!

Jul 10, 2012
      Jul 10, 2012 12:18 AM (in response to renamk@yahoo.com)

I received this same one today as well from Larissa Bushmeleva at the same address.  Wasn't clear when I got the original request but started searching when I got the reply.  The reply follows the exact same wording as many of those above so I'm so glad my instincts told me to do some research before going any further.

Thanks for the posts!! 

Jul 12, 2012
    Jul 12, 2012 8:05 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Boy, I wish I would have read these pages before I was scammed!!!! They got me for 2800.00 and I am so mad.  I called my bank and sure enough, the cashiers check was a fraud and now has been taken from my account.  I also sent money back, I KNOW< STUPID RIGHT!!!!! Everyone needs to be aware of this UKRAINE bullxxxx!!! My instincts sure weren't working like everyone else's.

Jul 17, 2012
    Jul 17, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

We have received emails from the same person, different Ukrain name and address.  Aee the 2 emails below for how they are doing this; seems to be similiar from what others have received.  I am glad I googled the name before taking action on the rental.

Hello

- Mrs Larissa Bushmeleva

12A Ubilenaya Street, 87209 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check

Good afternoon

Thanks

Jul 22, 2012
      Jul 22, 2012 2:31 PM (in response to fredandtina)

Just got the same request last week and was about to send them the contract when I decided to google them since it's out of the country. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe VRBO can block their email:

lari34_bushm@hotmail.com

Here's the message I got:

Hello

- Mrs Larissa Bushmeleva

12A Ubilenaya Street, 87209 kiev, Ukraine.

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Regards

Larissa Bushmeleva

Jul 17, 2012
        Jul 22, 2012 3:06 PM (in response to marge)

i sent info to vrbo, hoping they could!

***Please note change of email address from rhynehart@aol.com to fredandtina@comcast.net

Aug 9, 2012
          Aug 9, 2012 3:59 PM (in response to fredandtina)

I got this one few days ego, didn't sound right to me. Thank God I checked this web site.

Colleen Patton patton_colleen@yahoo.com

Aug 6 (3 days ago)

to me

Thank you for getting back am so happy you got the payment, yes you can have the difference sent to our ravel agent as i explained to you earlier. Their payment information are listed below as I want you to try as much as possible to get the money wired to them via money gram or western union money transfer, so below is their payment information so you can have it sent with any of the options.
          By money gram or western union:
          Name: Stephan Anton Sandra
          Address: 20/10 Krasnaya St
          City: Dnopropetrosk
          Postal code: 61000
          Email address: tuilugansk@consultant.com
          Phone No: +380508125969

And once you have wired the money to them, please send them a copy of the receipt and send me a copy too as a reference.
          I shall forward the whole flight schedule to you so that you will know our arrival time and date as well as the Airport that we will be flying into. Thank you so much for your kind gestures we really appreciate it. Also we are so sorry for the inconvenience this might cause you by taking your time to do this i apologize for that and hope to hear back from you tomorrow as soon as you do that.

Colleen
    Sep 8, 2012
    Sep 8, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

We received what appeared to be a normal inquiry from someone leery of PO Boxes and, upon replying, received this:

We are okay with the accommodation and cost.I would also like to confirm the reservation .
    Our information is as follow
    Name : Mr & Mrs D .K DALSON
    Address :14 obaronaya
    nove ivanivka
    kharkov Ukraine.
    I will arrange for check/draft payment to secure the accommodation
    Please do forward to me the following details for payment
    FULL NAME
    BILLING ADDRESS (not P.O.box )
    thanks
    MARK

It was the "billing address" line that set off my scamdar and it didn't take me long to find this posting. Obviously any received mailing will get set aside and no money will be returned to them. Just aggravating because I have better things to do than answer bogus inquiries. At least I am smart enough to know when something's not right.

Mar 31, 2012
      Sep 8, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to phloors)

Great job in detecting the scam!

Sep 8, 2012
      Sep 10, 2012 8:06 AM (in response to phloors)

Update - received another correspondence which matches the script I have read from other postings:

Hello
      There was a mix up in the payment sent to you ,
      I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and the other for my travel agent .
      All payment was issue in your name and sent to you . I tried to correct this but it was in vain as
      i was ask to resolve the problem myself.
      It would have to go through a very long process to change this error .
      Please I don't know what to do.
      My travel agent advised me to contact you since the cheque were issued in your name , you should be able to help.
      As soon as you have the check clears into your account, you are to keep your full payment and remit the balance to my travel agent.
      i am so sorry for this inconvinience
      Thanks
      Mark

Sep 12, 2012
    Sep 12, 2012 2:28 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Hi All,

Thank you for this forum!!!  It has inserted a big red caution flag on an inquiry I recieved yesterday.

Colleen Patton (colleenpatton53@yahoo.com) contacted me through the VRBO site yesterday for the rental of my holiday home in mid-November 2012.  After sending her an email that confirmed that the home is available during the dates that she wanted it, as well as confirming my prefered method of payment she sent me an email that had some elements that caused me to become a bit suspicious (not overly suspicious, but enough to look to find out if anyone else had a similiar experience).  These elements that caused me to become suspicious are echoed by others in this forum.

She said that at the moment, she and her husband are in the Ukraine, but that they are coming back to Canada in mid-November and want to come directly to my holiday home.  She wants to have her accountant send me a check asap for the week that she wants the home so that she can be assured that it is booked.  She says she's ok with the price and 'we would love to reserve it' (by sending the payment significantly in advance).  She asks for an address and gives details about what the address should include:

Billing address (not PO Box)

City

State

Zip Code

Phone number/Cell phone

The request for a 'state' and 'Zip Code' seemed strange to me, since my home is located in Canada, and we don't have States or 'Zip Codes'. 

Anyways, I've responded today and told her that I'm not comfortable with her proposed payment method at this point because of the risk for scams.  However, I invited me to give her phone number to me (or her accountant's number) so that I could call her (or her accountant) to discuss the payment method and confirm the legitimacy of the inquiry. 

More to follow..(when I hear back from her)

Cheers,

Sheila

Nov 26, 2012
    Nov 26, 2012 3:35 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Had one of these today from the Ukraine. I researched the IP address and the post came from NYC. As a retired cop, I sent back a response listing their city (NYC, obviously NOT the from the country of Ukraine) and their internet provider (also gleaned from researching the IP address). I then imformed them I was in the process of getting a subpoena for their customer information from the internet provider and that I was then going to pay them a visit with the NYPD. As no crime was actually committed (no money transactions occurred, just the initial email) of course it is all just a bluff but it made me feel a bit better. Hate these low life scum....

• sage Community All-Star 966 posts since
      Jul 4, 2012
      Nov 27, 2012 9:20 PM (in response to marty.tadlock)

Marty -

Actually a crime probably was committed, the crime of attempted theft.  Not that it would be investigated nor prosecuted, but it should be reportable.

And while IP addresses may be helpful, it is worth remembering that there are sites that allow people to spoof their IP address.  It is quite possible a crook in the Ukraine would appear, from a spoofed IP address, to be in NYC, or anywhere else.

Dec 10, 2010
    Nov 27, 2012 8:47 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I got scammed too by Ukranians.  I think Homeaway should have emailed us a warning about this.  Western Unioned them the over payment for over $2000.  I too filed a police and an Ic3, Kiss that $ goodbye. 

• New Member 4 posts since
    Dec 12, 2012
    Dec 12, 2012 11:47 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

11/11/12 please beware ukranie scam is still happening......california

november i receieved an email from jylia gerasimova wanting to  rent house for one week...her exact words were " due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have arrange for payment inform of check"....

ok i understand some people are paranoid or have had a bad experience with credit card fraud so i said sure send a check...days go by no check and of course i am holding her reservation....then the chain of emails start

Good afternoon

Thanks

12/11/12

finally check comes and it is very suspicious but i have to say from the start it all seemed wrong from the first email....always go with your gut....

the check details are as follows in case anyone else may receive a check like this.....

bank of oklahoma,

signed by ericia weathold,

account c.l. boyd company inc, 4220 w reno ave, oklahoma city, ok 73107

amount$3,950

.............'

then detailed instructions below

Thanks for the updated information .

Here are the detailed instructions on how to remit the balance to the travel agent after you have received the funds in your account

You are to remit $2100 to my travel agent via Moneygram transfer with the information below

RECEIVER'S NAME : ADEOWO COLE

RECEIVER'S ADDRESS : 10/23 DOMBASS ARENA, DONESK ,UKRAINE 92218

Send Amount

$2051

Moneygram Fee

$49

Total                   $2100

You are to go to any of the below Moneygram outlet with the money in Cash ($2100) or Debit Card and your ID to do the transfer.

Here are some Moneygram outlet near you

Please kindly confirm the following information after you have completed the transfer

1. Exact Senders Name on the Moneygram receipt

2. Money Transfer Control Number(8 digits)

3. Exact Amount Wired {$2051}

Yours Sincerely.

Regards,

• New Member 4 posts since
    Dec 12, 2012
    Jan 6, 2013 11:02 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

since we pay fee's to vrbo why don't they take action on behalf of us host's....sure they can get their attorneys to follow up on this ukraine scam....and i only found out about the scam because i was emailed by the scammers and searched the vrbo blog and found it was truely an email scam.....thought vrbo should sent out email notifying us to be on the watch for this scam or other scams that arise...save a lot of us time, worry and some people money

Dec 1, 2012
    Jan 6, 2013 11:17 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

What is the scam???

Dec 1, 2012
    Jan 6, 2013 11:52 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

Never mind I, was initially sent to the end of the topic.

• sliver2907 Contributor 69 posts since
    Sep 2, 2011
    Mar 4, 2013 9:42 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

This was sent to me:  Amazing how many different place this Aleksandra can go on vacation in one week!

SCAM!

Hello 

We are okay with the accommodation  .

- Mrs  Aleksandra K

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Regards

Aleksandra K

*This message has been edited by a Community Manager to adhere to Community Guidelines

• hootymiami New Member 6 posts since
    May 26, 2013
    May 26, 2013 9:08 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

i just had the ukraine scam last week. i kind of knew it (had a scam the first year we rented out the cottage from asia) but i figured i'd go forward with it since you never know as we do get people from many countried renting our property. as soon as i got the "i sent you too much, some of it was supposed to be for my travel agent", i knew it was a scam. i sent them my phone number to call me (the fbi's phone number) and also to send me the checks (gave them the fbi's address). it's what i normally do with any stupid scam email i get haha.

• winston1118 New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2013
    May 29, 2013 1:06 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

The Ukraine scam is alive and well.  Just received a request to rent my cottage at Smith Mountain Lake with the same modus operandi...Didn't want to use a credit card, then received this email today: 

Hello

I am sorry for all the delay in getting back to you about the payment .

There was a mix up in the payment sent to you ,

I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and the other for my travel agent,but unfortunately the whole sum of

these two payments were issue on 1 check in your name and sent to you . I tried to correct this but it was in vain as i was ask to resolve the problem myself. It would have to go through a very long process to change this error .

Please I don't know what to do.

My travel agent advised me to contact you since the cheque were issued in your name , you should be able to help.

As soon as you have the check clears into your account, you are to keep your full payment and remit the balance to my travel agent.

please i really want to have your word on this that you can help me

i am so sorry for this inconvenience

Thanks

RUKA

I knew this was obviously a scam.  Hope no one falls for this.

• beach-house New Member 1 posts since
    Jun 3, 2013
    Jun 3, 2013 2:53 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I received this after responding to a inquiry for our beachhouse.  As the first person, replied I had no red flag because I has no idea they were from out of the country till I received this email.  Now after reviewing similar texts, I know its a scam.  The email read like this:  Hello  Thanks for the updated information.  We are okay with the accomodation and cost.  We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:  Mrs. Lydia Sashakov  55 Nicholas Street, 84669 Kiev, Ukraine  Also, due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone I have arranged for payment in form of check.  Please do forward me the following details for payment.    full name,  billing address and contact telephone number.  Hope to hear from you soon  Best regards Lydia Sashakov

• jenstyle911 New Member 1 posts since
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jun 7, 2013 8:39 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

We had this happen to us on our villa on Hilton Head Island. Check never cleared and we waited because we figured it was a scam. This has to stop!!! It takes time responding to these people and others have lost money because of it. What a bunch of garbage this is. We will report this email to vrbo.

• dunes5809 New Member 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2013
    Jun 15, 2013 9:20 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

This scam happended to me today, but saw it for what it is, and confimed my suspicions here on this forum.

Thanks to those who posted this scam info. 

6/15/13 Emial from: Mrs ksenia Mikhaylovskaya,12  Semashko street, 86769 kiev, Ukraine.

My response belolw:

Please be advised this is your notification that your "scamming organization" has been officially exposed as "mail fraud". This email, as all other emails sent to VRBO from your "scam organization" has been forwarded to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the office of the U.S. Attorney General.

Mail fraud occurs when the U.S. Mail is used in furtherance of a criminal act. In order for a defendant to be convicted under 18 U.S.C. 1341for committing mail fraud, the follow elements must be satisified: (1) the defendant must have been engaged in a scheme to defraud; (2) the scheme must have involved material misstatements or omissions; (3) the scheme resulted, or would have resulted upon completion, in the loss of money, property, or honest services; (4) the defendant must have used of U.S. mail in furtherance of scheme to defraud; and (5) the defendant used or caused the use of U.S.mail.

• sdorbust New Member 2 posts since
      Jul 5, 2013
      Jul 5, 2013 11:22 AM (in response to dunes5809)

So glad everyone is posting on this - it encourged me to create an account and chime in. I got this one on the 4th of July. (of course I was dumb enough to send a quote just on the outside chance it was real).

"Thanks for the reply.
      We are okay with the accommodation and cost. I would also like to confirm the reservation .
      Our information is as follows:
      Name : Mr & Mrs L J MARCUS
      Address :Freedom square, 16,
      Kharkov
      61022 Ukraine.
      I will arrange for check/draft (drawn from USD )payment due to the difficulty and my experience
      in online payment from here.
      FULL NAME
      BILLING ADDRESS
      thanks
      JULIANA"
  • andrea.brewer New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 5, 2013
    Jul 5, 2013 8:31 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I am so THANKFUL to have found this blog!! I also have recently received this email scam.  Initially, I did reply and send a quote.  I have had travelers visit from Japan, Ireland and India, therefore, I proceeded with sending the rental agreement.  Today, I received the "mix up in payment" scheme email.  I immediately became suspecious and began my research.  Thanks to all who have posted on here, I know it has confirmed my suspicions.  Now I am waiting to receive the checks so I can hand them over to the authorities.  I just don't understand why VRBO has not emailed owners and advised us of this scam. I did forward these to spoof@homeaway.com  A second thought,  I have been renting my home through VRBO for the past 3 years and never had this problem.  I don't know if it is a coincidence that I received this email when  last month I paid to showcase my property through Homeaway/VRBO.  Any thoughts??  Does that make you more vulnerable to these kind of people?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the updated information. We are okay with the accommodation and cost .

We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:

Mrs Margarita Olerinskinva34 Tarasovskaya Street, 88469 kiev, Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I have

arrange for payment inform of check  Please do forward me the following details for

payment

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Best Regards

Margarita Olerinskinva

Good day I am sorry for all the delay in payment .  There was a mix up in the

payment sent to you ,I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and

the other for my traveling agent But all payments was issued in your name and sent .

I tried to correct this but it was in vain as i was ask to resolve the problem

myself. It would have to go through a very long process to change this error .

Please I don't know what to do. I have been advised me to contact you since these

checks where issued in your name , so you should be able to clear them into your

account. As soon as you have the checks cleared to your account you are to deduct

your rent and remit the balance to my travel agent Please do let me know how you can

help on this issue .  Thanks

• buddyv New Member 1 posts since
    Mar 20, 2013
    Jul 16, 2013 2:05 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I am glad I did some investigating before I replied back to this scam.  We have a condo on Panama City Beach and received a Ukranian reply.  My suspicians have been confirmed.

Mr & Mrs Jana Dodd    

street Kooperatyvna, 211

Donesk

Ukraine

Stated they were ok with leasing my unit in September but were not Ok with credit card on line or phone and were sending a cashiers check.  Wanted all my mailing information including phone number.  Needless to say I will be using the delete on this one and will be on the lookout for any others.  Really glad we have this forum!!!

Thanks

• nove New Member 1 posts since
    Jul 16, 2013
    Jul 16, 2013 10:47 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I have also been contacted by someone over the past few days who used this same scam (supposedly from Ukraine with the same modis operandi as the others where he overpays and wants me to send him back the overage) Luckily there were so many red flags in his email that I didn't fall for the trap but I can see where at first you might. Also, I noticed he had a yahoo account which one cannot get in the Ukraine so that was another red flag! There are alot of schemers out there and luckily I usually have good gut instincts...Beware!!!

• ghustonus New Member 1 posts since
      Jul 18, 2013
      Jul 18, 2013 1:12 PM (in response to nove)

I just received the "I messed up the payment" email and this got my spidey sense going.  Did some research and found this forum.  My inquirer was a Zebinsio Peternava from Kiev 34 Three Saints Street (turns out to be a Dance academy). My question is I provided a contract to them which includes my home address and phone number.  Do I need to be worried?  I responded that I was sending their information to a local fraud investigation unit. 

Thanks

• santafelass New Member 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2013
    Sep 5, 2013 4:51 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I also received this email today (which looks almost identical to another one posted here). The sender called herself Fathia A::

Thanks for the reply.

We are okay with the accommodation and cost. I would also like to confirm the reservation .

Our information is as follows:

Name : Mr & Mrs F.A AXXX

Address :

Kharkov

61022 Ukraine.

I will arrange for check/draft (drawn from USD )payment due to the difficulty and my experience

in online payment from here.

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

thanks

FATHIA

** MESSAGE WAS EDITED BY A COMMUNITY MODERATOR. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT'S AGAINST COMMUNITY GUIDELINES TO POST SOMEONE'S LAST NAME, ADDRESS, OR EMAIL ADDRESS.

• sliver2907 Contributor 69 posts since
    Sep 2, 2011
    Sep 5, 2013 6:34 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I had another one of these last month, got fed up.  Told them to send the money order, gave the address of the FBI and a fake name, not even the name on my listing.  Obviously they were in such a hurry to rent they never even read the name.  Told me they were sending their car ahead and needed the "extra" money to pay for the car delivery.  After the FedEx letter was delivered (they tracked it), they told me to wire the money via Western Union.  I gave them a fake receipt number.  I got lots of emails from the frustrated "vacationer" who must have gone to the Western Union with the recepit number looking for the money.  Sent them a "corrected" number, again, frustrated vacationer wanted the correct number.  Told them their car just arrived at my house, would they like me to wash it for them?  Never heard from them again. 

• lizard1466 New Member 2 posts since
    Sep 8, 2013
    Sep 8, 2013 6:48 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Found this blog because I received a scam email. Also rent a couple of properties in FL and just received the same email as one of those above.  They sent me the cashiers check so am waiting for the next email asking for the money back for their travel agent.

• abritgirl New Member 1 posts since
    Sep 15, 2013
    Sep 15, 2013 12:40 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Wow, I'm very glad to see all this information as I have recently listed my first vacation home and got one of these the first week! Thanks!

• srpjg New Member 1 posts since
    Mar 30, 2013
    Sep 27, 2013 11:03 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

I too almost got scammed, but luckily my bank caught it...here is the inquiry:

Hello

Thanks for the updated information. We are okay with the accommodation and cost .

We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:

Mrs Anastasiya BXXX

79089, Lviv,Ukraine,

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Best Regards

Anastasiya BXXX

*** MESSAGE WAS EDITED BY A COMMUNITY MODERATOR. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT'S AGAINST COMMUNITY GUIDELINES TO POST PERSONAL INFORMATION (LAST NAME, PHONE NUMBER, STREET ADDRESS) OF ANOTHER PERSON (EVEN POTENTIAL SCAMMERS).

• thelmeister New Member 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2013
    Sep 30, 2013 11:19 AM (in response to jbrow31215)

I have received an inquiry almost identical to the ones listed here.  It is from someone saying they are from the Ukraine.  Not sure what to do with the $, if in fact they send $.  Any comments on that?  I did not give the inquirer any real personal information other that what is already on the webiste.  Should I send an email and tell them my place is not available, or just ignore this completely?Thanks, Louise

• lazym Active Contributor 394 posts since
      Sep 5, 2012
      Sep 30, 2013 11:35 AM (in response to thelmeister)

Well how did you tell them to send the money?  I do not allow checks for travelers outside of the US.  So once I told them they would have use PayPal they disappeared.  I would ignore completely.  If they do send a check do not cash it. 

• ttaylor0 Active Contributor 425 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    Sep 30, 2013 12:44 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

Do not cash the check, do not contact the sender, do not play games with these people. They do it for a living and do not think that you can outsmart them. Some banks will actually charge you for depositing a fraudulent check. If you are smart you will cut off all contact with these individuals and not reply to any emails that they send you. They will become tired of no response and they will move on to try to cheat someone else .

• badgerden New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 20, 2013
    Oct 20, 2013 9:33 PM (in response to jbrow31215)

I received the Ukraine scam email after agreeing to the dates they requested.  Luckily I took the check and the emails to my bank who told me they were fraudulent before I deposited it.  It seemed fishy to me, but I just needed it verified.  I called home away and reported it, but I have not heard back from them.  

Good afternoon

Thanks

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points