Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
5197 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2012 2:47 PM by amyg RSS
Currently Being Moderated

May 13, 2012 4:11 PM

LED candles?

We don't allow flame candles in our VR for a couple of reasons--fire danger and smoke residue on walls, etc.  I am thinking about purchasing some of the flickering LED type. Since I have never tried them, I am wondering if they are good, safe substiture for regular candles in a VR.

• jan.stevens Community All-Star 251 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    May 13, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to gmajay)
    Re: LED candles?

Hi gmajay, We don't allow flamed candles either because of the fire hazard. So I did buy the little battery faux candles. My guests tried to light them with matches. So, I have them put away and don't offer candles at all .......

• carol Senior Contributor 2,150 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    May 13, 2012 11:02 PM (in response to gmajay)

I just came back from one of the nicest restaurants in our town and guess what -- they use the LED candles.   I see no reason not to provide them.  I picked up a set of a few dozen of them at Sam's club and use them all over my own home, and I'll be bringing them to my rental next week.

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 862 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    May 14, 2012 7:43 AM (in response to gmajay)

I use them and really am amazed of how real they look.  My wife is not too happy as they obviously do not provide any smell.  We mostly set them out on the balcony and remind guest that they do have to turn on the switch to ON or TIMER at the bottom of the candles.  They get five stars from me!

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    May 14, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to gmajay)

Here's an option for those that want candle light without the risk of tapers in candle holders:

I've purchased large decorative mason jars (they come in many shapes and sizes), placed a layer of sand in the bottom, and nestled a tea candle in the sand. 

The jar and sand eliminates much of the risk, and tea candles burn out relatively quickly. 

I supply a bbq stick lighter to light the candles in the jars.  Tea candles may be purchased in bulk for a reasonable price.

My guests love to use these inside and out.  They are particularly well suited to a beach house.

I can't claim this as an original idea, I was inspired by a pottery barn catalogue several years ago and I now see mason jar candle holders used as centerpieces at celebrations. 

• Contributor 233 posts since
      Dec 26, 2011
      May 14, 2012 9:47 AM (in response to thaxterlane)

Great suggestion!

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
        Mar 4, 2011
        May 14, 2012 10:22 AM (in response to dbmeyer)

I at one point put the led candles/air fresheners in my houses. The first person who used them burned up the entire batteries by turning them on and leaving them on. I don't use them now because of the expense because most people will run them till they are dead. I do supply little jarred candles for the bedside and a large yankee candle in the kitchen.

Jul 27, 2011
            May 14, 2012 1:15 PM (in response to gmajay)

Adding to my earlier post:

Make certain to purchase wide-mouth jars for ease of inserting and removing tea lights.  A pair of tongs can be helpful as well, in case you can't ease your hand into the mouth to get a good grip on the tea light.

I believe my jars are referred to as a "marquis" shape.  They stand approx 5'' tall and are embossed with a decorative pattern.

A set of six allows guests to use them in many different ways on indoor and outdoor tables. 

They are very festive! 

Jul 27, 2011
                  May 15, 2012 11:59 PM (in response to gmajay)

Missed this note in the flurry of activity on this thread.   The mugs are a nice idea!

I think the mugs would work as well as the jars except if tipped or knocked down, the jar is likely to retain the candle and most of the sand due to the smaller mouth (although the style is labeled wide mouth, the mouth is much narrower than the body of the jar).  The open top of the mug will allow the candle and sand to spill out.  But,  the person knocking it over will notice and take care of it.  If the candle is left unattended in the mug it should be just as safe as the candle in the jar.  Neither can get out of their container without help!  Tapers, in my experience,   fall totally unaided from candle holders.   

The mugs are  more elegant than the mason jars, which is very appealing.   I think they'll be fine.

Jul 27, 2011
                May 14, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to gmajay)

I have the 1 liter size.  I purchased the large jars for stability.  The sand adds to the stability.

The smaller jars would work as candle holders, but I don't think they would be quite as safe as the larger, heavier jars.

With the large jar, you can pour 1 or 2 inches of sand in the bottom and still have the candle encompassed by the jar.

I've also placed beach shells, pebbles, sea glass, and other found objects (non flammable, of course) in the sand. 

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,357 posts since
                May 25, 2011
                May 14, 2012 2:08 PM (in response to gmajay)

I've used mason jars in this manner for decades (I used to cater parties, & it's simple and inexpensive)  You can normally find canning jars ( Mason or Kerr type) at any hardware or grocery store for under $10 for a case.

Pints or quarts both work. Thax is right - try to get the wide mouth versions-- use tongs to place the tea lights into the sand. And you can add decorative things like ribbon or seashells, etc by hot gluing it to the outside rim of the jar, if you want.  They are very pretty, and act much like old hurricane shades so popular in the 60s.  .I've even hung them with wire from branches, etc. in the back yard.

Even if the jars get tipped over the sand will put the candle out.

Debj 

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,357 posts since
                  May 25, 2011
                  May 14, 2012 2:14 PM (in response to msdebj)

And,, sorry to carry on so, I just love this type of stuff,,,, you can make handles for the jars by purchasing regular old  florist wire at any craft store. Just twist tthe wire aroud the lip of the top screw rings of the jar and make a 'handle" out of  a doubled length of wire. Just don't use jute or any thing flammable as a handle -- stick with wire.

Happy lighting!

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    May 18, 2012 2:47 PM (in response to gmajay)

I love the mason jar idea...very unique and pretty sounding!

Since we do not permit candles in our cabins (we had someone singe a deer mount over our fireplace after they put candles on the mantle and crisped the poor guy's fur and smoked up the wall around him) I am now a flameless candle convert.  I have candle sconces, lanterns and freestanding pillar candles at all of our cabins.  Guests absolutely love them.

The only downside is you have to be on top of the batteries.  I like the ones with timers so I can set them to come on for 4-5-6 hours a day.  That will make your batteries go much further than if you just let the guests turn them on at their convenience.  Plus it's nice when your guests arrive at night and the candles are already on for them. Look for flameless candles that are rated for at least 1,000 hours.  If you set your timer to go 5 hours a day, that means your batteries should last 6 months.

I highly recommend QVC for a good source for flameless candles, especially the sconces.  Their candles are more expensive than those at Costco and Sam's Club but I've had really good luck with all my purchases.  The "Candle Impressions" brand (made in Canada but also sold on QVC) have a more realistic flicker than many other brands.  Here's a link to their home page:

http://www.candleimpressions.net/products/Wall_Sconces/index.html

And here's a link to QVC's page with dozens of flameless candles.  FYI, I do not recommend the Luminara candles with the beautiful and very realistic faux flame.  They last only 300 hours on 2D cells.  Plus they have a moving flame and curious guests may play with the flame and break it. 

http://www.qvc.com/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&keyword=flameless+candles

Hope this helps!

AmyG

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points