Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4760 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 12:33 AM by carol RSS
New Member 3 posts since
Feb 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2011 3:51 PM

Self Tanning Product Problems, Any Advise

I manager a very large (10 bed/10bath) property on the Gulf of Mexico.

The home is very upscale, rents at top rates, and my guests expect the best, as they should.

I advertise and offer expensive sheets and towels, however, more and more people are using self tanning products that stain the sheets and towels. 

The stains do not come out, and the sheets/towels look dirty, so they obviously cannot be used again.

In a "welcome" letter I send to our guests prior to their arrival I do address this situation and tell them if they wish to use these products they should talk to me about bringing their own sheets/towels.

While this seems below my level of service I don't know what else to do, because this is a beach home using dark colored sheets and towels is not complimentary to my decor.

Any suggestions?

• spoonbill Contributor 105 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Mar 6, 2011 10:33 PM (in response to beachseller4u)
    Self Tanning Product Problems, Any Advise

I read your post a few days ago and have been pondering what I would do since I have a beach house and rent to an upscale clientel.  So far, I have not encountered the problem because we use only white linens and with white linens the spray on tanning will wash out with soap and bleach.  If you use colored linens it may be another story.  We went all white for the same reason hotels do.  They can be washed with hot water, strong detergents and bleach.  Your other options would be to build in the cost of replacemnt linens into your price and toss them and replace them as needed or to include notice in your contract that use of spray on tanning products may incur a linen replacement charge (not as friendly and may be problematic).

• spoonbill Contributor 105 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Apr 30, 2012 1:43 AM (in response to beachseller4u)
    Re: Self Tanning Product Problems, Any Advise

I'm not sure what people are agreeing with me on this subject but let me clarify my position.  I often include tings in my contracts that I do not intend to apply.  They are there for the case of someone that really abuses the property and situation.  As I have stated elsewhere, I often eat costs I shouldn't because the down side is a negative post that could cost me a lot more.  Sometimes being right isn't enough.  On linens, I try and buy high quality WHITE linens.  I went all white shortly after the first few months.  Colored linens are just too hard to keep looking nice and no one want to get into a bed with linens that don't look good even if they were washed.  Whith white it is easy to see stains, discolorations or anyother defect.  I toss those and replace them.  I want guests to feel they are staying in a first class place, which they are.  I charge a little more but guests never complain about the price and the compliments I get make me feel good because I know they will tell their friends and business will keep growing.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      May 11, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to spoonbill)

I am curious. If you are in a beach resort area, why are your guests using self tanning lotions. Aren't they there to enjoy the sun and tan likewise?

We have used white and/or colored linens and have never had a problem with stains from lotions. Our only problem on a rare occassion has been a blood stain. These linens we just trash.

Marilyn

www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 785 posts since
        Jul 27, 2011
        May 11, 2012 10:39 AM (in response to marilyn)

"Why are people using self tanning lotions"

Vanity

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011
          May 11, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

When I read the post, I, too, was also wondering why people going to a "beach" location would use self-tanning lotions.   It's not what I have seen at my island place {beaches galore} --- but maybe some people don't want to over expose themselves to direct sun {danger} --- maybe it's too time consuming to work up an even tan --- maybe they burn instead of tan?    {This is me...trying to undersand people.}

But, I agree with thaxterland...it's probably rooted in 'vanity'.  Afterall, who should care {other than themselves} if they return home with no tan?

Jul 27, 2011
    May 11, 2012 10:38 AM (in response to beachseller4u)

Perhaps a friendly warning to guests about products that may stain sheets and require you to discard them and charge the guest is in order?

I rent my summer beach home and have never encountered this problem (and hope not to). 

If this has happened multiple times, I would warn your guests, in the most friendly terms, about products that could stain the linens and therefore should be avoided during their stay.  You might indicate you wll  charge their security deposit for any linens that can not be cleaned and must be discarded.   

The you must decide, if it happends, if you will actually charge or let it go.  As others have mentioned, it's often best to build wear and tear such as linens into your rental rates and avoid charging the guests' security deposits. 

I agree that white sheets are best for ease of cleaning, and a fresh appearance.  There is a clean and crisp appearance to a white sheet that colors can't achieve, in my opinion.  

Best of luck in sorting this out!

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,359 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      May 11, 2012 2:31 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

OK, OK! I admit to using spray tanning solutions!! :-).  I live in Colorado & get very "ghost like" after 6 months of winter. Nobody wants to arrive on the beach looking like a "tourist" LOL!  Plus, in my younger yrs I was a red head, so I tend to turn maroon, instead of tan.

If you go to www.Youtube.com & search under "Self tanners removing stains" there are some pretty good tips.

That said, tis why I 've gone with white sheets, towels, etc. I know I'm gonna lose some each season- but they ARE tax write offs!  And I now just buy cheap white washcloths that I toss all the time since so many use them for Gawd know s WHAT!

Respectfully submited from a "very UNtan" , and yes, somewhat vain VR owner! 

Debj

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,359 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      May 11, 2012 2:32 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

OK, OK! I admit to using spray tanning solutions!! :-).  I live in Colorado & get very "ghost like" after 6 months of winter. Nobody wants to arrive on the beach looking like a "tourist" LOL!  Plus, in my younger yrs I was a red head, so I tend to turn maroon, instead of tan.

If you go to www.Youtube.com & search under "Self tanners removing stains" there are some pretty good tips.

That said, tis why I 've gone with white sheets, towels, etc. I know I'm gonna lose some each season- but they ARE tax write offs!  And I now just buy cheap white washcloths that I toss all the time since so many use them for Gawd know s WHAT!

Respectfully submited from a "very UNtan" , and yes, somewhat vain VR owner! 

Debj

Jul 27, 2011
        May 11, 2012 7:00 PM (in response to msdebj)

Msdebj,

Very amusing.

You may use the tanning spray as long as you wash the sheets and towels!

I understand your hesitance to arrive on the beach appearing ghost-like; I'm pasty and white after a New England winter (although this past winter was the winter that wasn't . . . . ).  Is "ghost-like" similar to "pasty and white"?

Somehow, nearly everyone on the beach has a healthy glow.  Perhaps it's the spray . . . .

And, where would we be without a touch of vanity - it leads us to care about our appearance, a  good thing in moderation, no?

I'm saving the youtube info in the event this becomes an issue at my home.  Thank you.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,153 posts since
          Dec 10, 2010
          May 12, 2012 12:33 AM (in response to thaxterlane)

We all need to adjust our thinking -- tell yourselves

pasty = beautiful

pasty=healthy!!  

After 80+ years of sun worshipping, my mom's skin was horrible and she had to deal with so many skin cancers.  Now, I look at young women with dark tans and imagine how horrible their skin will be in 30 years.

And pasty skin doesn't ruin sheets!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points