Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7258 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 4:55 PM by marilyn RSS
jan.stevens Community All-Star 252 posts since
Aug 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2012 4:32 PM

How long does your laundry take to complete?

What is your arrangement with your housekeeper regarding doing laundry? My housekeeper is saying that she cannot complete the laundry in the turnover time (1 1/2 - 2 hours). I have asked my guests to start the towels in the washer which then means the housekeeper has only to throw them in the dryer and then wash and dry the sheets. That can't take more than an hour and a half.

Guests are finding wet towels in the washer because my house keeper is not getting all the laundry done in a timely manner. Wet towels in the washer is not acceptable.

WE (my housekeeper and me) are looking for solutions.

We have a 1200 square foot 2 bedroom cottage with 2 queen beds plus a full size fold down sofa. All sheets are white and towels are colored. We have a maximum of 5 guests. 

What do you do?

LazyBowenHideaway.com

• Contributor 60 posts since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Jan 25, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to jan.stevens)
    Re: How long does your laundry take to complete?

I agree with your housekeeper. Thats not enough time. I have a second set of sheets for each bed so she can make them up while the other ones are washing. But no, I don't see how you can get all the whites washed and dried and all the darks washed and dried in 1.5 -2 hours. You need a longer period between check in and check out. My check out time is 11 am and check in is 3 pm.

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Jan 25, 2012 5:51 PM (in response to drrental)

Jan,

I  also have at least 2 sheet sets for all the beds in my place ( 2 twins,1 queen, 1 double, double futon, queen sleeper sofa). My housekeeper can get all the towels done, but she takes the sheets home with her, and then returns them on her next trip.

This is great time of year to buy linens~!

We also have checkout at 11am and check in at 3pm. But if there is a lot of laundry (we  can sleep up to 10, but usually have 8 guests) it takes at least 3 hours to do all the laundry.

I have used a local drop off laundry service in the past but my housekeeper found  it easier to just take them home with her. It saved her 2 stops- dropping it off & then picking it up. I do use them ( the laundry)  several times a year when I have a few down days for a BIG clean- duvet covers, blankets, etc. if I can't get down to my place.

• Contributor 42 posts since
        Nov 3, 2011
        Feb 2, 2012 8:26 PM (in response to msdebj)

Always glean a new idea when reading various threads within the Community. In a nutshell my wife who owns a small number of condos has terminated the property manager in an effort to produce a positive return rather than annual out of pocket real expenses. We have found it does take effort to timely respond to inquiries, prepare rental agreements, keep up with payments etc but remain optimistic that the right decision has been made. But the relevant question in this thread is: when you leave the sheets(not towels) at the laundry, do you ask that they be ironed, or slightly starched or what.... and if ironed and you could only afford one sheet would it be the top sheet since the bottom is probably fitted??? My thought and just that, is maybe the ironed sheets would be an appreciated amenity.. at our house we haven't had ironed sheets since my wife's help retired more than ten years ago..  Am thinking that pillow cases could easily be ironed while the unit is cleaned. The idea would be to have two or three sets for each bed and the soiled sheets would be taken to the laundry after the guest departs and used not for the next guest, but rather the next after. Seemingly the majority of our guests are couples with each spouse employed and usually with children.. middle America income types for the most part.

I look forward to response.

• Contributor 62 posts since
    Nov 2, 2011
    Jan 25, 2012 5:42 PM (in response to jan.stevens)

Hi Jan, I understand your issue and have gone through the same thing (on a slightly larger scale) myself. Our solution was to have 2 sets of sheets per bed. When we have limited time between guests the old sheets come off, the clean spare set go on...and then my cleaner is able to focus on washing/drying towels and cleaning the rest of the cabins. She takes the dirty sheets home with her and launders them there...returning them when the guests check out at her next cleaning. I supply detergent etc for her to use. Good luck

• wiffle Contributor 217 posts since
      Feb 23, 2011
      Jan 25, 2012 11:11 PM (in response to trace!)

I have three or four sets of sheets per bed and enough towels for three make-readies. I use a professional laundry service. The caretaker drops off at the laundry and picks up at her convenience.

Washing and drying even one load in 1.5 hours is not enough time, IMO.

My check in is at 4:00PM and check out is at 11:00AM. Of course I am flexible on that wherever possible.

I try to make it as easy as possible for the people taking care of the house. I'd rather they concentrate on the house itself rather than managing laundry in such a tight timeframe.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,155 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Feb 1, 2012 10:05 PM (in response to jan.stevens)

I have 10 beds and a 4-hour turnover at peak season -- there's no way the towels, beach towels, and sheets could be cleaned in that amount of time.  AND I want my cleaning crew to clean, not to spend all their time doing laundry.  I found a local laundry that will pick up and deliver. My guests are instructed to call the laundry the day before they  leave to arrange pickup, and they strip the beds and stuff all the laundry into 5 large tubs I have in the house and leave the tubs on the porch for pickup.  The cleaning crew puts out the second set of sheets I have in the house, and the laundry is returned usually before the next guests check in so I or my cleaning crew can restock the towels and stow the clean sheets in the linen closet.  

I have an account at the laundry, so they charge me automatically. 

It's still very tight, and sometimes I have to run out to the laundry to pick up the clean laundry myself when their delivery guy is running late.    But this is the best system I've found. 

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
      Feb 10, 2011
      Feb 2, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to carol)

That is a sweet system!   I too would rather have my cleaners cleaning than worrying about sheets and towels.  At least I have enough sets of sheets for all the beds that enable our staff to get clean stuff ON w/o worrying about using the same sets and hoping they'll be dry.  I've thought about having more bath towels, etc., but those can take so long to dry, and I'm thinking if guests knew there was an ample supply of towels, they'd keep using them - w/o ever doing any laundry.  I figure if they want fresh towels, that's what the W/D are there for!

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      May 7, 2012 4:55 PM (in response to jan.stevens)

We have 14 beds. We have a 4 hour turn around time. Our cleaners strip the beds, get the laundry going and use new sheets to make the beds. I find that they are able to wash and dry the sheets during the 4 hours. We have the largest capacity washers and dryers.

By using the same cleaning service for years, they are able to set up a time management system for themselves and are able to complete all the work in the four hours.

Marilyn

www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points