Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3675 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 12:21 PM by msdebj RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Oct 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2012 12:52 PM

No Contract No review.

Has anyone else had a owner not issuing a written contract on their rental? I found out when I tried to submit a review the owner could dispute the review and not have it posted by requesting a copy of the contract they did not produce in the first place.

Of course customer services does not track this and they never post the review since a contract can not be produced.

I provided 3 out of 4 items they requested as proof of stay. One of those items a visa receipt for rental with the owners name on it.

Any other suggestions for filing a complaint ?

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,350 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Oct 11, 2011 2:58 PM (in response to mtinal)
    No Contract No review.

Why would you even think about renting anything without a contract?

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    May 2, 2012 10:36 PM (in response to mtinal)
    Re: No Contract No review.

Have you trying calling the VRBO team. They are usually very responsive. If you can prove your stay with proof of payment that should be enough. How can a homeowner refute your stay if you prove payment.

Marilyn

Www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

• sophie Senior Contributor 957 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      May 2, 2012 10:55 PM (in response to marilyn)

These are the rules that vrbo/ha has set in place and just proving payment never works to prove you stayed at property. I stayed in a property and left a less than 5 star review. The owner said to vrbo/ha that I didn't stay there.  I had all documentation, all emails, canceled check  along with check in information. They still wouldn't post the review. They told me since the owner claimed we didn't stay there that I needed more proof.....I ended up having to send them pictures of us in the unit to prove we stayed there.

They ended up posting the review. This owner commented on the review saying that we canceled our stay and that I didn't even stay at the property.  I was furious at her lies but thank goodness I had photos to prove that we stayed there.

Lesson learned, when I stay in a vrbo, I ALWAYS take pictures of myself inside the unit.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
        Aug 9, 2011
        May 4, 2012 3:18 AM (in response to sophie)

Sophie...that is an amazing story....and I will always remember to take photos of myself at the rental to prove to HA-VRBO that I was there!  How dishonest was that owner!!?!!    Actually, I always assumed that HA-VRBO wanted proof of the stay before accepting and uploading a "negative" review...but I never knew that they did not accept the "negative"  if the contract was not produced by the reviewer --- e.g. the payment documentation is not enough. But, your photos were.   Live and learn!  Thank you for that "mind-blowing" piece of info.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
        Nov 9, 2011
        May 2, 2012 11:39 PM (in response to sophie)

That is truly incredible. The fact that home owner accepted payment was not enough? Then what was the payment for according to home owner.

Goes to show that pictures are worth a thousand words.

Marilyn

Www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,350 posts since
          May 25, 2011
          May 3, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to marilyn)

Amazing! Makes you wonder if the homeowner is legal in other aspects of renting. Paying taxes? Hmmm.  Those types give us ALL a black eye when they act so.

One of these days that "no contract" matter is going to get them in BIG trouble.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points