Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3758 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 11:41 PM by mauinmore RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Apr 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2012 5:23 PM

Scam?

Does this sound like a scam?

Professional married woman, 54, comming to France to work, visit friends and family.  PLEASE CALL or email ME ON MAUI,USA TO DISCUSS detais interested in week to year.  All fees paid by  Trust Fund Directly to you.  Do you offer long-term discounts?  With Aloha, Debby Thanks so very much.  Deborah XXX

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Apr 23, 2012 11:18 AM (in response to irish)
    Re: Scam?

Yes. 

Week to year?  Trust fund?  Long-term discount?  I do not respond to any inquires that do make sense on reading.

I understand I could be letting a legitimate prospect go, but I am more concerned about possibly supplying personal information to a scammer that might use it to take advantage of me, or potential renters.  I am wary of responding to these types of inquiries because, I believe, a response will elicit more inquiries from the same, or other dubious sources.

I also suggest keeping personal information to a minimum in responses to all inquiries until you can be assured there is an actual person behind the email or telephone inquiry.  . 

• mlbmaine Active Contributor 888 posts since
    Mar 2, 2012
    Apr 23, 2012 11:27 AM (in response to irish)

It certainly sounds odd.  The item that seems the strangest to me is the "week to year" possible rental term.  Her mentioning up front that all fees will be paid from a trust fund directly to you is also odd.  (I do not accept third-party checks from renters.  I worry about potential scams.  I also worry that if the security deposit is someone else's money, even a relative, that the renters do not have any incentive to take good care of the property.)   I always do an internet search for a potential renter before I respond to them.  Have you been able to find this woman, verify that the telephone number is hers and possibly learn something about her?  If not, I think I would just ignore her e-mail.

• mauioceanview Contributor 250 posts since
      Jul 22, 2011
      Apr 23, 2012 1:09 PM (in response to mlbmaine)

on the other hand, I have never heard of a scammer asking you to call them.... just checked our phone book, there is no listing for her in the 2011/12 Maui directory. However, so many people skip landlines and just have cells these days. And yes, 'week to a year' is a little bizarre. Good luck!

• New Member 7 posts since
      May 1, 2012
      May 1, 2012 6:36 PM (in response to mlbmaine)

verify the number by calling me!!

• ttaylor0 Active Contributor 421 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    May 1, 2012 6:05 PM (in response to irish)

As all the others have said, "There is no question this is a scam and that she is going to try to get money from you."  Just drop her and do not have any correspondence with her in the future.

May 1, 2012
      May 1, 2012 6:31 PM (in response to ttaylor0)

I AM DEBORAH, THE PERSON ABOUT WHOM YOU'VE ALL BEEN WRITING!! ALOHA!! ttaylor0 just above -Who are you quoting? By the way, no one said those words ... and everything I have written to any of you is absolutely true. You have all of my peronal information, so why not just call me? I congratulate the wise souls above who execised some common sence in their posts, like ..."never heard of a scammer asking you to call them" ... and why not mention Merrill Lynch? Would you rather take a chance on bad personal check towards the end than a bank wire from a Merrill Lynch Trust Account?  Have I asked any one for anything  ... for any money???? Is this lible - so many of you know who I am? Would someone please have the courage of their pontifications to call me. I welcome all calls and further comments. Personally, very sorry for any misconceptions. Debby on Maui

Jul 27, 2011
    May 1, 2012 6:40 PM (in response to irish)

There was a post here a few minutes ago, apparently removed by admin, that claimed to be the woman that wrote the original inquiry.  In the event it was from the person that wrote the inquiry in question (and how likely is that . . . . ) here are my thoughts for the writer, on the issues presented by the inquiry:   Edited to add:  Ok, the post is here, did I imagine it removed, or am I just confused.  Sigh . . . .   Edited again to add:  this post is different, was it removed to take out certain identifying information, and returned to the thread?  Or am I truly losing it tonight?

Hello,

It's good to hear your inquiry was not a scam.

However, the haphazard nature of your written inquiry is similar in many respects to the typical scam emails many of us receive.

"Professional married woman, 54, comming to France to work, visit friends and family.  PLEASE CALL or email ME ON MAUI,USA TO DISCUSS detais interested in week to year.  All fees paid by  Trust Fund Directly to you.  Do you offer long-term discounts? With Aloha, Debby Thanks so very much.  Deborah XXX"

There are several odd details in your note.   If you wish to receive responses, I would recommend using complete sentences and explaining unusual circumstances such as "all fees paid by trust fund" or simply leave this out.  It's  not necessary to mention payment method in the initial inquiry, in my opinion.  And asking for a discount when a trust fund will be utilized (as trust funds are typically associated with the well-to-do) is certainly unusual.  I understand that there are all types of trusts, but the person you are writing to is likely to find mention of  a trust fund and a discount odd.  And, another unusual request - week to year - what is someone supposed to make of this time span?  Do you want a quote for a week, two weeks, a month, three months, the year . . . .  

I respectfully suggest you write in a more traditional manner and explain your thinking to the recipient of your email.  Your intentions are not clear to me, nor were they clear to the recipient. 

Best to you on finding a suitable place to stay and enjoy your visit with family and friends in France!

May 1, 2012
      May 1, 2012 6:52 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

Thank you ... I replaced original post - not enough room for all info and full sentences. My trust is a 'spendthrift trust' in which every penny must be accounted for ... that's why I'm still working, which I love, and looking for a long-term discounts. I travel a lot in Europe and Mexico and have either a car or a Eurail pass, so I am always interested in outlying areas to make my writings and photos more rich and interesting ... is this really so hard to imagine? Is it easier to think of something so negative? What a true shame. Why a year I write for magazines on a free lance ebasis Debby on Maui PS - All of this is explained to those that respond to my requests kindly, and they are and always have become very good friends once the rental commences. Thanks so very much once again

• carol Senior Contributor 2,136 posts since
        Dec 10, 2010
        May 1, 2012 6:57 PM (in response to mauinmore)

As a writer, you should value the power of words -- and they are free, so why not use more of them to explain why you are interested in that  house?   Now that you've taken the time to explain, you sound like a wonderful guest. 

May 1, 2012
          May 1, 2012 7:37 PM (in response to carol)

Thank-you Carol, and what you say is so very true."Some just don't think things through, don't have much to do, and should instead pick up a good book too." wow ... To answer your question, there just is not enough space for all one's importatnt info in the initial RFI form in vrbo or Homeaway esspecially. Thanks so very much, Debby on Maui

May 1, 2012
    May 1, 2012 7:49 PM (in response to irish)

REPLY TO irish' post: This post above has been edited and/or is cut and pasted ... I finish everthing 'Debby on Maui' and I would never use 'XXX' when communicating with a person I had never even met ... Debby on Maui

May 1, 2012
      May 1, 2012 7:54 PM (in response to mauinmore)

OH, SOMEONE DID CALL AND SAID NOTHING. I EXPLAINED THIS AND ASKED THEM TO "PLEASE CALL BACK, ALOHA"

Jul 27, 2011
      May 1, 2012 8:23 PM (in response to mauinmore)

Hello, again. 

Thank you for explaining all to us. 

It must have been  surprising and distressing to be the subject of this thread.

If the original inquiry was cut and pasted by irish, in order to highlight the "odd" bits and pieces, that likely changes everything (well, many things) about your inquiry.

This thread has certainly taken a series of twists and turns. 

A good night to all,  and Aloha. 

May 1, 2012
        May 1, 2012 11:41 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND THOUGHTS. I MUST BE ENTIRELY DENSE, BUT

WHEN YOU READ WHAT IRISH HAD ENTERED AS 'MY INFO' WHAT WITH 'DEBBY' AND

'DEBORAH' (A WOMAN SIGNING  A NAME WITH TWO VERY DIFFERENT CONTEXTS, I

SUPPOSE, AND THEN ADD THE 'XXX', YOU'VE GOT SOME PRETTY BIZARRE

POSSIBILITIES BEING CREATED BY OUR LITTLE OL' GREEN BEER LOVER. I WAS

THINKING MORE THAT PEOPLE WERE IMAGINING THEY WERE POTENTIALLY BEING

APPROACHED BY THE VERY CLEVER AND NOTORIOUS INTERNATIONAL TOASTER OVEN

BANDIT!! TAKE COVER!! ANYWAY, I AM HURT AND EMBARRASSED BY THE ENTIRE

INCIDENT - VERY DISCOURAGED BY PEOPLES' WILLINGNESS TO JUMP ON A NEGATIVE

BANDWAGON. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR VERY KIND WISHES AND FOR TAKING

THE TIME TO PASS THEM ON TO ME. WITH MUCH APPRECIATION AND ALOHA, DEBBY ON

MAUI

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points