Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2926 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 11:11 AM by taytro RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Mar 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2012 4:44 PM

Another scam!

Beware of emails from "Over House Trades <over.housetrades@gmail.com>". I responded to rental property in Menlo Park, CA and corresponded by email, regulary for a week. I received a rental contract with the "Carefee rental guarantee from HomeAway"... and the suspicious part was that I had to wire money to the following.

Business Name: CATALINA STEFAN BUSINESS

Bank Name: Barclays Bank

Branch Address: 23 EUSTON ROAD, LONDON, NW1 2SB

IBAN: GB25BARC20106203822508

Account Number 03822508

Short Code: 201062

BIC: BARCGB22

I called the number listed on the website, and the real property owner knew nothing about my rental requests! Be careful, Future Renters!!!

• kiawahcottage Community All-Star 375 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    Mar 5, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to aslau2001)
    Re: Another scam!

Aslau2001,

Excellent catch!  It has been recommended on this forum that travelers always call the owner's number on HA or VRBO just to be sure they are dealing with the actual owner (especially if you are getting a lowball price!).

Hopefully the actual owner is taking the appropriate steps to secure their listing.

Paul

• New Member 3 posts since
    May 1, 2012
    May 1, 2012 11:11 AM (in response to aslau2001)
    Re: Another scam!

Well, I was not as smart as Aslau2001! I got scammed for $2700! Same situation as Aslau2001's but different bank numbers, business also called Over House Trades in London! Filed report with AG's office in my state. I will never use Homeaway.com again! The email link I used was from the Homeaway.com property listing! 2 lessons here: Wire transfer is red flag, and always speak to an actual person!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)