Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2430 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 2:41 AM by lovetobegrandma RSS
New Member 3 posts since
Apr 30, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2012 1:40 PM

Scam by "owner"?

was trying to rent a house in Florida for the month of May. Always travel very last minute and get offers of up to 40-60% off.

Got a response from an owner offering me 75%!!! off a OCEANFRONT home, making it an increadible and unresistable offer.The spelling was really bad (keep in mind, I am German, and my spelling is not perfect as well, but that was really bad spelling). Everything was getting set, when she wrote me the adress. I checked it out on Google, and it was not an oceanfront property. We had always corresponded under the advertised oceanfront home at homeaway. When I told her, that this is not the house that is advertised, she did not respond anymore. Strangely, I googled her name, and it came up as a very high profile real estate agent, that only sells homes over 1 million, and actually has this oceanfront home listed for sale. Had she just wrote me, that it was a mixup in homes, and she had answered under the wrong request it would have been ok, but I had no idea what that other home looked like, and she did not give any explanation. Had I not checked out the adress, I would have signed the contract, thinking to get an oceanfront home. Seems like a scam to me, I gave all my emails to homeaway, yet the home is still listed. I cant give other potential renters a warning, to watch what they are signing, since you can only write a rieview if you have stayed there. Anyone have similar experiences?

• stjvilla Active Contributor 624 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    Apr 30, 2012 1:50 PM (in response to lovetobegrandma)
    Re: Scam by "owner"?

Sure sounds like a scam.  Probably the scammer found this real estate listing and used that to set up a phony rental.  It doesn't happen often, but is a known con.

You did just the right thing checking this out, so congratulations on dodging that bullet.  This sounds like a case of "If it seems too good to be true, it propbably is!"

• carol Senior Contributor 2,142 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Apr 30, 2012 10:31 PM (in response to lovetobegrandma)
    Re: Scam by "owner"?

It does seem odd.  Did you ever try to call the owner directly?  Another thing to look for is on the Owner sidebar at the bottom -- it says how long the advertiser has been with Homeaway.   While most new listings are perfectly legitimate, it's worthwhile to be a little more careful with brand new listings. 

I have heard many complaints about property managers with multiple properties having only one Homeaway ad for all of them and shifting renters to whatever property happens to be open.  I'm glad you were alert and didn't fall for it!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)