Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4172 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2013 8:33 AM by mudstump RSS
sandybeach Contributor 56 posts since
Jan 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2012 4:11 PM

Telephone landline required?

Hi,

I'm about to start renting a place in Florida. 

Does any one know if there's a reason why you *must* have a landline in a rental? 

When I rent places, I *never* use the landline for anything.  I suspect that most of my guests would feel similarly.  If someone were particularly insistent, I would probably get a phone installed and pass the cost onto them.

Thanks,

-Rich

• stjvilla Active Contributor 626 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    Apr 28, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to sandybeach)
    Re: Telephone landline required?

There have been a couple of discussions of this topic.  Here's one: http://community.homeaway.com/message/7784#7784

If you have more questions or input, please feel free to add.

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,358 posts since
        May 25, 2011
        Apr 28, 2012 5:51 PM (in response to sandybeach)

Sandy,

I've never heard of any "legal" requirement for having a land line. As long as you inform your guests that there is no phone,  I see no problem.  We do not have one, though we do provide wireless connectivity.

One thing I DO have in my home, in our Welcome book, is a list of all local medical facilities, On that page in BOLD letters is our Street address, should they have to call for EMS. (Something I always had posted in our home for our baby sitters, etc.) 

Cell phones don't "ping" back to an address on most Emergency lines such as 411, as a land line does. but as long as your guests are aware I wouldn't expend the cost. You can always buy one of those "pay as you go" cell phones, if you're more comfortable. 

Debj          

• mudstump Contributor 140 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    Sep 18, 2013 6:02 PM (in response to sandybeach)

Landlines are required in many cases for public safety.  Hurricanes, storms and tsunamis are all reasons landlines can help the public in emergency situtations. 

• amchap Contributor 241 posts since
      Oct 1, 2011
      Sep 19, 2013 8:12 AM (in response to mudstump)

I've never heard of a legal requirement to provide a landline. But if you're going to have one for emergency situations, then make sure that at least one phone in the house is not cordless and can thus operate when the electricity is down.

• mudstump Contributor 140 posts since
        Nov 13, 2012
        Sep 19, 2013 8:33 AM (in response to amchap)

My home is inspected by the city every five years as part of my transient rental license.  You must have a landline or no permit.  Permits are renewed each year and the city has a long list of requirements.  Basically, you home has to be up to code with extinguishers, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors..etc.....  It can be a pain but, I understand the safety aspect of the requirement.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points