Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4646 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 4:50 PM by trish RSS
kiawahcottage Community All-Star 375 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2012 8:02 PM

OK, I'm pet friendly. Dogs 'n Cats. Sure! Parrots? WTH??

Hi,

Just got an inquiry from a couple who want bring their 4 parrots. Seriously. 4 parrots.

Anybody?

Paul

• sophie Senior Contributor 967 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011

That's hilarious! Why in the world is someone traveling with their parrots? Are they relocating?

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011

I rented to a nice senior couple last October who traveled from Colorado to  Hawaii.  They told me that they travel A LOT...and that was the first time they could not take their parrot, because it's complicated bringing animals into Hawaii.

The bird has been all over the USA.  They showed me photos on their computer of "the bird" at the Grand Canyon, "the bird" in New York City", "the bird" on the Brooklyn Bridge, "the bird" at Niagra Falls, "the bird" in Utah, "the bird" camping.....that bird went everywhere they did and they travelled to almost all the States. The guy would put the bird in his pocket when they had to get inside some places.

I have a no-pet policy which is clearly stated.  But, someone actually called me a while back and asked if they may bring their "goat"...that would stay in the garden and never enter the house. So, before asking price and availability, their first question was whether my garden was fenced in.  People have goats on my island...and this one was a beloved pet.  (I could not let them bring the goat.}

'

I used to own parrot {Boris}. He spent his time on a tall perch...or sitting on the "arm" of a stereo system we had {Boris liked music}.  Anyway...it can get  messy so if you consider permitting them to bring their 4  parrots, I suppose you should impose some "parrot rules"....like, they must stay caged....or you and/or your cleaner may need to clean up after and sanitize some "high places" where they perched.

• sfvacationhut Community All-Star 643 posts since
      Dec 31, 2010

anja wrote:

I rented to a nice senior couple last October who traveled from Colorado to  Hawaii.  They told me that they travel A LOT...and that was the first time they could not take their parrot, because it's complicated bringing animals into Hawaii.

The bird has been all over the USA.  They showed me photos on their computer of "the bird" at the Grand Canyon, "the bird" in New York City", "the bird" on the Brooklyn Bridge, "the bird" at Niagra Falls, "the bird" in Utah, "the bird" camping.....that bird went everywhere they did and they travelled to almost all the States. The guy would put the bird in his pocket when they had to get inside some places.

Hilarious story, and helpful info, too, Anja !

Yes, I could imagine that having a bird in the house could get very messy, unless the bird is potty trained ??

• New Member 16 posts since
        Feb 26, 2011

I have a no pet policy.  When I met some of my guests about a month ago, they apparently liked and trusted me so they said, "we know we aren't supposed to bring pets, but come in and meet our bird."  I followed them into the kitchen where the bird was located in a cage.  Before I could say "Squat" (or "Tweet"), they took it out and put it on my shoulder, the whole family of four looking on admiringly.  Then one of them said something about "oh, it looks like it might have to go to the bathroom."  I was appalled but kept my demeanor.

Although I liked the family, I was relieved when that bird and them left town.  Luckily, I could not find any "remants" left behind after a careful search through the apartment and cleaning.  But I was not happy about their deception.

I changed my rental agreement to put still cleaning fee penalties in there for any pets that were not approved by me (as owner) in advance.  I don't think this will happen again.  If it does, at least they will be paying for the cleaning process.

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
          Dec 10, 2010

In 10 years of renting, we've had two pet stays where birds were involved.  Both guests gave me complete background on their birds, explained how they care for them and how the bird is caged, and agreed to take care of full clean-up if needed.  I called a friend who worked at a zoo aviary during college and he gave me the scoop on whether accepting a bird would be an issue LOL  I have to say, both families were extremely grateful and the housekeepers said they found no trace of feathers, bird feed or droppings.  One family even sent me crazy pictures of their bird with his "costumes" on.  One was Uncle Sam and that was a hoot.  Another was where they'd taken him for a walk--really--to our community lake.  They sent several photos of him sitting on tree branches and a rock with his "flight suit" and attached leash.  BTW, both of the bird "guests" were smaller breeds.  One was a Lorie (sp?) and the other was that smaller parrot variety that's bright green.  The breed name escapes me now, sorry.  I would not rule out birds totally but definitely ask a lot of questions and make it worth your while financially with a pet stay fee and maybe even additional security deposit.

Aug 9, 2011
        This practical tip, which I forgot to mention earlier, is based on my own experience with birds and bird seed...take it for what it is:  storage of bird seed should be done wisely.  Bird seed attracts rodents.  For "parrot policy", I'd instruct the guests to store bird seed in GLASS containers with lids....whether they will keep the seeds indoor or outdoors.
        Earlier, I spent some good money on  large "bird seed" containers specially made for bird-feed storage. These were well constructed for the purpose. I put one sack of seed in it {seed still in the sack}, sealed the container as directed  and put it in the shed. And, I had a second, same container, which I emptied a sack of seek into...which I kept "out back" closer to my home for easy access.  I discovered, after a very short time...maybe a week....that both of the containers were "invaded"....there were big holes chewed into the heavy duty plastic by field rats who were helping themselves...and the container in the shed contained half the volumn of bird food !! left. The critters destroyed the bird food containers competely.   I found very large glass containers with glass lids {inexpensive} in Walmart...the containers hold 10 lbs of bird food ...to store bird food.   So, glass containers, of any sort with lids, are necessary to prevent rodent attraction at or inside your rental.  Using glass, we never had another invasion!

More on -----"The bird"------
        Continuing on....I heard so much about this couple's "bird".  I forgot to mention that "the bird" was named Hitchhike {Hitch for short}, he is 25 years old....and has a very large volcabulary.  In fact, when I called the "inquirers" back after they left a voice mail for me, guess who answers the phone in a recorded  message?, screaching like this:     "Hello...We're Not Home...Hello...Call Back....Hello ..."  {I can't remember the rest but I think it was "Leave A Message"...}. They said "Hitch" repeats just about anything...and he's got a potty mouth too.
        After their visit with me, they emailed to tell me that they taught "Hitch" how to say:  Aloha...No Hu Hu -- {means stay cool in Hawaiian}...and Surf's Up.   These people were so cute to have as guests...so many "Hitch" stories ...I suggested they write a book about traveling with "Hitch".  They even sent a post card to "the bird" from Hawaii.
        • trish Contributor 151 posts since
          Feb 24, 2011

This is a great topic......and I've got to add a bit here. I work with birds and travel with birds through my full time job. They are not parrots or parakeets, but birds of prey. It's very hard to find a place (I always have to go to hotels because most of my travel is just a day or two here and there to to talks about birds of prey and conservation, etc)

I always tell the hotel I have an Eagle, Hawk, Falcon, or whatever with me and that it will be in it's kennel when it's in the room, or will sit on a perch (the floor is completely covered with a sheet I travel with....clean and non stinky for every trip) for short periods of time to stretch or enjoy time with some human companionship and look out the window. At first, they are aghast that I would want to bring a bird of prey into their hotel, but I send pics in some cases and tell them that a raptor will be the most quiet guest they've ever had. Some just don't allow pets at all and that's fine, but I have a list of places I go in many cities where they welcome me and my raptor friends happily. I have even done free talks for hotel guests in the lobby or entry area to thank the hotel for their hospitality. I carry a dust buster to clean up any traces of feathers, etc. and when I leave a room, you would never have a clue a bird was there at all. I even have a lint cleaner that I roll on the floor to make sure there aren't any tiny bits of down left anywhere. If someone were to ask about having a parrot in my vacation rental, I would allow it, as long as they were as anal as I am about cleaning up after the bird. My birds also don't walk around pooping on things...they stay on their perches, so I know where "stuff" will drop. I take them out with falconry equipment for a walk in the outdoors during our stay, and they get to flap wings, watch other birds and people, etc.

I've had hotel managers say "we thought you were nuts at first, but it worked out fine and our other guests loved talking to you and seeing your birds".

Aug 9, 2011

Trish...how interesting! 

I love birds....and  I'd love to experience "the birds of prey".  I've not seen an Eagle,  but Hawk and Falcon, yes...and Owl.   Gorgeous.  That's an interesting profession you have.  Do you have a website about them?

My husband and I would love to see it.  

I'm in a fly-to location and travelling from outside into my State with a pet of any kind is a headache to pre-arrange...so "pet issues" are not something I would normally experience from vacationers here .... unless it's a resident of the State travelling either within the island or inter-island with their pet.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)