Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3220 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2013 4:25 PM by bgwelborn RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2012 3:27 PM

Make-up and towels

I switched to white towels to help with how quickly color towels begin to look aged and show wear.  Now I see how often women wipe make-up off with wash cloths.  I've tried leaving make-up removal pads out on the counters in the bathrooms as a hint but I continue to have to bleach and pre-treat heavily stained towels, hand towels and wash cloths AND pillow cases...many times having to wash the whole lot two and three times.

Do I just accept this and keep spares of mostly wash cloths or has anyone hung a sign or something else to try to deter this problem?  As I said I've set out packs of wet-type make-up removal wipes and often they go untouched!  Every now and then I get a guest wipe shoes with a washcloth so I've added packs of shoe wipes and they get used but this make-up thing has me stumped.

Also I'd love to tell families with teen girls that their pro-active and acne meds yellows my towels and pillow cases but I'm sure that it would mortify the girl so I keep quiet.

Suggestions please!?!

• sophie Senior Contributor 955 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Apr 25, 2012 3:30 PM (in response to moltened)
    Re: Make-up and towels

I have all pristine white towels and washcloths and was experiencing this same problem. I went and purchased dark brown washclothes and put them in a basket in the bathroom and marked them "Makeup Removal". If they stain them, it doesn't show because they are dark brown and you can't see it. It's worked like a dream and they still have the pristine white fluffy ones if they wish!

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Apr 25, 2012 4:29 PM (in response to moltened)

Women won't use disposable makeup towelettes because many women's skin is very sensitive to different chemicals. While an Oil of Olay pad works fine for my wife, a Neutrogena pad makes her break out.  The exact opposite is true for her sister.  So unless it is a brand that they've already had success with, they won't "experiment" with something new while on vacation.

As for washclothes - we just accumulated 2 new dustrags after out last guests.  And one hand towel too.  I'm not sure if it was mascara or what, but it just won't come out in the wash.

We tried going with dark washclothes, but we found that many of the makeup cleaners that women bring with them have a bleaching effect on dark fabrics, so we had brown washclothes with orange streaks and blobs on them.  We tried different brands of washclothes with the same result.

At least with white ones we can bleach or try stain sprays on them.  80% of the time we get them back to near-new condition.

Our ace in the hole is Kohls.  Their entry level "Crofts and Barrows" towels and washcloths are unexpectedly fluffy, especially after washing.  Guests comment on how nice they are - nicer than they have at home.  But the kicker is that we buy them by the boatload every time Kohls has them on sale (about once a month).  When on sale, the bath towels are $4 each, handtowels $3, and the washclothes are $2 each.  Time it right with a 30% off coupon, and they're almost as cheap as the disposable stuff (maybe more so actually).  So when another towel or washcloth gets so soiled that we can't clean it, we pull one of the spares from the linen closet and replace it - and I end up with another dustcloth for cleaning the bookshelves!

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Apr 25, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to moltened)

We have white towels also. We put a couple of tan colored washclothes on each sink with a sign asking them to uses these towels for make up removal. So far, it's working great. Our housekeeper loves it.

• thesimones New Member 5 posts since
      Nov 18, 2013
      Nov 18, 2013 8:21 AM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Good idea on a couple of dark washcloths for make-up removal. Had never thought of that and may preclude future damages on the other towels. 

• hill5185 Contributor 192 posts since
        Mar 28, 2012
        Nov 18, 2013 11:11 AM (in response to thesimones)

make-up towells.jpg

These have definitely saved our white towels. I bought the wash cloths and had a local company embroider them.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011
          Nov 18, 2013 1:46 PM (in response to hill5185)

Hi 'hill'.....I share your good experience. I also have a sweet basket with fluffy "make up" towels and gentle remover ...this has been a winner for me, as well.  The guests will also find the makeup remover (wet) towelettes that are sold by Costco (these are pretty gentle).

P.S. I don't know why, but it seems that our senior guests are using the packaged wet towelettes....and our younger guests don't touch those...but they do use the pretty fluffy 'make up'  towels.  Just one of those 'guest-behaviour' observances I personally glean being a 'hands-on' self-managing Owner.

• bgwelborn New Member 4 posts since
          Jul 16, 2012
          Nov 19, 2013 4:25 PM (in response to hill5185)

That's one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time!

I will be adding this to my standard linen package now.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points