Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2408 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2014 10:22 PM by skiandglee RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Apr 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2012 7:02 AM

Wireless keypad locks for thin doors

I have followed with great interest the several discussions about wireless keypad locks. Based on research and the advice here I settled on the eRentalLock system, which I was excited about due to the ability to set wirelessly and the Schlage name, until I realized it was not going to fit on my door because it is too narrow (an inch or less, though I haven't yet been able to measure it). We live in a historic neighborhood, so replacing the door is not an option. Does any one have a recommendation for wireless keypad locks for thinner doors? Thanks in advance.

• Contributor 233 posts since
    Dec 26, 2011
    Apr 25, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to walker504)
    Re: Wireless keypad locks for thin doors

I'd like to add to your question to see if anyone is aware of a keypad lock for a sliding glass door?

• jakemarcus New Member 3 posts since
    May 3, 2013
    Apr 16, 2014 12:07 PM (in response to walker504)

this looks nice idea.. you know what I am in fact also working on similar stuff but this time I will try try smartphone app that can lock/unlock front doors. Since I know script and source coding, I am plannin gto makecertain application that will work on smartphone. I am also eyeing doors from http://caldwells.com/interior-doors/shaker-doors which I think this is best one to use for my ingenius ideas. Hopefully it will work.

• stonemsp Senior Contributor 1,123 posts since
    Mar 19, 2013
    Apr 16, 2014 3:53 PM (in response to walker504)

You havent provided much to go on.

If your door is only 1" thick, that is the same thickness of all modern bolts (the moving thingy that goes into the strike plate to lock the door).

If your door is a simple flat slab, simply glue a sheet of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood onto the inside of the door to make it thicker.

If your door is more decorative, you would have to build up the area around the lock.  For example get a piece of hardwood 4" x 8" x 3/4" or so and bevel the edges nice (so people wouldnt cut their hands on it).  Then use that piece between the lock knobs to thicken up the door in the lock area.

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Apr 16, 2014 10:22 PM (in response to walker504)

I went to install a schlage keypad lock on a friend's door that was metal with a large glass insert and wrought iron decorative cages over the glass.  It was also too thin, about 3/8" I think.  I called a local locksmith out and asked him his opinion and he fabricated a metal spader the exact same shape as the Schlage lock.  It was cheap too, like less than $50.  He painted it the same color as the door and it is now invisible.  Perhaps you can also call a local locksmith and make this suggestion to see if they could provide you with that kind of custom service.

Rick

www.vacationrentalhelper.com

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points