Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
970 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 2:30 PM by rsfgirl RSS
New Member 19 posts since
Jul 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2012 2:30 PM

Competitors Ads on VRBO website?!

Did you know that VRBO is showing ads for local hotels, other local vacation rental websites and other local competitive "sponsored ads" right next to YOUR VRBO listing?

This is like McDonalds having ads for Burger King, Carl's Junior and Wendy's on the McDonalds website and represents a serious conflict of interest. Where is VRBO's commitment to their customers?

When I brought this to the attention of VRBO to make a complaint I got the response that VRBO is allowed to show "sponsored links" on their website because it's in the fine print of their contract. I am not satisfied with this response, just because they can put sponsored ads on their site doesn't make it right to send people off the VRBO website to some hotel or other vacation rental property group.

These advertisers are paying VRBO pennies to show their ads next to our listings while VRBO customers like me and you are paying $600 a year. Why should an ad paying pennies be next to my $600 a year ad? If the ads were for beach towels or sunscreen or skis or something vacation related I would not have (as much) as an issue with them being displayed. The problem is the ADS ARE FOR COMPETING SITES TO VRBO ITSELF.  DUH! What is VRBO thinking?

It doesn't take a genius to see that sending potential customers off the VRBO website to a competitors website is a BAD IDEA.

If you are as angry as I am about this TELL VRBO ABOUT IT

SEND AN EMAIL TO

support-cs@vrbo.com

Here is text to COPY AND PASTE in your email:

To Whom It May Concern:

I do not agree with VRBO showing targeted sponsored ads for local competitive rental and hotel websites next to my highly paid VRBO rental listing. These sponsored ads are proposing local hotels and other non-VRBO affiliates to potential renters and are potentially compromising my rental ability by introducing unneeded competition. This is not in the best interest of me, your customer.

Just as customers have a number of choices to find a rental property, I as an owner have a choice of where to advertise my rental. I can go to FlipKey or B2B Air or any a number of other websites.

Stop your greedy and selfish interests of increasing your revenue at the expense of your customer. I urge you to abandon showing targeted sponsored ads for local competitors websites next to your customer listings. This is unaccepatble behavior and represents a serious conflict of interest!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points