Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
921 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 2:32 PM by petersolberg RSS
rosiecrawford New Member 7 posts since
Sep 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2012 4:21 PM

Heading Home - Florida to Washington State using VRBO

We were almost discouraged to travel via VRBO on our way home in spite of a wonderful experience on our way south last September.  When I started planning our trip home, I logged back onto VRBO after not even thinking about it for months to see what I could find using the "Southern route".  We went south on the "Northern route" last fall and wanted to make a big circle of our travel to and from our winter homes.  For some reason, it was hard for me to find the original place where I posted a blog.  In fact, all I could find was a bunch of negative comments.

So with a certain amount of anxiety, I ignored the negative stuff and decided to rely on our own experience on our trip south.  I was really happy I did that as we once again had some wonderful experiences with the VRBO rentals.  In fact, I am afraid to list our own properties as I am not sure I can get them up to the standards we have found along the way.

A couple of thoughts after eight experiences with vacation rentals;

1.  Most are not set up for our type of travel where we are going from one place to another and try to get there in the least time possible - hence our interest in staying one night.  Most are set up for a minimum of two nights and some only rent for a week or more.

2.  Cleaning fees can add quite a bit to the per night cost when you are staying for a shorter visit.

3.  Deposits were a pain in the head, but all were returned to us after we stayed.

4.  All the homes we encountered were sparkling clean and well equipped.

5.  It was hard to find places that were feasible for just one couple.  In all but one, two couples could have shared the trip and the expense and it would have been a lot more interesting, fun, and less expensive.  I think most people probably use these homes for gatherings and vacations rather than enroute stops.  We did use one vacation rental in McCall, Idaho last September for a family affair and that worked really well.

6.  The cost for one couple was about twice to three times what a hotel would cost.

7.  The trip took several more days - we could be home in 4 or 5 days if we made a beeline for home.  We are still on the road after 8 days, but will be home in 10 - so about twice as long.

8.  The trip was much less tiring than a hotel based trip.

9.  We will do it again!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)