Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2075 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2012 7:52 AM by pollygal RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Apr 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2012 9:25 AM

First time using HomeAway

Hi,

This my first time to book from HomeAway, and I have a concern about property owners - is there a way  I can see how they are with the customers? I mean some kind of rating for the owners, or i can  just ask directly about the owner's name  in the forum ?

• mauioceanview Contributor 251 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    Apr 21, 2012 4:27 PM (in response to yasser48)
    Re: first time in home away

How about doing some internet searches on their name and the property address? they may have been reviewed on Tripadvisor or yelp, or may even have reviews on other listings. Good luck!

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Apr 22, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to yasser48)

Hello yasser48.  I am a rental owner, as 'mauioceanview' is.

Everyone might be a little insecure the first time renting -- and that goes for both the traveller, such as yourself, and the rental owners, such as we are!  Don't forget, we owners are giving the keys to our homes to perfect strangers!  We feel very insecure, too, and would like some "evidence" that people asking for entrance into our homes are "trustworthy" and will treat us and our home well.

If you want some "evidence" about how the owners are with the guests, you will have to do some footwork to find it.  But, it's not hard...just devote the time. It will be you who will have to sign the contract so devote time to read everthing before you do....starting with the advertisement...and then the property/owner reviews.

Using HA and/or VRBO to find a property to rent,  read the ads and read the traveller "reviews" that were written by people who have stayed in the place. If the owner has a website or a FaceBook page, you might find the links to those sites on their HA or VRBO advertisements --- and there could be more "traveller" comments to find there.  Internet searches, as "mauioceanview" suggested might produce even more places where people have commented about the property and the owners. Often, an owner will write a "response" to travellers' reviews, too, so you can get an idea of how an owner handles a "negative" review. But, be careful not to judge owners too quickly because of a negative review because some negative reviews are written by "travellers" for reasons that are not always fair  {I said..."not always"....so use your common sense and try to see how many "good reviews" out balance the "negative" one or two}.

If none of the "reviews" and traveller comments you find online are enough assurance for you, you can telephone the owners...but you should do that anyway because you are new to private rental.....or was it just HA that you are new to?   If the phone # is not visible on the ad, email the owner and ask them for a phone conversationBe sure to tell them that you are renting for the "first time" from HA {I would certainly want to know this...if you were wanting to rent my place}.  Ask the owner any questions and state any concerns you may have, diplomatically.   The overwhelming majority of rental owners are like you....they are people who own property, people who travel, people who rent private rentals using HA, and most owners have the same concerns that you do!  We want to know who we are renting from, too, when we travel!

Owners will want to help you....and they will be open with you....but if you doubt something about the conversation you have with the owner, then do not rent from them!   Find another one.

And, just for the record:  the overwhelming majority of rental owners are just as "concerned" about you. We are very interested to know who you are.....we are interested to know why you want to rent our house...what brings you to our location {is it vacation, business travel, visiting family/friends who live in our area}.  The more information you give us, in the inquiry, about yourself the better our relationship will be from the beginning...from the very first contact.  Everything about the owner-vacation-rental trade between two "strangers" is based  on 100% TRUST.  Owners publish everything about their place...but we know nothing about the people who send us emails because they want to live in our house.  We both have to do "diligence" to learn to trust each other...and the only way is by being open, by communicating.

• New Member 2 posts since
      Mar 8, 2012
      Apr 23, 2012 7:52 AM (in response to anja)

Very informative food for thought . We are renting for the first time in SC and some skepticism too but after talking with owner and reading ur comments it made me see both sides of the equation . I am much more comfortable and will be in contact with the property owner to improve their comfort level as well

Thanks for reminding me of your side

A happier renter

Sent from my iPhone

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points