Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
5087 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2012 10:35 PM by sophie RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2010 1:03 PM

What is you opinion of new tv ad?

Hi All,

I am taking an unscientific pole on HomeAway's new ad for the Superbowl.

On a 1 to 10 scale do you like the new ad and do you think it will bring in renters.

Where "0" is you hate it and 10 is you love it what number would you give it.

I will post the result of your opinion in a few days.

Please add any comments you wish.

Jim Leonard

This is the link HomeAway sent me to see the spot.

HomeAway Vacation Rentals:

• sapphiresteve Active Contributor 503 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    Dec 30, 2010 1:45 PM (in response to jimhliv)

My opinion, for what it's worth, was that last year's ad was really good, and this year's is not nearly as good.

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010
      Feb 16, 2011 2:13 PM (in response to sapphiresteve)
      Re: What is you opinion of new tv ad?

I found the ad a bit difficult to follow.  The Office of Detourism is ambiguous sounding and kind of lost me at first.  I didn't care for the sexual innuendo because it made the primary character sound like a dirty old man hitting on his secretary. Austin Powers-esque to be sure.  The high tech video wall of graphics in the background was distracting visually because I kept wanting to check that out and missed listening to the message at times. 

Last year's return of the Griswold's for the Homeaway debut TV spot was very relatable and easy to "get".  If this will be the basis for this year's Superbowl ad, I will be interested to see if they can pull off a TV :30 that brings people to Homeaway sites.  I think it's going to be a challenge.

I give the video a 6 for production value but 2 for effectiveness in bringing people to Homeaway.com.

**Updated 2-16-11**

My review above was for the video HA posted prior to the real TV spot that aired for the Superbowl.  Like many, I was disappointed in the ad's ability to get across to the public what Homeaway is. IMHO, HA used the 'any publicity is good publicity' means to get people's attention.  The fact that an alternate flying-baby-being-safely-caught ending was filmed tells you they were prepared for negative fallout.  Which may be what HA wanted--because that brings the banter about Homeaway's superbowl ad fresh legs in the media for a few more days.  In the world of advertising, you can't be middle of the road, so from this perspective they succeeded. 

Personally I would much rather see a campaign on CNN, HNN, CNBC, Travel, HGTV, History, NatGeo, We, OWN, Food Network, etc. Target the vacationing demos, fine tune the message and broadcast it on multi-channels rather than 30 short seconds on Fox for the Super Bowl. 

• New Member 8 posts since
    Dec 19, 2010
    Feb 2, 2011 12:52 AM (in response to jimhliv)

Looks like there is a bunch of new content for the campaign up here:

http://detourism.homeaway.com

There's lots of short videos, and an interactive application where you can add your face or your bosses face to the baby's face.

My guess is that just getting homeaway in front of millions of people watching the superbowl can only be positive for making folks aware of homeaway and vacation rentals in general.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Feb 9, 2011
    Feb 9, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to jimhliv)

0 - really horrible! Can't believe you are running it! Will never use HomeAway unless this ad is retracted and apology to public.  There are people out there who do actually abuse babies!

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
      Nov 18, 2010
      Feb 9, 2011 10:27 AM (in response to ellen)

Hi Ellen,

Our CEO, Brian Sharples, did issue this apology to the public yesterday. Since that time, it has been picked up by several major media outlets. I hope this is helpful.

Best Regards,

Laura

Laura Kelso

HomeAway Global Community Manager

Feb 9, 2011
        Feb 9, 2011 11:01 AM (in response to laura)

Laura:

Thank you for your reponse and I did read the apology. Is ad being scrapped?

Of all the really good ideas out there, I can't believe that your ad people

presented such a bad idea and HomeAway went with it! Extremely poor

judgement!

I have as good a sense of humor as anyone, but this ad crossed the line of

appropriateness. It's the "tipping point" issue - people becoming so

desensitized when they see an action over and over that no matter how

repulsive, it becomes the norm.

Again, thank you for sharing with me your CEO's somewhat public apology.

Will this be aired?

Ellen

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
          • tom.roland Contributor 39 posts since
            Jan 21, 2011
            Feb 9, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to laura)

I just thought it was in poor taste and confusing. I was with a group and the others didn't even get the point.

• Currently Being Moderated
              Feb 24, 2011 12:07 PM (in response to tom.roland)

Two opposite thoughts...The ad was terrible.  I couldn't understand it at all and genuinely questioned why I have paid to list with you all.

The concept of linking the ad into Social Networking after it was released was brilliant!  I used that feature through my Facebook page and made some characters to send to people asking if they'd seen themselves on the Superbowl ad.  You know they forwarded it to other friends of theirs as well.

It would be really helpful if you could educate us on how to utilize social networking linking of our listings.

• New Member 7 posts since
    Feb 12, 2011
    Feb 12, 2011 1:59 PM (in response to jimhliv)

My wife and I were watching the Superbowl ad with quite a few friends. We were very disappointed. Not just because of the tasteless baby toss, but because the ad did not work. After it was over, we asked a few in attendance what the ad was all about. They couldn't tell us. The "detourism" lead was misleading and confusing. I also think one does not become more positive by being negative. There is a place for hotels. I continue to use them for short business stays, and my wife and I frequently use them for traveling to conferences. The apology helped, but I would have liked a stronge apology and a pledge to not run negative, poor taste ads any longer. I wonder what Christine Karpinski thought of it?

• tansy Active Contributor 395 posts since
    Feb 15, 2011
    Feb 15, 2011 5:05 PM (in response to jimhliv)

if it is possible -0 - I was shocked and outraged - in fact so upset by it I picked the phone up and complained to h-r.co.uk in London and sent numerous e mails! Not so much the bonkers ad of a baby sliding down a glass wall, which is unacceptable, but the fact that the signal is given that it is OK to let kids and folk do exactly what they like in a holiday rental or hotel... jump on beds, fight & make a noise...NO NO NO ... we have enough to do and work hard enough without the company we trust that's why we pay them... to bring us business, then hoist a flag basically saying - hey guys it's OK trash the place!

May I also question what corner of the market were HA trying to attract? It's all very well getting a big spike in 'hits' but I'd be interested to see the actual conversion rates and also the statistics of cancellations, no shows and damage.

Up to now, (I have been advertising with h-r.co.uk for almost 10 years), I have been on the whole very pleased with the quality of guests - plus my closure ratio has been exceptional - however I am noticing more tyre kickers...

• New Member 1 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Feb 24, 2011 12:07 PM (in response to jimhliv)

Glad someone finally asked!  The commercial is so bad I'm tempted to quit Homeaway.  The baby has nothing to do with it.  The commercial itself is simply confusing, dated and extremely annoying.  A viewer unfamiliar with the idea of vacation rentals has to watch for 20 seconds before they even know what the "product" is.   Terrible!  Whoever produced this should be locked in a room and beaten with test babies. 

• sapphiresteve Active Contributor 503 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    Feb 24, 2011 2:14 PM (in response to jimhliv)

Just a note re: the social networking tie in. I attempted to use it, but google maps was unable to locate the property! (which is in the US)  I EMd HA and there response was of absolutey no value. Thus although the idea may have brllliant, (at least for me) the implemention and support was flawed.

Feb 24, 2011
    Feb 24, 2011 11:58 PM (in response to jimhliv)

I would rate it a 0 there was no bump in sales. I think the smushed baby head was a little over the top.  I sent the interactive version where you can place your house in it to some friends and family and the general reaction was, what the hell is this.

• New Member 5 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Feb 25, 2011 12:48 AM (in response to jimhliv)

0 ............... I thought it was crap!

• martha.degner New Member 2 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Feb 25, 2011 4:10 AM (in response to jimhliv)

Crazy and creative.  I had to watch it multiple times in the process of customizing it with our pictures, etc. and finally made sense of it.  I'm a little crazy myself, so I got a kick out of it.  Never occured to me to think it was promoting child abuse.  I did think the line about "hotels hate your guts" was a little over the top.  Can't wait to see what you come up with for next year.

• New Member 20 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Feb 25, 2011 5:55 AM (in response to jimhliv)

I don't know what HomeAway was thinking about.

Advertising it is not.

Humor it is not.

• Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2011 10:44 AM (in response to jimhliv)

Too much cute, not enough info. An ad that calls attention to itself (rather than to what it is selling) does no one any good. The message about a service that is not well known should be more straightforward. This is what we do, and this is why you should use us.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    Apr 22, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to jimhliv)

The new ad, more space and getting closer is brilliant. All families when they book their vacations hope for a warm and fuzzy experience. One that will produce life long memories. Premise of why be cramped when you can have more space, private quarters, private pool if available, etc etc. Love the ad.

• New Member 7 posts since
    Feb 12, 2011
    Apr 22, 2012 8:26 PM (in response to jimhliv)

Why are we reviving this discussion? I had hoped it would die a decent death along with the commercial!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points