Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7048 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 9:22 PM by stellaval RSS
twobitrentals Community All-Star 1,338 posts since
Aug 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2012 2:36 PM

Late check outs?

I have had several folks who just don't seem to check out on time. some days I have back to back travelers and so my cleaning lady may only have 5 hours to get everything done. As you all know that sounds like a long time, but not in an 1800 sq ft home.

I have had to put IN the contract that if folks are late checking out that there will be a $20.00 fee for every 15 minutes that they are late? I hate this...does anyone else have this problem and how did YOU deal with it.

thank you

• jamaicavilla Contributor 70 posts since
    Jul 1, 2011
    Aug 6, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to twobitrentals)
    Re: Late check outs?

My contract and rental schedule clealy states no late checkout or early check in without prior arrangement. I had  set of guest tried to check in at 10AM check out for my other guests were 11AM. Now you can see the problem. We have a recreation room on the lower section, so we let them put their luggages there. While our housekeeper was cleaning they were allowed to stay by the pool, go down to the beach or have a drink in the recreation room/bar. The drinks were complimentary.

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Feb 16, 2012 7:01 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

Like all of you, I have the in/out times in our contract.  We're more flexible in the spring/fall, but in the summer, there is simply no wiggle room.  When I send our guests the keys and final documents, I include a note with this message:

*****************************************************************************************

EVERYONE LOVES TO GO TO BALD HEAD ISLAND – DON’T YOU JUST WISH YOU COULD STAY FOREVER??...

…UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE

BECAUSE WE ARE ENTERING THE BUSY SUMMER SEASON, THE CLEANING STAFF HAS ASKED US TO REMIND OUR GUESTS THAT AS OUR LEASE PROVIDES, CHECKOUT TIME IS BY 10:00 AM ON THE DATE OF YOUR DEPARTURE.  THIS IS FIRM BECAUSE OUR STAFF MUST PREPARE FOR OUR NEXT GUESTS.

TO ENSURE THAT TRAM SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS ARE FINALIZED WELL BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE DATE, WE REQUEST THAT YOU CONTACT ISLAND TRANSPORTATION (910-457-5006) PRIOR TO OR UPON YOUR ARRIVAL ON THE ISLAND TO MAKE FERRY RESERVATIONS FOR YOUR RETURN TO THE MAINLAND.    MOST HOMES ON THE ISLAND HAVE SIMILAR DEPARTURE TIMES, AND BECAUSE TRAM SERVICE IS ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE BASIS, THE DEMAND WILL BE HIGH.

WE APPRECIATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND ASSISTANCE IN THIS MATTER.

****************************************************************************************

To my knowledge, we've offended no one.  We're not as firm with arrivals.  If people arrive before 4PM, we just make sure the golf cart is charged, ask them to drop off their luggage and the tour the island.  My cleaning staff has no problem "insisting" that guests remove themselves if they linger longer.   I support them fully.

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Feb 18, 2012 4:01 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

Because my wife and I clean our houses ourselves, we have a bit more flexibility in our scheduling, but even when we don't have a quick turn-around for new renters, getting an early start as soon as someone checks out means we get more of our evenings to ourselves - so we push pretty hard to get people out on time.

Our check-out policy is officially noon, and a good percentage of our renters are weekenders checking out on Sunday.  When it comes down to it, we usually don't get to the house until after church which is often close to 1PM.  But when we do get to the house, we want people out of it so we can get cleaning right away!

So, we sometimes use the 1PM time as an excuse to initiate a point of contact a day or two before they arrive and effectively reinforce that they must be out of the house by 1.  Depending on the correspondence we had with the guest in advance and if we know whether they are using email while here or not, we call or email something to this effect:

Dear XXX,

Our contract has stated our checkout time is officially noon, but we can move our schedule around a bit this Sunday to start cleaning your house a bit later.

We would like to extend you the offer of an extra hour at checkout for your visit - until 1PM.  We do have to insist that the house be vacated at that time so we can begin cleaning it immediately.  Please let us know (by email or phone) if you will be taking us up on this later checkout time - otherwise we will expect the house to be ready for us to start cleaning at noon.

Tom and Lisa C

xxx-xxx-xxxx

You can effectively do this for any rental by setting your checkout time an hour earlier in your contract. 

If someone baulks while booking and wants a later checkout time, you can address it right then and there, giving them the official checkout time in their contract - just remember not to send them the special late checkout offer before they arrive!  

By "giving" them the extra time, you stand out as exceptional hosts, instead of ogres enforcing a strict check out time.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    Apr 22, 2012 1:07 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

Not sure that a $20 late Che k fee is enough to deter late checkers.

We have implemented a fee of $500  for an extra 3 hours and we never have anyone ask to stay later.

Marilyn

Www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

• New Member 23 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Aug 24, 2012 9:22 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

15 minutes before check out time, we start cleaning " outside things": outside of windows, hot tub, sweeping the deck, getting rid of spider webs on deck railings and posts, etc. On our House Rules sheet, we comment that we will begin outside cleaning tasks before the checkout time. (Just forewarning them)

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points