Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
16022 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2012 1:03 PM by marilyn RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2011 5:53 PM

Key Pad access to Lodge?

I purchased a lodge in Branson, Missouri and purchased a key pad for our lodge so I do not have to have the guests check in anywhere.  I live 3 hoours away.  I can assign the access code from my computer and they can check in anytime after the check in time without using a key.  Has anyone had experiences with this method of a guest gaining access to your property?  It is from ResortLock.

I am more interested in any problems that have come up.

Thanks!

• tyann Contributor 223 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    Feb 1, 2011 6:18 PM (in response to gregpurk)
    Key Pad access to Lodge?

We use Schlage LiNK for our places. Same thing where we can assign codes for their times from our computer here at home (as well as from our iphone). However, I am able to customize the code for them. I like to make it something easy to remember for them.

We also have our thermostat on it as well so that I can control the heating and cooling from home if necessary.

Tyann Marcink

www.vacationhomeinbranson.com

• New Member 2 posts since
      Feb 1, 2011
      Feb 1, 2011 7:31 PM (in response to tyann)
      Key Pad access to Lodge?

We are also in Branson and have three condos that use Schlage locks for the doors and thermostats.  We are very pleased with the ease of using this type of control.  Our renters are glad to hear about the added security individual codes provide.  It is also great to control the thrmostat so we can eleminate excessive electric bills.

Janie

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Feb 1, 2011 8:25 PM (in response to gregpurk)
    Key Pad access to Lodge?

We use keyless entry door locks from Kwikset that you have to manually program.  I'd love to have the remote systems like Schlage, but because we have quite a few power outages where our cabins are located I'm concerned about the impact that could have on these locks.  I'm assuming there's a memory or battery backup so the code wouldn't be affected in case of an outage?  How does it work? 

Dec 28, 2010
      Feb 1, 2011 8:43 PM (in response to amyg)
      Key Pad access to Lodge?

The code is in the lock as soon as it is applied. Even if there is a power outage, the only thing affected is your ability to communicate with it (unless you let your battery die, that is). The system even monitors the battery life, so you know when you need to change it.

We have our router/modem and bridge (the communicator between you and the lock and other items) on a battery back up in case the power does go out, so we don't loose communication unless there is a long outage.

What we also love about Schlage is that it keeps a log of all the activity. Each time the deadbolt is turned or a code is entered, the action is logged. I even receive an email/text whenever a code is used. I name my codes as well so I know if it is the housekeeper or a guest who is entering.

I can also activate the lock without giving a code.

Tyann Marcink

www.vacationhomeinbranson.com

• New Member 8 posts since
    Dec 19, 2010
    Feb 2, 2011 12:13 AM (in response to gregpurk)
    Key Pad access to Lodge?

I use the schlage link as well. I've installed both the deadbolt and lever versions. I love not having to deal with keys, getting notifications when the codes are used, and being able to confirm if the lock is activated or unlocked. Here's an overview video from the company.

The admin console is easy to use, and I use the Iphone app a lot to set codes for renters on the go. The only issue I've had was when the internet to my house went down, which is not strictly speaking an issue with the lock or system.

Installation was pretty straightforward, though I had a schlage certified locksmith do it. Since then I've added a few other devices and had to reset it a few times. I also had to disable the knob lock which is not part of the system - the first guest locked himself out by closing the door!

One comment I've had from travelers is that they often expect the deadbolt to turn by itself when they punch in the code. So now I tell them that they have to turn the deadbolt to lock and unlock.

Schlage has also announced a set of sensors (for doors and windows open and shut) for 2011, and I am looking forward to those as well.

• New Member 4 posts since
      Jan 28, 2011
      Feb 4, 2011 4:22 AM (in response to sonomaguy)
      Key Pad access to Lodge?

We also use the Schlage link in our 3-properties in Fort Myers I started out with the Vera (Micasa Verde) I thought it was the greatest thing  it had some many options but what a pain to set up. I decided to switch to Schlage and what a breeze to set up. I don't have the thermostat but thinking about getting them can you control the heat and air from you computer. I know some thermostats have a button to switch from heat to air.

Thanks Mike and Nancy

http://www.vrbo.com/my/197501

• New Member 14 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    Feb 9, 2011 9:38 AM (in response to gregpurk)
    Re: Key Pad access to Lodge?

To the OP and amyg- 

For the OP - I am not familiar with the lock you are using.  We also live hours away and originally used the Schlage manual locks but recently changed to the Schlage Link.  The main issue with the Schlage Link, Resort Lock or any keyless lock system is "Will it function with no Internet or electricity?".  I think the Resort Lock system runs on randomly generated codes by assigned dates. Verify if you must have power and Internet.  I don't think you do but check it out.  Sometimes a back up lock box as a "just in case" measure is beneficial. 

For amyg asking about how the Schalage Link system works. The lock runs off two 9 volt batteries so it does not need electricity but the Internet and bridge does. Since short power outages occur often in the Ozarks, this was a concern for me so I researched this lock before purchasing.  If you have the Schlage Link, working Internet and paying the $100 annual fee you can use any of the features posted. Even though the lock works without electricity, without the Internet or paying the annual fee for the service, not all of the features work if everything is not running.  

Always Active Codes: You can manually (in person at the lock) set the lock codes if you prefer.  They work until you manually remove them like your current lock.  You can also via the Internet, assign always active codes until you remove them manually or via the Internet. 

Temporary Codes:  You can not set codes to activate/deactivate at a specific time manually.  But using the Internet you may set codes to be active only a specific time.  I found this could be a problem during Internet down time when I researched using the temporary code feature.  For example, the owner set the lock code to activate shortly before check in and the Internet is out.  The guest may or may not be able to use their code. From what I understand, if your code is set to activate at 3:30 but your Internet is out, your guest code will not work when the guest checks in at 4.  But if your Internet is running at 3:30 the assigned activation time, but goes out at 3:45, the code would work for a 4 PM check in even though the Internet is still out.  For the activation and deactivation to work, the Internet must be working at the turn ron/off times. Therefore many people have a back up lock box with a key for this reason.  I have extra "always active" codes besides the ones for myself and my housekeeper in my locks.  If a temporary code doesn't get activated because the Internet is off and it can't send the command to activate it, I can always give one of the extra "always active" codes to guests over the phone.  I can delete it when it is no longer needed.  That way I can avoid using keys unless everything fails.  Maybe someone who has had the lock long enough and experienced this can chime in?   

I don't know if the Rental Lock offers monorting like the Schlage Link does but it is one of the comforting features.  Monitoring your thermostats is wonderful when their are cold spells such as the current one in Branson's Ozarks. I love going on line and verifying the heat is on.  Since it was projected to be a massive storm I even turned my heat up to 70 before the storm hit so if the power went out, it would take longer before my condos would freeze.  We have a 3rd condo without the Schlage Link that I have worried about during the cold spell.  It has a less than a year old HVAC system.  So far the heat pump coil had to be replaced, then the furnace motor went out, and when we changed out the newly installed thermostat for the Trane one that works on the Schlage system, we found out it had been wired wrong.   No this HVAC system was not cheap.  It was twice the cost of the cheapest bid we got.   So the phrase you get what you pay for is not true in this case. The peace of mind during this cold spell would be great at this condo.  But even though I started days before our trip to install our Schlage Link system, and hours on the phone with the local cable provider, I was not able to start my Internet service there.  I would have loved to have the Link system working to give me the ability to verify this HVAC was working vs paying the housekeeper to check it.  Plus when the roads are closed, it is impossible for her to check it too.  

Wishing everyone good luck as they open their utility bill's after we survive this cold spell.  : )

Sandy

www.meadowbrook-resort.com

www.vacationingbranson.com    

• New Member 1 posts since
      Apr 13, 2011
      Apr 13, 2011 1:04 AM (in response to sandyk)
      Key Pad access to Lodge?

Sandy,

I just installed the Schlage Link and like it a lot.  However, I am looking for easy to understand user instructions.  Would you be kind enough to share you arrival instructions as it relates to the Schlage Lock with the keypad.

thanks

Rick

• New Member 10 posts since
      Feb 24, 2011
      Jan 30, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to sandyk)

Sandy you have high lighted an issue which may be a big one is a property does not have a stable wireless internet connection.  Schlage support claimed that a central portal (rather than lock internal memory) tells the lock to open on not based upon an input code.  Therefore even "always active" codes are dependent upon an active internet connection at the time of use.  I asked the support rep. to verify this critcal limitation with her superior which she did.  Would like to hear more about this issue as unfortunate "central portal control" would make this a deal breaker for me and point me to the Resort Lock.

Dec 28, 2010
        Jan 31, 2012 8:56 AM (in response to johnlosaltos)

John,

On the Schlage Link, I don't use scheduled locks, but put the guest code in as an "always active" code. That way if the internet connection is down, the lock still works for the guests. After the guest leaves, I check to make sure the doors are locked, then I remove their code and change the thermostat if they have forgotten to do that. I love being able to check the doors, as I have found guests, and even the housekeeper, have not properly locked the door. I now have a note on the door that tells the guests that they will be charged $40 if they leave the doors unlocked on departure. I include my phone number so they can call/text me to double check before they leave. I no longer have unlocked doors!

Tyann Marcink

Nature's Retreat and Canyon Retreat | Vacation Home in Branson

Website Design and Photography | Marcink Designs

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Apr 13, 2011 9:28 AM (in response to gregpurk)

Where do you purchase the locks?  Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

• New Member 18 posts since
      Oct 16, 2011
      Jan 31, 2012 9:28 AM (in response to sophie)

Depends on which locks your looking for. Lowes home depot sell the baic side of code locks,,most locksmiths or you can find them all over the internet. Most areas should have a locksmith whom can install it if you have any troubles, If you need any help with a choice on the different locks let me know id be glad to help,

tony

• New Member 8 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    May 26, 2011 9:01 AM (in response to gregpurk)
    Key Pad access to Lodge?

For those who have concerns about keycode locks that require Internet access and power outages check out www.resortlock.com or www.erentallock.com.  Both use mathematical algorithms through software you run at home to generate a key code.  You then e-mail that keycode to the guest.  When the guest arrives and enters the longer code you e-mailed them the computer chip in the lock decodes the algorithm to figure out if when they are scheduled to arrive and leave.  If it is during the present time it allows them in and lets them set their own smaller code that they will remember.

It works quite well.  You don't need to worry about actual keys, power outages (you can e-mail the guest their code a year in advance and it will only activate during their actual stay).  There is no yearly fee.  I have the erentallock system installed at 3 properties and have purchased the lock for a 4th property.  That was before I found out about resortlock.  ResortLock seems to have a few extra features.  You do not need to have Internet at the property you install the lock at.

If you let the battery go dead then you do have an issue.  I think they have some type of advanced warning when the batteries are getting low but we just replace our batteries yearly and haven't had a problem.

• New Member 16 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    May 27, 2011 6:24 PM (in response to gregpurk)
    Key Pad access to Lodge?

Wow, the resort lock looks great. What I've been doing is using one of those realtor boxes and putting the keys inside them and giving the codes to my guests. But, in order or that to work I do have to go to the property and put the keys in and out every week. If it's no too much of a hassle it does work.

A reservation app for the property owner www.tapandtrackrentals.com

Oct 16, 2011
    Oct 16, 2011 7:24 AM (in response to gregpurk)

There are a few locks on the market that specialize in codes for property owners. They all have their ups and downs and have come a long way in recent years. Some have monthly fees to the website, and cost of the lock and hardware is also a consideration.

I sell them all, so if you want to visit my website i can explain the best product for your needs. I ship anywhere. The advantage in the locks is the fact that the times you choose the code to work, which means if your guest is due out by noon time, then the code doesnt work at 12:01, same goes for housekeepers and maintenance, contractors etc. Huge benifit to worrying about who has a key to your property. I offer 2locks that come with software and internet access so no matter where you are you can generate a codes, and can even do 1 time use codes. Software is rather inexpensive, and locks are suprisingly cheap as well. Depending on the location we can even install it, we travel the east coast. Plus you can call me anytime, and well come up with a solution that fits your needs.

WWW.locksmithmyrtlebeach.com

• New Member 1 posts since
      Jan 30, 2012
      Jan 30, 2012 2:09 PM (in response to locksmithmyrtlebeach)

We have been using Resortlock on our properties for 3 years on one and 2 years on the second.  These are both beachfront condos in NW Florida.  The GOOD and the BAD...

GOOD - The lock electronics seem to be excellent with a couple of minor exceptions.  The clock drifts so you will need to set the time at least twice a year.  We had one battery holder deform to the point of a battery losing its connection.

BAD - The mechanical components are LOUSY! At this price point, the lock should be made of MUCH better materials.  The exterior finish started to corrode on each lock within the first year.  We had to replace one lock during the warranty period due to mechanical failure in the UNLOCK position. After the first failure, we decided to keep a spare lock on hand in case of further problems.  GOOD CHOICE!  We have rotated all three locks in and out of service due to corrosion of the internal mechanical mechanism.  We do not get direct rain or salt spray on the locks but they still fail. They seem to go between a year and 18 months before failing in the UNLOCK mode.  The required cleaning and lubrication is tedious but not that difficult.  I am still trying to determine the best lubricant/anti-corrosion product to extend the cleaning cycle.  Repeating myself, at this price point, the exterior case and should have been made of stainless steel or a heavy chrome plate.  Changing several small internal compoents to stainless or some other corrosion resistant alloy would have made this a MUCH better product.

• kiawahcottage Community All-Star 375 posts since
        Jan 1, 2011
        Feb 16, 2012 1:32 PM (in response to rodc)

Rodc,

Great info on the differences in the locks and their quality (or lack thereof).

My VR is in a marine environment and and corrosion, etc. is a problem.  The thing that seems to work the best is heavy duty clear silicone spray.  For instance CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Multi-Use Lubricant part #05074.  I have used other brands and they work fine as well.

Paul

• evansbnc New Member 14 posts since
        Feb 4, 2011
        Feb 17, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to rodc)

I've been using a ResortLock for over 4 years now and have had zero problems.  I just changed the 2 AA batteries after 4 years!  I use the RL-2000 model with silver finish. My property is in the mountains and my lock shows no signs of wear yet. The web interface to assign guest codes is easy and intuitive.  There is also a key hole on the handle for backup access.

The only negative (and it is a minor one) is remembering to have my maintenance person switch the daylight saving mode on/off at the apporpriate time of year.

ResortLock also offers a wi-fi lock/thermostat combo that I am considering mainly for the thermostat control.

Brent

hilltophideawaycabin.com

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Jan 30, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to gregpurk)

I've read through the above replies and want to let you know that I have both the Schlage link locks and Resort Locks on my properties.  I swapped out the schlage non-link locks in favor of the ResortLock as I was tired of visiting the property to input new codes every couple months (they only hold 19 and I was keeping 5 for cleaners, myself etc).  I have had no problems with my Resort Locks and I love the fact that I do not have to worry about the codes not working in the case of power outages or bad communication with the Schlage link locks.  I do keep a spare key to the ResortLock in a hidden rock holder buried in the yard. 

My alarm system uses ZWave which is what the Schlage link locks are based on so I put them on my pool pump room and owner's closets at my properties and so far they have worked great!  However, I do realize that if I program a new code I have no way to be sure the lock has accepted that code and it will work when the renters get there.  The ResortLock I don't have that worry as no communication is necessary.  It is based on the internal clock and the code that I generate for free on their website.  If you wanted to use the Schlage link lock for your properties entrance, I would definitely have a few pre-defined emergency codes in place in case the code you generate for your renter does not work due to failed communication of some kind.  Also would do as I do and buy a small fake rock key holder and bury it 2 inches under soil somewhere you can point the renter to if everything stops working.

Rick

www.vacationrentalhelper.com

Oct 16, 2011
      Jan 31, 2012 9:37 AM (in response to skiandglee)

Rick have you had any issues with the senser on the pool room with the Chlorine? I think the only luck ive have with a senser on pool rooms is the internal door an jamb senser.     Ive also have had the same issues with the schlage locks,, i mostly replace the stuff that homeowner purchase due to poor internet connectivity, seems like if there is a power surge or if power goes out the schalge software goes down or it just goes down by itesef. Also in larger condo building here at the beach i think the initernet line does not stay as stong and steady as the routerts need. Schlage also has a bad reputation over the years of just pulling products off the market completely so if if the lock breaks the parts probably wont be available in any longer time. As far as the resort lock i havnt had any isses with any of the 100s ive sold to homeowners and they are always good with the warranty,, Theres also other brands on the market which are a little better than the resort lock

Apr 27, 2011
        Jan 31, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to locksmithmyrtlebeach)

I haven't had any issues yet but I do use Bromine in the pools as it does not off gas chlorine gas.

Rick

Mar 4, 2011
          Feb 16, 2012 10:31 AM (in response to skiandglee)

I am wanting to put in remote locks and thermostats in my properties and feel overwhelmed with the choices.  I like the idea of not having to use my wireless internet connection.  I see too many things that can wrong with this. ie: power outages, guests unplugging the router, internet being down.  I see that resort locks doesn't require a monthly subscription but would I still need to purchase the nexia/schlage bridge wireless system to program and maintain the thermostat? If that's the case, it's a large investment to get two different systems.I do have an active alarm system through ADT which might be nice to run something through that because that is remote wireless. Any thoughts or advice?

Apr 27, 2011
            Feb 16, 2012 10:36 AM (in response to sophie)

Your ADT system as far as I know will not work with thermostats and locks etc.  If you get the ResortLock, that is a stand alone system and will not need any connection or payments thereafter.  In order to control your thermostats and locks if you are not going through the alarm system that uses ZWave technology then yes, you would need to purchase a bridge that communicates with the devices and I believe you need wifi to communicate with that bridge from outside the property.

I'd get rid of the ADT system, get the cellular based alarm from frontpoint and control everything from that knowing you don't need wifi, don't need a phone line and don't need separate services for the different components you are hoping to use.

Rick

Mar 4, 2011
              Feb 16, 2012 10:52 AM (in response to skiandglee)

Thanks Rick, that's what I thought. One of my properties I have regular digital locks on the front door and the back door.  Parking is off the back where the alley and garage is located but there is street parking in the front. Do you think I should put the resort lock on the back door (most heavily used) and leave a regular digital on the front or change the front to a regular keyed lock?  I wouldn't want 2 resort locks on one property.....would I?

Mar 4, 2011
                Feb 16, 2012 10:55 AM (in response to sophie)

Also, my ADT system is virtually brand new so I don't think it's an option to get a whole brand new system. Although that would be the easiest but certainly not the cheapest.

Apr 27, 2011
                Feb 16, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to sophie)

Hi Sophie,

As long as you explain to your renters pre-arrival where they need to go initially to access the home via the code then one lock would suffice.  The benefits of having two locks is that if for any reason one malfunctioned, you could see gain access to the property.  You would want to email or call ResortLock when buying 2 so they could both use the same serial number thereby allowing you to issue one code that would work with both locks.  Each resort lock is $299 or $399 depending if you need one more weatherproof or not (i.e. is it covered by a porch etc).  A Schlage iLink lock is $199 so there isn't a great deal of expense more to go with the ResortLock.  The great things about the ResortLock over the Schlage is 1) you don't need to worry about connectivity to create/delete a code  2) you don't need to worry if the code programming worked as you do with the schlage.

If you just got your ADT system, you may want to check to see if there is a 30 day satisfaction policy or something that would allow you to break the contract.

Rick

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
    Apr 22, 2012 1:03 PM (in response to gregpurk)

There is so much new technology on the cutting edge right now. You can access lights, doors, windows alarms water etc from a smartphone. You can integrate your shades to lower and raise based on the sun and then still integrate all of the above ,  or you can just use a remote lock.

Doing some tech research on the Internet will bring you tons of new options.

Good luck

Marilyn

Www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)