Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
50347 Views 167 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 8:11 PM by stonemsp RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Previous Next
  • Contributor 38 posts since
    Sep 23, 2011

Sage advice thanks Ken.  I'm sure I will wish I had taken that advice but at this point its too late.  I rather not give in to blackmail or terrorism anway and just use the system against itself.    

Sep 23, 2011

I hear you but I don't think anyone over Nadia would ever over turn her decision, that would bring the flaws in their system to light.  As an owner I would always side with my business and anyone working for me becuase if I didn't then they shouldn't be working for me.  Everytime I read of someone taking their information to a higher up, it never makes a difference.  The higher up or the owner will always back up their employees decision as they should. 

• tsvr Contributor 220 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

This has not been my experience with going higher up. Sometimes it makes a

difference.

Thanks, Lin

www.ThreeSistersVacationRentals.com

<http://www.threesistersvacationrentals.com/>

ThreeSistersVacationRentals@mi.rr.com

Lin (313) 387-0690

Sue (248) 755-1618

Sep 23, 2011

That's great to hear.  Maybe you can share your experience with us?  Are you saying you were able to prove someone was blackmailing you and you were able to get the bad review removed by going to someone higher up?  Who did you end up speaking to that actually helped?  Any information would be great.

• Contributor 26 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011

Having many rentals, we too are put into the position of extortion several time a year by renter who have damaged the property and then write a bad review if we try to withhold cost of damage from their deposit.  Our properties are all high end and all are valued at several million dollars.  We employ a full time property manager and cleaning staff who reply immediatly to any and all problems and requests.  Despite this, We too have added a NON~DESPARAGEMENT clause to our contracts.  (Thank you to those who were involved in this discussion).

We have used it successfully twice now when a guest threatend a bad review for no valid reason other than they were angry about being charged for damage.  We send them a freindly reminder of the clause in the contract and also remind them that any litigation would take place in our county. (Typically quited a distance from where they reside). 

Both times the guest decided not to post a negative review. I am not sure what would happen if we actually had to go to court.  We have not had one person question the clause prior to signing the contract.

We are currently working with an attorney to tighten up our contracts, but we are still shocked to find that the HomeAway family is soliciting reviews on our properties when our contracts disallow them without written approval from us.  It seems that this is direct interferance in our business model and   I would like Someone from HomeAway to explain this. 

HomeAway is an advertizing venue and I pay to advertise.  I am not sure why they feel that they have the right to solicit anything from MY customers.  It is too bad that HomeAway will not listen to us, It's paying customers. 

HomeAway are you there? I have not seen a mediator response in any of the comment threads about Review extortion (besides the standard canned response that we can leave a reply).  Please answer our questions.  Why are you allowing us to be extoreted?

• sophie Senior Contributor 970 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011

luxuryrentals,

Would you mind sharing your NON~DESPARAGEMENT clause that you put in your contract?

• Contributor 26 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011

Here is what we are currently using.  We are having our attorney review and I will post any changes needed

Non-disparagement: The Renter (including anyone in renter’s party) agrees not to make any statements, written or verbal, or cause or encourage others to make any statements, written or verbal, of homeowner or rental accommodations without written approval of homeowner. Guests or other occupants or invitees of Guest further agree that any complaints or comments regarding the rental property shall shall not be posted on any internet website unless such comments are approved in writing by owner. The Renter acknowledges and agrees that this approval process extends to statements, written or verbal, made to anyone, including but not limited to, the news media, various online review sites & competitors. Renter accepts and is hereby notified that homeowner does not participate in reviews from websites that are not owned or controlled by homeowner and the business transaction between all parties should remain private. This Paragraph is a material provision this agreement. All communications related to this transaction shall remain private.  Specifically, renter and invited guests agree not to criticize, make any statement which disparages or post any review on any website unless requested in writing by the homeowner or agent. If any review is posted by Renter or invitee thereof, and found to contain unreasonable negative sentiment in the sole opinion of the homeowner and is not removed within 72 hours (the Review), renter agrees that a copy of this rental agreement shall serve as renter’s full authorization to request and oblige the third party or website hosting or displaying  the Review to remove it promptly upon request by homeowner or owner’s agent.   Failure to remove the Review  will be considered a breach of this Agreement, and homeowner will consider this act to have irreparably harmed by loss of business and goodwill due to violation of this provision.  In this event, homeowner will seek damages of $10,000 or more from renter and  renter agrees to pay all such damages requested by owner upon written demand.  Renter will pay any additional legal fees necessary to enforce demand should renter not comply.

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
  • Contributor 233 posts since
    Dec 26, 2011

Hi Ken.  Are you the Ken Silverman quoted in this article in today's Washington Post online?  Would love to get your feedback and also other owners thoughts on this subject and VRBO's negative comment about not renting from owners with a non-disparagement clause.

• New Member 16 posts since
    Mar 15, 2012

I have to disagree with the blanket idea that a negative review kills business.  In my opinion, it adds to the credibility of the review system.  I do a great deal of online shopping and I always check out reviews of  stores and items.  I also use reviews when traveling.  All positive reviews always make me suspicious.  I almost always read the less than perfect reviews first, then I check out the higher ones.  A rotten apple of a review usually stands out in stark contrast, so much so that it discredits itself.  A well written owner's response can turn a rotten review into a superior one. 

Now a legitimate bad review, that is a problem, but everything possible thing should have been done to try and turn that situation around before it got to that point.  That is the true purpose of the review system. 

I personally don't think that a 100% perfect track record is necessary or even desirable because you can't please everyone all the time.

• New Member 16 posts since
    Mar 15, 2012

Actually, it does work that way.

Mike

• native7 Contributor 47 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012

Sorry Cayo,

Mike is right and you are wrong.  You must be new to the business and, believe me, you will change your tune when you get your first bad review and your bookings STOP.  I own many properties and that is what happens ~ PERIOD.

Do you speak from experience as an owner? Or just from someone who reads restaurant reviews?  I would guess the second would be accurate.

Please do not think you are imune either.  Our properties are meticulously maintained, multi~ million dollar properties.  We have a full staff that caters to every request and we still have problems from time to time.  There is always that one guest who will NEVER be happy or Damages the property and is angry because they were charged.  When this happens BAD REVIEW = NO MORE BOOKINGS. 

Good luck!

Sent from Paradise!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)