Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
17241 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2013 10:57 AM by hotspottax RSS
margaret Contributor 295 posts since
Apr 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2011 4:18 PM

How do I handle tax for my rental

I am an owner of a condo in Pawleys Island South Carolina. I have some questions about tax: Do I charge the renter tax? is it 7%? Who do I pay it to? How do I pay the tax to the proper agency? I would really appreciate any help I can get, I have asked these questions to an attorney, an accountant and the dept of revenue and now have many different answers. Pawleys Island owners can you help me out. Thanx, Margaret

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Jul 15, 2011 11:51 AM (in response to margaret)

Hi Margaret,

While you wait for other Community members to chime in, this related discussion about vacation rental taxes might be useful.

All the best,

Laura

• hotspottax Contributor 37 posts since
    May 13, 2011
    Jul 17, 2011 2:10 PM (in response to margaret)

Hi Margaret,

I see this post was from late April, so you may have already figured all of this out. But if not, the total tax rate for Pawley Island is 10%, which is comprised of SC state sales and accommodations tax totaling 7.0% and a local Pawley Island accommodations tax of 3.0%.  You would need to register for an SC sales tax license and also register with Pawley Island.  Once registered then, generally, each month you will need to file one tax return with SC and one tax return directly with Pawley Island to report your rentals and remit the taxes. 

Good luck renting and if you would like more information about tax compliance or our service that will handle all of these requirements for you visit www.hotspottax.com.

Thanks,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax Services

• New Member 13 posts since
      Aug 31, 2011
      Dec 4, 2011 1:22 PM (in response to hotspottax)
      Re: How do I handle tax for my rental

We have an interesting problem for you.  We own and live year round in a home in the mountains of North Georgia.  Our vacation rental unit is the lower level of our home.  We are totally confused about what we might need to do on the tax scene. 

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
        Feb 10, 2011
        Dec 4, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to mountainmomma)

My first thought - see a tax professional!  I'm wondering if it's a similar situation as having an "office" in your home, i.e., you measure square footage and the percentage of the rental compared to the total of your entire home is the percentage you use to all your expenses.  Please share what information you find out!

Aug 31, 2011
          Dec 4, 2011 4:14 PM (in response to marym)

I've already got an e-mail query into HotSpot Tax Services and will see what they say.  Should be interesting.  I know there are other homes out there who rent one of the floors.  I investigated one myself a year or so ago.  We've been pretty casual about it and haven't collected taxes but we're still pretty new and wouldn't have that much to pay if we decided to  come forward and declare before they contact us.  We heard that our county is going to start becoming more agressive about collecting occupation taxes from our cabin rental community.  I'll be sure to keep everybody up to date on this.

May 13, 2011
            Dec 5, 2011 11:59 AM (in response to mountainmomma)

Hi mountainmamma,

I just sent you an email with the tax requirements for Blairsville, GA.  There is a combined 12% tax (7.0% state and county sales tax remitted to Georgia, plus a 5% local accommodations tax) that you are required to collect from your guests on the rent you charge. 

Generally, the laws and codes are written very broadly to define hotels as any structure or room where accommodations are being provided for consideration.  The fact that you live there does not effect the taxability. Even if you were renting a spare bedroom in your home, that is typically subject to the hotel/occupancy taxes. To confirm you could call the city clerk in Blairsville, I would be interested if they gave you conflicting advice. 

I hope that helps.

Best,

Rob Stephens

www.hotspottax.com

Aug 31, 2011
              Dec 6, 2011 9:41 AM (in response to hotspottax)

Hi Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  Last night I spoke with our county tax person, Susie Philips, as she's in our church choir with me.  After explaining that our rental is the lower level of our home and this year we had a total of 6 weeks rental Susie said that we shouldn't worry about asking for taxes.  However she said it might also be a good idea to talk with our county commissioner to make sure. 

We're a very small community and everyone is just  trying to make a living while the economy is so crappy.  They are pretty forgiving up here but we have heard thru the grapevine that the Chamber of Commerce was pushing the commissioner to up the tax from 5% to 7% and people heard about it, complained bitterly and he decided to keep it at 5%.  We also heard from fellow cabin owners that the county were going to start going after them to start collecting taxes and paying them. 

Currently as 2011 has been our first full year this will be the first time we are going to declare earnings to the federal govt. 

Does your firm give advice as to deductions etc when filing federal?  I've dealt with Georgia sales tax office before as I owned a retail store back in the 90's.  If we decide to start down this road of creating an LLC company, all the taxes etc we need to have all the info up front.  Govt can't keep their noses out of anything we do.  No fun anymore.

Trish Kane

Pmkane@windstream.net

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Device

May 13, 2011
                Dec 9, 2011 11:59 AM (in response to mountainmomma)

Hi mountainmamma,

A couple of comments....

First, if you are in the city limits of Blairsville you would pay the 5% tax to the city, not Union County. 

Second, Susie Rice works for the Union County tax assessor office and deals with property taxes.  The hotel/motel tax is handled by a different department in the county, she may not be knowledgible about the specific rules.  Also, as I mention above if you are in the city limits of Blairsville the tax is paid to the city and has nothing to do with the county.  I would caution you about relying on anecdotal conversations regarding these compliance issues.  Many of our customers routinely recieve bad advice from friends or others and then end up paying the consequences with penalties and interest if they get caught.  Also, we recommend you recieve guidance in writing whenever a tax jusisdition provides you verbal information that is inconsistent with their written laws and ordinances.   

We believe non-compliance is a problem for the vacation rental industry.  We are seeing tax jurisdictions accross the U.S. struggle with trying to get the industry compliant.  Partly they are seeking additional tax revenue and partly it is a fairness issue.  Rental owners and managers that are paying the tax do not like the fact the many are not, and put pressure on officials in their community to crack down.

Finally, we do not handle income tax related matters, our expertise and business is to assist property owners and managers comply with the state, county and city room and occupancy taxes. 

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax Services

• Contributor 42 posts since
    Nov 3, 2011
    Dec 7, 2011 5:07 PM (in response to margaret)

Reply to Margaret

My wife has the same problem as you except that her rentals are in Litchfield Beach. She has an appointment with a CPA tomorrow to discuss sales tax as well as if state tax is owed by non-residents... from a review of the federal return there was little and none for the most part of income left after expenses and depreciation. Would like to know what you have done as well. I assume you are in Pawleys Pier

May 13, 2011
      Dec 9, 2011 12:10 PM (in response to piavian_43)

Piavian_43,

As your CPA may have confirmed, there are a series of state and countly sales and accommodation taxes that you will need to collect from your guests and remit each month to SC.  Additionally, there will be a local accommodations tax, likely due to Georgetown County, depending on your location. 

If you would like more specifics about the tax requirements for your location, please contact me.  We will give you the info for free so you don't have to pay a CPA.  We currently handle the sales and accommodations tax filings for hundreds and hundreds of vacation rentals in SC.

Best regards,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax Services

www.hotspottax.com

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
        Nov 9, 2011
        Apr 18, 2012 3:52 PM (in response to hotspottax)

Are taxes only for short term rentals less than 30 days or also payable on monthly rentals as well?

May 13, 2011
          Apr 18, 2012 10:57 PM (in response to marilyn)

Hi Marilyn,

Most states exempt rentals of 30 days or longer from the tax, but some are 90 days and some states are as long as six months (like Florida and Hawaii), so it depends on where your rental is located.  Simarly, some locations are required to pay the taxes only monthly and other locations are quarterly.  Again, it depends on the location of your rental and how much tax you pay.  Let me know the city and state of your rental and I can be more specific.

Best,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax Services

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
            Nov 9, 2011
            Apr 19, 2012 8:17 AM (in response to hotspottax)

Hi Rob

Six of my homes are in Hamptons Bays, New York 11946 and one home is in Southampton, New York 11968.

Would appreaciate your response.

Thank you

Marilyn

May 13, 2011
              Apr 19, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to marilyn)

Hi Marilyn,

NY is complicated, but recently became less complicated.  Last month NY Taxation issued a ruling that basically exempts vacation rentals from the state and county sales tax (based on a lawsuit).  You still need to collect and remit the Suffolk County hotel motel tax, which is filed and paid quarterly to the county.  Also, in Suffolk County rentals of 30 days or longer are exempt from the tax. 

For the state taxes, the length of stay had to be 90 days to be exempt, but the NY state sales tax is basically not applicable anymore.  We recently notified all of our NYS customers of this development and removed the state and county sales taxes from their accounts.  They all do need to continue filing and report the county hotel tax, but that is a much lower rate.

Best,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax Services

• New Member 6 posts since
        Mar 31, 2012
        Jun 10, 2012 2:16 PM (in response to hotspottax)

I currently have a property management company handle my sales taxes for me (in Kissimmee, FL). I collect a total of 13% which I believe is split between state and county??

Due to a deterioration in our working relationship I am looking into handling this myself. Do I need to apply for a new account or should I be able to take over the existing account(s)? Where would I find the account numbers (assuming the management company won't tell me)? Where do I go to apply to take over this task?

Thanks!

May 13, 2011
          Jun 10, 2012 6:52 PM (in response to cmarch)

Hi cmarch,

Yes, for the 13% tax, 7% is paid to Florida each month and 6% is paid to Osceola County each month.  If your manager was handling the taxes correctly they should have most accounts for you already set-up. 

You will need/have the following:

1)  Florida sales tax account/certificate

2)  Osceola Tourist Development tax account

3)  Osceola County Business Tax Receipt (license)

4)  Florida Resort Dwelling License

If you call the FL DOR they should be able to give you the sales tax number for your location (address).  They should be able to unroll that number from your managers account so you can now file on it.  Also, call the tourist tax group/tax collector at Osceola County and they can provide you with the county Tourist Tax number and your Busines Tax receipt number.  They may be able to help you with a FL DOR contact too, if needed.  Finally, you will likely need to obtain a Florida Resort Dwelling license when the one your manager has expires.

Alternatively, HotSpot will handle all this for you and the monthly filings for a fee of $12 per month ($6 each tax return) plus an annual fee of $19.95.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax Services

• New Member 11 posts since
            Jun 1, 2012
            Jun 11, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to hotspottax)

Hi there,  we have just started renting our our cottage in Northern Michigan.  I am guessing(hoping) we will only get about 6-8 weeks of rental this year.  We included the taxes in our rate but have no idea of what the tax implications are.  Can you give any advice.   We are in Lewiston (Albert Township) MI.  Thanks

May 13, 2011
              Jun 11, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to west_twinner)

Hello,

For most locations in Michigan the only applicable tax for a single unit or one vacation home is the state 6% sales/use tax, including Lewiston.  You will need to register with the Michigan Dept of Treasury for a sales/use tax account/license. Most of our MI customers are required to file quarterly with the state, plus an additional annual filing.  If you want to do this on your own either call or visit the MI Dept of Treasury website to get registered and start the filing process.

If you prefer, HotSpot will file the required returns for $11 per quarter, plus a $19.95 annual fee.  I hope that info helps, let me know if you have other quesitons.

Best,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax Services

• New Member 3 posts since
                Apr 20, 2012
                Mar 1, 2013 2:56 PM (in response to hotspottax)

Mr. Stephens,

You are very knowledgeable, so I thought I would go straight to the source.  We recently purchased a condo in Myrtle Beach, SC as our vacation home and on occasion rent it out via VRBO. Are we liable for any kind of taxes?

Thank you in advance.

• beachbumz Active Contributor 542 posts since
                  Jan 21, 2013
                  Mar 1, 2013 6:29 PM (in response to lzim)

LZIM - I'm a MB homeowner who also rents out. You'll need an Horry County business license, you'll need to file SC DOR Sales Tax, plus Horry County accomodations tax. For one of the taxes, if you're in MB proper, you'll need to file an extra 1% for commerce and development. Total is 12% between the two. Mr. Stephens  appears to be very knowledgeable and you may feel more comfortable relying on his recommendations. If you need some help, feel free to email me at my profile address and I'll be glad to provide more detailed information.

May 13, 2011
                  Mar 2, 2013 8:30 AM (in response to lzim)

Hi Izim,

Thanks for asking, I'll try to be concise about the requirements, it's a bit complicated:

If you are in the city limits the tax is 13%, if you are in unincorporated Horry County the tax is 12%.  We verify each location we handle the taxes, for obvious reasons.  Below are the basic requirements if your IN MB city limits:

• 10% tax paid monthly to the SC DOR.  This is the sum of five different sales and accommodations taxes.
                  • 1.5% hospitality/accommodations tax paid monthly to MB
                  • 1.5% accommodation tax paid quarterly to Horry County

As you can see that if you are in MB city limits the taxes are paid to three different agencies.  Also, if you are in MB city limits you need an MB city business license and you do not need an Horry County business license.  HotSpot will handle all of these filings and licenses if you prefer, once you are set-up we charge about $200 per year to do all this ($15 to $16 per month).

If you are not in city limits then the tax is 12% and paid to SC DOR and Horry County, so you don't have to worry about anything with MB.  Also, I believe you don't need an Horry County business license unless your rentals exceed $10,000 per year.  Our fee for Horry County (not MB) is $135 per year to handle everything.

Hopefully that helps, let me know if you have other questions.

Best,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax

• northmb New Member 3 posts since
                    Jul 27, 2013
                    Aug 12, 2013 10:02 AM (in response to hotspottax)

The Horry County receptionist told me the same information, but as I sit down to fill out the forms - everything from the state's paperwork and website says 7% (5+2).  Did something change recently?  I know there is still 1.5 and 1.5 for county and city (I'm in North Myrtle), but I have been collecting 12% for the last month and that's not what I'm supposed to pay out.  How do I go about resolving it now? 

How much would hotspottax charge to get me started so I can do this right from now on?  We've only been renting a month.

Thanks

May 13, 2011
                      Aug 12, 2013 10:57 AM (in response to northmb)

Hello,

I think I understand what you are asking.  Of the 12% tax, 9% is paid to the state (5% sales, 2% accommodations plus two Horry County location option sales taxes of 1% each).  Then 1.5% is paid seperately to Horry and NMB.  I hope that helps.

If you want HotSpot to handle we charge $6 for the monthly SC return, $6 for the monhtly NMB return and Horry we can file quarterly for a fee of $11 each quarter.

If easier to discuss on the phone you can reach me at 303-220-0183.

Rob

HotSpot Tax

• New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 4, 2013
    Apr 4, 2013 4:01 PM (in response to margaret)

Hi,

If I have a home in Hunter, NY 12450 that I wish to rent out short term, what are the tax rates, and how often do I need to file?  And what is the definition of short term?

Thanks

• harry2010 New Member 1 posts since
      Apr 16, 2013
      Apr 16, 2013 2:19 PM (in response to goliathslw)

Hi,

I am considering short-term rental of my home in Harpers Ferry, WV and until I saw this forum, I never even thought about taxes.  Can anyone help with rules/law for West Virginia?

I think of short term rental as weekend up to 1 week.

Thanks

• evan Active Contributor 664 posts since
        Jan 12, 2013
        Apr 16, 2013 5:18 PM (in response to harry2010)

I believe in many states the definition of short term is up to  months were one collects taxes. I know it i in fla. i'm sure theres psters from every state on here who can guide you

May 13, 2011
        Apr 17, 2013 3:12 PM (in response to harry2010)

Evan,

In WV rentals of less than 30 days in duration are considered short term and subjedct to the state 6% sales tax.  There likely may be an additional local city or county tax too.  Jefferson County does have a hotel tax that may apply to your rentals.  If you register for HotSpot we will confirm the exact tax requirements for your location and then register you for any required account and licenses, then file and pay the taxes when due each month or quarter.

If you want to figure this out on your own my suggestion would be to contact the WV Dept of Taxation and Jefferson County Finance or Tax Collector.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Rob Stephens

HotSpot Tax

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points