Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
354638 Views 1,450 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 6:49 PM by grace300 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 97 Previous Next
  • Contributor 175 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,230. Apr 14, 2012 1:09 PM (in response to mauijan)
    Re: Hawaii Trying to Kill VRBO

mauijan wrote:

Go to the papers en masse.

Great idea.  I went to The Garden Island News.  They only allow 250 words.  As you can tell from my previous posts, I can't sneeze in under 250 words.  I figured I could only get one thought through, here it is:

New bills at the capitol will "stick it" to off-island vacation rental (TVR) owners.

HB2078's stated goals are to: find TVR tax cheats, find those TVR's in illegal zones, and assure guests have a local contacts.

Everybody, even mainland TVR owners, agree these goals are all good!

But, there are unstated goals inserted "between the lines": revive the Property Manager (PM) industry.

Need for PM's has been in decline come cell phones and the Internet.  Owners can as quickly/effectively communicate with guests, housekeepers, and plumbers from Kansas as from Kapa'a.  A PM won't fix the plumbing: they'll call somebody who can. So, it comes down to who will respond quickest/best.  An owner, with pride in ownership, will react more quickly, and care most about the outcome.

Owners are currently permitted to manage their own TVR's.  Unlicensed caretakers are also permitted, but may only work one property (makes sense for Kipu Kai, but not my little 800sq' condo).  The "between the lines" twist: The proposed bill changes the current requirement so the "local contact" requirement will now fall under the caretaker definition for mainland TVR owners (which makes no sense), so a PM would be our only legal recourse.

We can't afford a 50% cut in our revenue to revive the PM industry.  This will put many of us out of business and some into bankruptcy.  This will drive unemployment higher for those currently being paid by mainland owners.

If you have dealt with mainland TVR owners, please let your state representatives know your thoughts on losing our business.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    1,231. Apr 14, 2012 11:10 PM (in response to blackburied)

Moderator:  some posts from today, April 14, disappeared today!  I was in the middle of writing a response to one of the latest one ...when suddenly it disappeared...together with my response.  Can you please check what happened...and see if the posts can be retrieved and uploaded again. One was an important update from the "RBOAA" .    Thank you.

Feb 22, 2012
    1,232. Apr 14, 2012 11:15 PM (in response to anja)

I wonder if the person who posted deletes their post, if responces get deleted too... or, Homeaway is having issues again.

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011
    1,233. Apr 14, 2012 11:35 PM (in response to anja)

Anja

If referring to the RBOAA update/ membership plea and your response, I have the email versions if you need them.

Sent from my iPad (3rd Gen) with Aloha

Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

Aug 9, 2011
    1,234. Apr 15, 2012 12:08 AM (in response to sodamo)

Hi David/sodamo....would you please email me to my private email...my "response" if you can.   I wanted to edit it so what I was saying was clearer. But, when I went back online, it was gone...together with the original post from RBOAA.  MAHALO!!!

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011
    1,235. Apr 15, 2012 12:42 AM (in response to anja)

Don't have your email, so I tried a PM

David

Aug 9, 2011
    1,236. Apr 15, 2012 12:51 AM (in response to sodamo)

I got it David.  Only problem:  I had edited my post a lot...so the one you had was the very first.  When I edited it, I included more points that I was trying to make to be clearer in my thoughts and  ideas.  But, alas...it's gone now. Unless HA  staff can find it in the system and upload it again.  Thank you!!

Aug 9, 2011
    1,237. Apr 15, 2012 4:42 AM (in response to blackburied)

It's pretty frustrating when one works on something ...writing online...and then poof!  It disappears.  Let's hope someone at HA is working over the weekend and gets the  RBOAA post and others that were lost back up again.   MODERATORS...anyone home?  Can you help?

• New Member 9 posts since
    Apr 7, 2012
    1,238. Apr 15, 2012 4:57 AM (in response to blackburied)

If you delete a post, all the associated replies are automatically deleted with it. It is best to keep a copy of your original post or any replies either in Microsoft Word or in Pages.

Feb 22, 2012
    1,239. Apr 15, 2012 9:03 AM (in response to blackburied)

blackburied wrote:

mauijan wrote:

Go to the papers en masse.

Great idea.  I went to The Garden Island News.  They only allow 250 words.  As you can tell from my previous posts, I can't sneeze in under 250 words. 

It is posted here: http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letters-for-sunday-april/article_c4c95be6-86d9-11e1-b936-001a4bcf887a.html

They removed the paragraph concerning "how well we can manage remotely"... so I didn't get my 250 words after all.

• jwe Contributor 284 posts since
    Feb 18, 2012
    1,240. Apr 15, 2012 9:14 AM (in response to blackburied)

please be careful in going to the papers.  Do not create a we vs them dialogue.

Instead just tell them why it will be bad for local contractors, cleaning services and maintenance people.

Feb 22, 2012
    1,241. Apr 15, 2012 10:17 AM (in response to jwe)

jwe wrote:

please be careful in going to the papers.  Do not create a we vs them dialogue.

Instead just tell them why it will be bad for local contractors, cleaning services and maintenance people.

Oops... tact has never been my strong suit.  Any specific suggestions on what wording you'd use?  I did try to consider the audience, but obviously not well enough.  I also expect some negative replies to the post, but have a thick skin.  Maybe you could add a reply clarifying a better spin?

• New Member 7 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    1,242. Apr 15, 2012 9:31 PM (in response to mauicondoowner)
    Attachments:
  • New Member 7 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    1,243. Apr 16, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to islandadventures)
    Attachments:
  • New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 3, 2012
    1,244. Apr 17, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to jwe)

Hi I have not seen any activity on the Hawaii trying to kill VRBO thread for the past two daye. Do you know what's up?   DGW

1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 97 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)