Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4656 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 12:32 PM by susaninrehoboth RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Apr 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2012 10:51 PM

No Response?

I have rented from Brno and vacation rentals three times in the past four years.

This year, however, I have got NO response from owners of any of the more than a dozen

enquiries I made! I tried vrbo, home away, and vacation rentals; U get the automated response,

but no reply from anyone for over a week.

I suspect there is something wrong. What should I do?

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Apr 14, 2012 8:18 AM (in response to gautamshroff)
    Re: No Response?

If you suspect that there's an e-mail malfunction, perhaps you could review the ads you made inquiries to, see if there's tel. no. and try to reach the owner that way?

• carol Senior Contributor 2,160 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Apr 15, 2012 5:02 PM (in response to gautamshroff)

Have you checked the owners' calendars?  Some owners get so many "blast" inquiries where the traveler hasn't even checked to make sure the house is available or meets the traveler's requirements  that they don't respond. 

I do always respond myself, but it gets tiresome to keep replying "Sorry, as my calendar indicates, I'm booked on those dates ..."  or "No, as indicated in my ad, we do not accept prom parties"

And do check your deleted mail folder. Perhaps your email is marking the responses as spam. 

• New Member 10 posts since
      May 29, 2012
      May 30, 2012 12:00 AM (in response to carol)

As I said in a related response, I am having the same trouble with owners not responding promptly (or at all) to inquiries.  In one case, I actually called on the phone and personally spoke to an owner who promised to call me back later when he was in front of his calendar.  No return call.

As far as the "blast" inquiries go, it is the only way renters can reliably get a place.  Many owners do NOT regularly update their availability calendars, and often a home will show as available for certain dates on the website but the e-mail response will be that it is booked for our desired dates.  If renters sat around and waited for every lazy, slowpoke owner, our vacations would come and go before hearing back from anyone.

I know there are many who take their vacation rental business seriously, but there are many more who do not seem to care in the slightest.  It is the same with any small business, really.  We renters are simply doing what we have to do to find what we need: a decent place to stay on our vacation.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,160 posts since
        Dec 10, 2010
        Jul 15, 2012 9:27 PM (in response to turtlecatcher)

Wow, what an amazing sense of entitlement you seem to have.   I now know why no one has responded to you.  If even a tenth of your attitude towards owners shines through in your inquiries, no one in their right mind would respond.  While there may be a few exceptions, owners are not generally "lazy or slowpoke", they are extremely careful about who they permit in their homes.   You seem to forget we are trusting you with homes that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars more than you are paying for your short vacation.   Why would any owner risk all that for a person who is not suitably respectful?

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
        Aug 9, 2011
        Jul 16, 2012 3:05 AM (in response to turtlecatcher)

From renting my vacation units for years, from personally knowing several other owners in my location with even more years experience than I.....and topping it off with those owners that I *meet* and *read* here in  the Community.....I doubt that the problem of "non response" is due to  "lazy or slowpoke" issues.  Owners are not lazy....we juggle full lives, families, jobs, businesses, everything that you do....and we also have the responsibility of vacation property + guests in residence. A vacation rental biz is multi faceted and we wear many hats as owners. Taken from another owner/poster here who once summed it up nicely:

The vacation rental business is not necessarily like any other business.  There is a great deal of "hospitality" work that is similar to the hotel industry.  There is marketing, outreach, concierge, physical plant, and being abreast of travelers interestsl. Most of us handle our own bookkeeping. We draw up our rental contracts and do all admin. for our business, as well.  On a daily basis, we also have to troubleshoot, deal with anything  that occurs while guests are in residence. We have families, have to cook, shop, clean, do laundry, entertain our own family and friends, and we sometimes go "on vacation"....even if it's just to steal a "day away".  I stole away this week for two days...and I did not answer any emails or take a phone call...after I got my guests "settled in"...I took off. Only my resident guests had my cell #, in case they needed anything.  I'm entitled to my "time off".  Are we lazy?  I would not think so. We all juggle ...we all have many responsibilities.

When a owner is interested in the prospect, believe me....they answer the inquiry! If you don't get responses often, check that you inquiries are complete with all details that match the rental on offer, and communication style in an email is so important.

Here's the thing:  owners get to *choose* who to offer their keys to....and the decision is based on several factors....and it definitely begins with the very first inquiry....so the specifics for accommodation that the traveller requires ...and the style of communication.  Personally, I respond to all inquirers whether I am interested in sending them an offer,  or not, because I think if anyone takes the time to ask, I'm going to respond...it's the least that I could do ...and it's good business practice.  If I can not welcome them for the time they request, or for one reason or another pertaining to the size of their party, or their expectations,  I hope that they will bookmark me and inquire for a future visit, as long as they fit my place. It just does not work all the time...some  inquiries are really way off what I can oblige....and some are just not "my preferred" type of guest, for my home.  But I will answer, politely, and honestly. I never lead anyone on....I never would be discourteous to anyone.  I assume nothing about people....I base my "responses" on what I consider to be a "good fit" for my place....for both guest and owner.

In my opinion, the "bulk" inquiries are really not the ideal way to approach an owner.  It's been a real time waster for many of us --- we've been getting inquiries that do not apply at all to what we have to offer.  And, thus the travellers are finding out that they don't get responses because that "bulk inquiry system" has not functioned effectively.  Now, the bulk search feature has been tinkered with to add a "filter" with more "search features" for travellers to include in their inquiries. Owners are now trying to evaluate whether the newer filter is helping them to receive "more targeted inquiries".  Perhaps, as a traveller, you will find that you get more "responses" from people who actually have to offer exactly what you need.

But, one thing for certain:  owners do "choose" who they want to deal with.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Jul 16, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to gautamshroff)

Just last week, I had an inquiry I couldn't respond to. He had not asked for a price or specified a date - I greatly dislike that by the way. He had simply said he liked the house, was interested in renting next summer, planned to be in the area for afew days and wondered if he could "pop in to see the place". We are fully booked this summer and I will not disturb guest for people who want to "pop in and see the place". I e-mail back to him that we do not allow this and asked him a few questions. The e-mail address was invalid. I called the number on the inquiry to warn him that his e-mail was not correct in the inquiry and got voice mail. I left a message and he never returned my call. I wonder sometimes if the lack of response from anyone is an error in the e-mail address either a typing error by the person inquiring or some glitch that occurs on the HA end.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Jul 30, 2012
    Jul 30, 2012 11:56 PM (in response to gautamshroff)

I am having the same problem right now. I completely undertsand that owners have lives. I expect that from them - they are human. However, weeks have gone by on some of the rentals I have inquired about. WEEKS. I was not pushy. I read up on what HOMEAWAY recommends. They state to wait a few days and try again (unless this was a sham website that looked exactly like it.) I felt that was even too short so I waited a long while. I have inquired about 3 places over the period of about 3 weeks.

My email is my first and middle name. It isn't "varsityboylovestacos" or "letspartynow." I am not underage. I give credit that I am young, but I didn't simply say "hey, gimme your apartment." I was polite and simply asked if the apartment was available.

I have recieved the homeaway response. I have listed my phone number as well.

I am extremely disappointed that I haven't even gotten a "no." Is this a homeaway issue? Am I being blocked? Or am I just finding owners who do not want to reply to me? Does anyone have any suggestions?

It makes me nervous to rent in this situation because I worry about the speediness of the future. What if I need help when I am there? Etc.. etc.

• New Member 5 posts since
    Jul 28, 2012
    Aug 4, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to gautamshroff)

It is a major problem, many owners do not regularly update their availability calendars, and often a home will show as available for certain dates on the website but the e-mail response will be that it is booked for our desired dates.

http://www.wingshinterlandretreat.com/

Jul 30, 2012
      Aug 3, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to ianbisho)

That is quite annoying, but at least getting an email is of some help. I know that one owner (the only one I got a reply from) sent me a link to another home they have. I didn't pick it, but it was nice knowing that there was some connection. My first goal is to get peole to respond!

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 865 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Aug 3, 2012 5:16 AM (in response to gautamshroff)

To me this is why I use Reservation Manager 80% of the booking process.  It is easy and answering back only takes seconds.  As an owner I greatly appreciate all inquiries even though I believe at least half of them do not read my availability calendar. On the other hand to ianbisho's point, maybe renters are tired of following the process only to find calendars not up to date and as a result I get a question if a particular date is avail when my calendar clearly shows the availability. Great points!  Reservation Manager also does a good job of keep my calendar up to date as well. 

Jul 30, 2012
      Aug 3, 2012 1:15 PM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

I understand that completely. The tricky part is that searching on homeaway still leaves a bunch of homes there that have "no dates available" but still come up in the search. It's confusing. It would be nice if all calendars were up to date, but I know that owners cannot do everything. Just a simple reply back makes me know that I am not being ignored.

So, I searched for apartments that only use reservation managers...and I am hoping that I can get a reply today (or within a few days.)

• New Member 1 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    Aug 6, 2012 10:48 PM (in response to gautamshroff)

I am having the same problem. When you have narrowed the choices down to maybe two or three and you are wanting on your first choice - and then it takes several days and they say it is already taken - then you find that your second choice is now also booked.

Plus, I am seeing that when I need clarification about a home, maybe I feel that something was left out, or the description is confusing, and the owner doesn't even bother answering the question....

My family leaves everything very clean, and are very responsible, so they are really missing out on a good renter!

• New Member 1 posts since
      Aug 10, 2012
      Aug 10, 2012 10:17 PM (in response to bluebelle)

I have a bit of the opposite problem right now.  I asked about place 1 and didn't hear for a while.  Then I submitted what I would have termed an availability request for place 2.  Woke up one morning and saw place 1 had responded and went ahead and made the reservation, including submitting payment.  About 20 minutes later I get a response from place 2 that confirmed my reservation and asked for me to submit my deposit and their calendar already showed my dates as booked.  I feel bad because the owner of place 2 responded so quickly and seemed very nice.  Now I have to apologize and decline the apartment - all in another language.

Need to bite the bullet and write the message.  Oh well, the French already think us Americans are rude anyway, right?

• susaninrehoboth Active Contributor 893 posts since
        Sep 3, 2011
        Aug 11, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to kelly.lease)

Hi kelly.lease

You have no reason to apologize. An initial inquiry is nothing more than that. That the 2nd owner would assume you are renting is close to trying to scam you, IMHO. I don't know the wording you used in the inquiry, but unless you actually stated "I want to rent to rent, tell me the next step to reserve your property" or something along those lines, you don't need to reply back. IF you want to be super nice, email a simple statement back that you've rented elsewhere

.Have a great vacation.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points