Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
354905 Views 1,450 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 6:49 PM by grace300 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 97 Previous Next
  • Contributor 26 posts since
    Mar 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,185. Apr 12, 2012 9:19 PM (in response to cubsfan)
    Re: Hawaii Trying to Kill VRBO

cubsfan....

In the words of RBOAA - YES!

"Please send in your opposition we must continue to fight.  Tell your friends and have your friends tell friends.  Tell your agent and have them tell their agent friends."

• jwe Contributor 284 posts since
    Feb 18, 2012
    1,186. Apr 12, 2012 9:20 PM (in response to cubsfan)

Please wait before contacting senators or reps until RBOAA has the opportunity to make contact to see if there is an opportunity to discuss this with them rationally.  This may be the opportunity to change the tenor of their approach on these bills.

• New Member 14 posts since
    Mar 2, 2012
    1,187. Apr 12, 2012 9:36 PM (in response to grs)

Do we know how / why they object?  How do we know they objected?  Can we get some more detail?

• jwe Contributor 284 posts since
    Feb 18, 2012
    1,188. Apr 12, 2012 9:45 PM (in response to mauilizard)

It seems to be closed door proceedings

• New Member 14 posts since
    Mar 2, 2012
    1,189. Apr 12, 2012 9:46 PM (in response to cubsfan)

I saw this article on the Maui News Facebook site, regarding the state of the local Real Estate market.  I felt it a good forum to post a comment regarding what I believe will / could be the impact these laws would have on the Real Estate Market.  I think it could be a good forum to generate some resident interest.  Feel free to pile on!  http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FJ0kYTy&h=hAQExMt-PAQFObiJzp3BojUGlZ8_RO5GQKxnQuDEToAzC-w

• californiaamy Contributor 36 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    1,190. Apr 12, 2012 10:10 PM (in response to mauilizard)

"Updated status today on HB2078 is: House disagrees with Senate amendment (s)."

This is Excellent news!  That means the bill has to go back to conference and committees. With the end of legislature on May 3rd, and this is the end of the second year of the two year legislature so the legislature is sine die and if the bill is not set to be passed by the 26th, it won't go anywhere.

• New Member 8 posts since
    Mar 7, 2012
    1,191. Apr 12, 2012 10:19 PM (in response to jwe)

OK.  Will wait.  Have been sending correspondence as requested and will wait for further info.  Please be sure RBOAA sends out what we should do.  Sent our membership in to them today....:)

• Contributor 49 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    1,192. Apr 13, 2012 4:04 AM (in response to jwe)

I hope we as a group can join with the groups of Hawaiian owners of vacation rentals. If we all approach the problems together with the legislators,, on and off island owners, we will get further. We don’t want divided. All issues are the same for all owners. Off island owners as well as on island owners need back up staff and everyone should pay their taxes.

Last night, Cindy Evans said she had heard lots of stories of abuse from PM. She also knows that many of us would not be able to continue if we had to spend a lot more money if we had to hire a PM. She said they need to figure out a way to tell who is a legitimate business doing everything right so they can be exempt from forced hiring of a PM. So, I hope you are successful at working the issues with the legislators before the next bill is introduced. She did say it is helpful for people to be there in person rather than depend on email. That is why she was communicating with a group from the Big Island. Do we have people in RBOAA that can personally meet with her?

Crazyknits

• Contributor 175 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    1,193. Apr 13, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to mauilizard)

mauilizard wrote:

Do we know how / why they object?  How do we know they objected?  Can we get some more detail?

I too can't fit the pieces together.  I live in a 1-party state, where the different branches of government are just a good-ol-boys club that rubber-stamp each others bills.  Dissension doesn't make sense.

It has been imperative to Roz that the HRS 467-2 exception that allows us to manage our own property be negated, even if to fulfill a trivial requirement like "local emergency contact"... so I'd bet the disagreement lies there.  Maybe somebody in the Senate understands that could be done by someone w/o a real estate license or caretaker status (i.e. as the landlord-tenant law reads currently). 

We know she'd reword it to anything as long as it doesn't change that intent.  So, the disagreement must lie there.  Which is good for us.

• Contributor 26 posts since
    Mar 24, 2012
    1,194. Apr 13, 2012 12:44 PM (in response to cruisin9)

let me add to the confusion....

I received this message from my Homeowners Assciation yesterday. It doesn't ring true to me, becasue it doesn't even mention the most troublesome part of the bill as curretnly written...i.e. the one "designated agent" per one owner requirement.

STATE LEGISLATIVE RBO UPDATE: The main Rent By Owner (RBO) bill – now House Bill 2078 SD 2 -- morphed again and the most controversial element – requiring non-resident owners to hire licensed property managers – has been removed, thanks to the work of Maui Senator Rosalyn Baker. The bill now focuses on reinforcing existing law: TAT payment compliance and assuring that owners actually hire an on-island representative who can help their guests when there is a problem or in case of emergency.

A major element of the bill now seems to be creating a tax information sharing program between the state Department of Taxation and the Counties and one purpose of that program is to give the counties information about who is paying TAT in order to allow the counties to crack down on illegal vacation rentals. The State Taxation Department had previously balked at such a proposal.

Because the House and Senate versions of this measure are radically different, HB 2078 will now go to conference committee. The House has been relatively hostile to the Senate’s efforts on this front to date and could still completely block this measure as well.

If this measure is defeated, that does not mean that the issue will just go away. The property managers who originated this discussion are swearing to fight on. The HAR Government Affairs Committee is considering how to approach the major issues raised by this debate in the off-session, with the goal of coming up with proposals that can address its consumer protection and tax compliance components. One thought is that an education effort aimed at communicating with the vacation rental owners, explaining what their tax duties are and why it is important to have a competent on-island representative, may be helpful.

• Contributor 78 posts since
    Mar 18, 2012
    1,195. Apr 13, 2012 12:42 PM (in response to islandadventures)

This article has appearances of fingerprints of Senator Baker.       Someone has filed a complaint with RAM dispute process to have the inaccuracies addressed - last paragraph is untrue.  Maybe a poorly written/edited piece or perhaps a sign of not looking closely at the facts, or perhaps a deliberate mis-statement of the facts.  RAM needs to retract this last paragraph and send a corrected version out to their realtors before this misinformation starts to take hold.  It may be worthwhile to file a complaint with HAR as well.

Feb 22, 2012
    1,196. Apr 13, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to islandadventures)

islandadventures wrote:

I received this message from my Homeowners Assciation yesterday....

STATE LEGISLATIVE RBO UPDATE: The main Rent By Owner (RBO) bill – now House Bill 2078 SD 2 -- morphed again and the most controversial element – requiring non-resident owners to hire licensed property managers – has been removed, thanks to the work of Maui Senator Rosalyn Baker.

She sure fooled your homeowner's association.  Have you tried to enlighten them?

• New Member 4 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    1,197. Apr 13, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to cruisin9)

I have been reading the posts for a while now and I feel I should warn everyone about Hawaii Vacation Owners Association (HVROA). This group is not what you think they are. I was under the impression they represented the vacation rental industry in Hawaii. After contacting them, I was shocked to find out they represent the un-permitted vacation rentals and Bed and Breakfasts owners on Oahu only. A woman who represents them told me Oahu does not allow vacation rentals in residential zoning unless they have a license and Oahu has not given out any licenses since 1989. When I question her on why they were breaking the law and wouldn’t it be more effective if they didn’t break law while they were lobbying the Oahu government, she turned very sour and nasty. I think this group and their tactics are one of the reasons these bills keep moving forward. I have talked to friends on Oahu and they said vacation rentals are frowned upon in many of the non-resort communities. They said the issue of illegal vacation rentals was a big deal in the local news and many of the neighbors protested about them being in their neighborhoods. It seems to me the un-permitted vacation rentals are hurting the reputation of all vacation rentals in Hawaii. I believe we should support the state and the local people in their efforts to identify these owners who are the bad guys and then leave all of us who are following the law alone. It’s not right these owners are ruining our businesses. I would not give a penny to this group and I certainly don’t want to be associated with them in any way.

• Contributor 78 posts since
    Mar 18, 2012
    1,198. Apr 13, 2012 12:48 PM (in response to blackburied)

the follow on posts call out the errors in the article, so the posts need to be added to and forwarded to the homeowners' associations, not just the article that is a platform for Sen Baker to fight the House Reps who want to not act in our better interests either, the House Reps have the PMs as their backers.   This piece was written by Baker to try and win for the SD2 version over the HD2 version.  No one is defending the nonresidents, don't believe that for one minute.  The Senators and the Representatives are fighting over who gets to throw us to their own set of vultures.   that's what that article is about in my opinion of reading the tea leaves.

Feb 22, 2012
    1,199. Apr 13, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to sjsf)

sjsf wrote:

... I believe we should support the state and the local people in their efforts to identify these owners who are the bad guys and then leave all of us who are following the law alone. It’s not right these owners are ruining our businesses. I would not give a penny to this group and I certainly don’t want to be associated with them in any way.

Thanks for enlightening us.  I absolutely agree that we should distance ourselves from anybody doing anything illegal.  I have been confused as to why we needed another lobbying group... you have very well clarified that for me.  Unfortunately, I already gave the HVROA money.

1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 97 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)