Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4487 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 7:11 PM by thale RSS
creeksidevacation Contributor 28 posts since
Jul 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2012 7:52 AM

Inquiry Directly To My Email

This morning we received an inquiry that went directly to my email.  Is this common?  This is the first time we have received a direct email in the year+ we have been renting so I am suspicious.  Also, they didn't put exact dates, just "two weeks in August".  In the interest of not turning away a potential renter, but also wanting to go through proper channels, I directed them to HomeAway and said they could look up our property and we could give them a quote with taxes, etc. all included.  (In the interest of time, it is much easier to do it that way anyway, vs. typing it up in the email).  Anyone else have a similar experience?  Thanks!

• tyann Contributor 222 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    Apr 12, 2012 9:21 AM (in response to creeksidevacation)
    Re: Inquiry Directly To My Email

creekside,

I think it is a spam message. I got *probably* the same one. It asked for my best rate for 2 weeks in August and went to my regular email address. The fact that it went to my email address is not unusual, as I have it posted on our personal website. But other things about the email seemed "scammy" - I replied anyway, but did not expect a reply back.

Tyann Marcink

Nature's Retreat and Canyon Retreat | Vacation Home in Branson

Website Design and Photography | Marcink Designs

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,357 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Apr 12, 2012 3:42 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

Creek, I advertise on several different venues, so I always ask any inquirer how they found out about our home.  Sometimes it's a referral from a former guest, sometimes it comes from our FB page, or local businesses that have our business cards.

I'm not a stickler for having people go through a certain venue. However, I have my own protocaI, & do my own "investigations" before I respond.

Debj

• New Member 4 posts since
    May 21, 2012
    May 21, 2012 6:06 PM (in response to creeksidevacation)

I received the same inquiry for two weeks in August that came directly to my email address.  I also recieved a direct message from someone asking for a rate for two weeks.  I wrote both that I could not respond without more information, asked them how they learned of my rental, and referred them to my listing and calendar on Home Away.  I am also getting direct inquiries without details, some for the wrong numbers, telling me to click on the link if I am unable to read the full message and to add them to my address book.  These I delete and block.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
      Jul 27, 2011
      May 22, 2012 11:41 AM (in response to orchid)

I've also received emails that direct me to click on a link to view the message. They appear very similar to VRBO and Homeaway inquiries but do not have the exact apperance or content of a real inquiry.  These are clearly phishing attempts and any links contained in the text should be ignored. 

I would also warn against clicking links in facebook notifications.  I've received some very good copies of actual notifications and nearly clicked myself into a load of trouble. 

My new mantra when reading my email:  never click, never click, never click.  Better to go through the extra steps and time to log into and check the actual website or account that is being referenced rather than succumb to the link in the email. 

• Active Contributor 295 posts since
        Jun 9, 2011
        May 22, 2012 2:07 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

The following link provides an explanation how this phishing scam works with graphics.

http://www.campaya.co.uk/news/content/home-owners-victims-phising-attacks

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
        Aug 10, 2011
        May 22, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

I sooooo agree about never clicking on links any more, no matter how real they look or how convenient it would be. I was one who received a HomeAway inquiry that looked just like it came from them EXCEPT it said to click on a link to view the inquiry. I clicked and when I clicked a message, that looked just like my e-mail server, popped up and told me I had been timed out and would need to log back in. I did. That was the beginning of a huge mess resulting in all my ads with VRBO, HomeAway and Vacation Rentals being taken down for weeks. Eventually everything all e-mails and passwords were changed and everything was secured and back up and running, but it cost me bookings. I have also received Facebook messages that were phishing attempts. Bottom line: DON'T CLICK ON LINKS!

• thale HomeAway Employee 136 posts since
          Oct 27, 2010
          May 22, 2012 6:25 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

Hi there:

Phishing scammers are working hard to a) get your email address and b) get access to your email accounts by getting you to click links and grab your credentials.

The first line of defense is being cautious about what links to click and which sites to trust.

Here's an article (on the community site... ) which describes our plans to fight fishing.

http://community.homeaway.com/blogs/homeaway-insights/2012/04/25/phighting-phishing

Please read this to educate yourselves on phishing and our plans.

regards,

tom

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
            Aug 9, 2011
            May 22, 2012 11:08 PM (in response to thale)

Hi Tom,

Our (owners) email addresses are 'exposed' when we respond to an inquiry using the HA-VRBO  "Reply" feature.  This is bugging me.

Can we not assume that every inquirer is someone that we 'trust' to enter our homes, please?  In lieu of protecting security of owners, can you do something about this email address "exposure"?  Can you have the programmers tweak the "inquiry response form" to make it optional for us to *hide*  our email address in the  response?  If I want to go further with the transaction, I'll then choose to expose my email address....but there are times when I am *not* going to proceed with trying to get the booking...some inquiries sound "off"...and if I do not feel it's a good for me to proceed in those cases, I do not want the person to have my email address.

The email phishing is further aided by *exposing* our emails via the system, IMO..

I'd be really grateful if  you would look into that.

Thanks so much for working on the security issues for us.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points