Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2492 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 8:49 PM by jennifer.ethridge RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Mar 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2012 2:10 PM

Charge back issues on Security Deposits and CSA

Hi,

I'm a fairly new property owner (7 months).  We haven't had problems charging a $500 security deposit and accepting the payment via credit card through Reservation Manager.  However, last week on a HA webinar "Tricks of the Trade," the speaker said that the major credit cards "technically" do not cover damage.  That if a charge was made to a card to pay for damages after a guest leaves and the guest disputes the charge, it would be charged back (money taken back from owner) and the owner may be fined $500 if they fight the dispute.

We have not had an instance yet of damage.  If it occured, we would be refunding less than that total $500 deposit paid by the guest through HomeAway.  Would this be a possible issue for the credit card company if disputed?  Or does HomeAway have a special agreement?

If this is an issue then we would consider using the CSA damage protection insurance option, but need to know the likelihood of having claims denied.  I have called them and asked for their rules, but first hand experiences would be more helpful.  i.e. if a guest left the tub running and cause water damage to the floors is that covered?

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points