Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1736 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 11:13 AM by stjvilla RSS
New Member 4 posts since
Jan 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2012 3:16 AM

Help! 8 day rental, shower pressure issues, renter wants refund

We have a beachfront condo, 1 bath - 4 renters.  They stated the shower was fine when they checked in, and 3 days later, contacted my on-site housekeeper/maintenance staff regarding the shower pressure.  They tried cleaning the showerhead, ect., had a plumber in (but not the same day because renters did not want anyone in the unit when they were absent).  The plumber said when they (Condo assn staff) replaced the tub/shower fixtures about a year ago, the valve was not changed.  He feels that he can cure the problem by flushing acid through the pipes, however, it has to sit in the pipes for a day, and then be flushed out.

Meanwhile, my tenants are hosing off by the beach and then "finishing their showers" in the unit due to low water pressure.  The tenants called me on Day 6 to let me know what was going on.  I presume they are going to be looking for a refund, and I believe they are due one, but I have no idea how to calculate it.  I am thinking that since when they told me there were 2 days left, I give them a 1 night discount?

Message was edited by: karen.smith I should clarify that it was my cleaning staff who tried cleaning it and contacted the plumber, whom I will pay for.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,155 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010

It's a shame they didn't tell you right away instead of trying to fix it themselves -- you could have put them up in a hotel for 24 hrs and fixed it.   Still, I think I would refund them at least 1/3 of the rental price plus whatever they paid the plumber (if they paid the plumber). 

• stjvilla Active Contributor 626 posts since
    May 27, 2011

We feel you should be proactive and offer a refund before they ask for one.  If you apologize sincerely and then say something like "We feel it is only right to compensate you for the inconvenience and we will refund X day's rent."

They did call your own maintenance people, even if they didn't call you so they did the right thing.  However, how bad was the water pressure?  A mere trickle or just less than normal?  Not that you should bring this up or quibble about the severity of the issue.  Since it bothered them, just apologize strongly and give them the refund.

Assuming they didn't pay the plumber, definitely offer maybe 2 day's rent of the 5 days they had this problem.  After all, it couldn't have completely ruined their stay.  It may depend on how upset they seem and from what you say, they seem to have coped okay so should be happy with an offered refund.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)