Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
128008 Views 275 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 7:51 AM by j4922 RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next
  • msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Jan 11, 2012 11:27 AM (in response to cabinlady)
    Re: VRBO not what it used to be...too bad!!

Cabin, I did receive an email response from Travis ( HA) who explained my status saying I'd signed up to opt out of Auto Renewal when I re-upped in May ( with a credit card- so there goes THAT policy out their window, not than I'm complaining!). 

Wouldn't it be a better use of customer service reps time to simply provide all users a working link to the Auto Renew, rather than have them chasing & responding to indivual  complaints?

• Contributor 145 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    241. Jan 11, 2012 12:29 PM (in response to frustrated)

Having a background in high tech and working in several start-up operations that went public... this company has all the signs of management in a state of chaos and in “Fire Fighting” mode.  I feel sorry for the employees of HomeAway it must be a horrific work environment…it has been six months since they went public so about now the morale is degrading…. as the hype of the public offering is starting to wear off and the stock price is sliding.  Just imagine how many help tickets customer service must be dealing with right now.  Management is only focused on the bottom line especially if they are not making a profit…. so most likely they have not added headcount to service all of these help tickets.  It has been three days since I submitted my help request to change from level 1 to basic… auto renew was off on all my listings so two listings have expired and one more will expire on the 24th of January another one of the 4th of February….the longer it is taking to respond the more I keep asking myself….do I really need to renew with VRBO???  Inquires are continuing to pick up with Flipkey and what I am really starting to see is these are targeted inquires specific to my home as opposed to bulk inquires with VRBO.  I am really curious how long it is going to take for someone to respond.  Instead of spending millions on advertising they should be beefing up the customer service support staff.  All I can say is you would never find HomeAway on Forbes best run company list! 

• travis HomeAway Employee 325 posts since
    May 2, 2011
    242. Jan 11, 2012 1:48 PM (in response to cabinlady)

Hi everyone,

You can find a full discussion on turning off auto-renew here.

Travis

• Contributor 145 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    243. Jan 21, 2012 1:28 PM (in response to frustrated)

Well folks here is my ongoing Saga of dealing with the HomeAway Group.  After 9 days of no response for help to change a bunch of my listings to basic I finally get a call.  He says I am your PM (what the heck is a PM in high tech PM's are called Program Managers. He proceeds to tell me that he noticed I have some listings to renew and some that have expired.   He was not calling regarding my support request so I proceed to tell him that I have no plans to renew the listings that have expired because I am sick and tired of all the useless bulk inquires. Response is yes, the company is aware of this problem..well that is a good sign...so I continue to explain that I would like to downgrad to basic.  One is VRBO the other is a HomeAway listing.  I did a test drive on one HomeAway listing and upgraded to Gold so if I renew now it will drop down to basic immediatley so I should wait a few more days to renew.  He also tells me I have so many listings with them that I am entitled to xx discount and he is entering this into their system.  After the call with Mr. PM I am feeling maybe there is hope for this company after all.

That afternoon I am on the phone and find out that the call I could not take was from customer service finally responding to my help ticket of 9 days ago.  I try to call back but after 40 minutes waiting on the phone I finally hung up and said to myself I will just wait and talk to Mr. PM on Friday.  So yesterday I call and leave a message with Mr. PM.  I wait all day and he does not call me back. So after 55 minutes on the phone…. Hallelujah I finally reach a real live human being.  I give them my listing numbers I want to renew and proceed to tell them I was told that I am entitled to a discount.  Customer service person says, “Sorry will need to transfer you to Sales” so after waiting a ten minutes someone comes on from Sales.  I give Mr. Sales the entire story and he says, “Need to put you on hold while I check on this” a few minutes later Mr Sales says, “I see you are entitled to X discount”.  I say, “No I was told by Mr. PM that my discount was X” Mr. Sales says, who told you this and I proceed to give him Mr. PM’s name.  He then proceeds to put me on hold again.  Mr. Sales comes back and says, “Mr. PM is out of the office”.  I say “so what does that mean are you telling me I have to let my listing expire or pay a higher rate” ?   Mr. Sales says, “will that be ok with you”?  Seriously…he really said that!  I said, “Well yes it will give me time to think about if I really want to renew my listing at all wit you folks”.  I then hung up and two seconds later a customer service survey comes to my email.  I filled the survey out checking all the boxes as totally dissatisfied and told them they have a totally screwed up system.  No one within customer service has been given empowerment to make a decision… so this pretty much says that the director of that organization is a micro manager and runs his department as a dictator type of management style.  This is crazy they have the tools to automate this process so that customers can just move up or down as they choose.  Why not allow us to move up and down throughout the year.  Dealing with this HomeAway group is so incredibly frustrating!  I would never ever, ever recommend anyone invest with this company.  The most important element of running a company is superior customer service and satisfaction….when they make it so difficult for a customer to pay for a renewal then something is seriously wrong at the top! 

• New Member 9 posts since
    Nov 27, 2011
    244. Jan 21, 2012 5:20 PM (in response to vacationlady)

You are learning....good luck.

No one at VRBO is empowered to do crap....I ran a very large 

business...after struggling for years I was told to put out the message that all 

employees dealing directly with customers were empowered as if they were 

me....period....take action and the big dicks will have your back

Amazing...my work weeks shortened my customer gripes dropped off an we made

more cash...VRBO is a tin horn operation.

In a message dated 1/21/2012 12:29:07 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, 

community@homeaway.com writes:

(http://community.homeaway.com/) Seek Advice. Get Answers.  Optimize your

Vacation Rental  Business.

Re:  VRBO not what it used to be...too bad!!

created by vacationlady

(http://community.homeaway.com/people/vacationlady)   in VRBO.com - View the  full discussion

(http://community.homeaway.com/message/14950#14950)

Dec 4, 2011
    245. Jan 21, 2012 10:49 PM (in response to bag-boy)

When I look at VRBO compared to other sites I use ... including HomeAway ... the number of enqueries is about the same, but the number of bookings is much less.

Since November, enqueries went up but 'real' interest went down.

Unless things change, I'm not planning to renew.

Also, I believe with the inclusion of 16 'free' photographs the standard subscription rate has gone up, so they are not free:  you will pay a higher price when you renew.

Nov 27, 2011
    246. Jan 22, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to traffic)

In as much as I have abandoned my subscription as of last November for the 

very reasons and complaints listed here on the forum.   There is one  thing

to keep in mind.  We have a naughty recession going on.

So the proposition that folks are looking and leaving is  understandable.

America is shopping hard for deals.

Many of my folks had been requesting deep discounts...I could not maintain 

any profits by deeper cuts so we suspended all services. 

Our neighbors are a good cross section of the economy and represent America

and the globe.  Some neighbors are supporting adult children.  Some 

younger neighbors are taking second jobs or any job to make ends meet.  It  is

difficult to make vacation plans with those kinds of issues to deal  with.

Thus, we have a drought in vacation rentals.  The true aggravation  with

VRBO goes deeper than hit and run inquiries...it is the treatment...it is  the

absence of responses...it is the boiler-plate pre canned responses to 

problems...the companies that are going to make it in this economy have tuned up

the customer service by having a real person answering the phone..look for

companies that answer the phone on the first ring...those are the ones to

do  business with.

Timberhaus

In a message dated 1/21/2012 9:50:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, 

community@homeaway.com writes:

(http://community.homeaway.com/) Seek Advice. Get Answers.  Optimize your

Vacation Rental  Business.

Re:  VRBO not what it used to be...too bad!!

created by traffic (http://community.homeaway.com/people/traffic)  in 

VRBO.com - View the  full discussion

(http://community.homeaway.com/message/14974#14974)

• New Member 7 posts since
    Nov 1, 2011
    247. Jan 31, 2012 9:20 AM (in response to traffic)

"I believe with the inclusion of 16 'free' photographs the standard subscription rate has gone up, so they are not free:  you will pay a higher price when you renew." 

That's correct.  The base subscription went from $299 to $349, a 16% increase, and all the other price tiers are then built on that higher foundation.  Smart business plan, but a painful one for anyone listed there.

HA is a pretty over valued, publically traded company now, with stockholders to appease, so don't think for a second that this is the last of the creative price increases they will be forced to devise for each and every one of their venues.

• tsvr Contributor 220 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011
    248. Jan 31, 2012 9:24 AM (in response to bag-boy)

Maybe in over all percentage, I don't know but I think this depends on where you are located and what your rates are.

The very reason you described causing a drought in VR's has kept my homes renting. People can not afford to take expensive vacations so they are staying in VR's and vacationing with friends and family.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Feb 5, 2012
    249. Feb 5, 2012 10:21 PM (in response to frustrated)

Amen Amen to all of these posts concerning the demise of VRBO...a company I used to hold in high regard and with respect. When it was first started by Dave and Lynne Clouse of Colorodo, it was wonderful! They had a hands on approach to everything, they took pains to know you personally and treat you like a human being! Those days are long gone. I am going to have to find another vacation rental company. Any ideas folks?

Workarounds? Are you serious? That should NOT be necessary if a site is designed with both the renter and rentee in mind!  Complaining? You bet I am and don't tell me not to when a Company makes you wait a couple of days to get back to you!! When you make a legitimate complaint (for example renter's comments SHOULD be a requested not a required element of their website) and no one gets back to you as requested. And no one actions your request either!

Feb 5, 2012
    250. Feb 5, 2012 10:24 PM (in response to tupelo77)

I agree with you completely!

• New Member 3 posts since
    Feb 14, 2012
    251. Feb 14, 2012 5:01 PM (in response to frustrated)

I signed my Captiva Florida property up with VRBO this past November. Initially I was please with the responses that I was getting, however the responses have dropped off somewhat and this is the time of season when they should have picked up...dramatically. It seems to correlate with the change in the tier system and VRBO bringing on a big corporate rental company on the island that I have my property on. Seems that VRBO doesn't really care to work with the individual single property owners anymore.

• New Member 14 posts since
    Mar 9, 2012
    252. Mar 11, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to marym)

I agree! VRBO will toot their horn on all the inquiries they are throwing at us and blame the lack of bookings on our prices or some other ridiculous reason.

Aug 9, 2011
    253. Mar 11, 2012 5:54 PM (in response to frustrated)

Trent,

I liked the website and would like to Beta Test.

You can send me the info to register.

Best of luck,

Roger

• New Member 21 posts since
    Apr 3, 2012
    254. Apr 3, 2012 10:47 PM (in response to frustrated)

Boy, that's ironic - I just got on to the forums today and posted that someone will eventually hear that folks are so disenchanted with VRBO/HA (akin to Netflix ignoring their customers), and that same person will come up with an alternative site, where people will move their business to.  Looks like this one is a possibility trent....

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points