Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
15263 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2012 1:42 PM by jen32 RSS
New Member 21 posts since
Mar 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2012 4:26 PM

Has HA been hacked?

There have been a lot of emails from HA in the last few days warning us about a phishing scam. Fair enough. Good of them really.

Except...except that enquiries from VRBO/HA cannot contain links from the enquirer. So if this a phishing scam with a link to a fake email login, then the phishermen (?) must have our actual email addresses, something not given out on the HA site (unless I'm very much mistaken?).

Which means, maybe HA is suddenly so advertisier-conscious (which, let's face it, would be a first) because they have been hacked and someone has got hold of all our email addresses?

Just a theory...

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,353 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Jan 26, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)
    Re: Has HA been hacked?

Good points. Last fall Walgreens Drugs, Target, etc were hacked. I received an email from them SAYING they had been hacked- then they gave instructions, etc. Now THAT is a real business model.

• Contributor 78 posts since
      Mar 18, 2012
      Apr 3, 2012 12:46 PM (in response to msdebj)

Ms Deb J,

Our site for homeaway Hawaii Kill VRBO has gone down.  I don't know why and don't know if we can retrieve it.  However I did want to stay in touch with you and keep you posted on our progress as well as to be able to ask your help on an advisory capacity with respect to your former professional experience.   would you kindly send me a note to vrbo 81818?  Mahalo!

• Active Contributor 295 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    Jan 27, 2012 2:21 AM (in response to simon.zimbler)

I very much suspect, nay believe, that HomeAway’s site has been hacked for the following reasons.

If it’s the Owner’s email credentials (username and password) has been surreptitiously phished by a Scammer, then all that is required by Owner to resolve it is to change his/her email password, and problem is solved. Scammer would no longer know the new password and won’t be able to gain access anymore.

However, HomeAway has been insisting that Owners who were targeted by an incident like this must also change his/her email address to resolve the issue. Why? This makes me believe that the issue is at HomeAway. It’s their site that has been hacked. The Hacker was somehow able to view Inquiries meant for Owners through HomeAway’s site, and not through access to Owner’s email.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
      Aug 10, 2011
      Jan 28, 2012 6:51 PM (in response to tfv)

Just spent most of the day trying to resolve a "your e-mail had been compromised issue". This is a nightmare! I notified HomeAway of a suspicious e-mail. They never replied. A week later, I realize I have had no inquires when I usually have 2-3 a day. I go to my dashboard and everything looks ok except I notice my status is inactive! I check all three sites and all three site have totally pulled my advertising. I am just not there! I never receive any notice at all, They just shut me down! I called tech support and they confirmed that my e-mail reporting a phishing attempt had resulted in my sites being pulled, but NO ONE every NOTIFIED me! I have missed an entire week of inquiries. I spent 1/2 the day on the phone with tech support. I had to change my e-mail, change all me security questions and change my password on all three sites. I did that and I still have to wait while the security team decides if I have done enought. Well, here is my question. How did all of this begine? Someone somehow got my e-mail address and sent me a bogus inquiry. Who is at fault there? VRBO or HomeAway, but NOT ME. However, I am the one left with a huge headache! I'm still not back on line and I'm being told I will have my renewal date moved to compensate for all I've gone through. What now? How do I assure my e-mail is safe? VRBO is seriously pushing their reservation manager, but somehow someone hacked into their system and got to my e-mail. How do I trust them? How do we run this business in a secure way? The whole situation has made me crazy! I am just sick over all I have lost!

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Jan 29, 2012 6:25 AM (in response to simon.zimbler)

And the fact that it was HA/VRBOs requirement last year that we change our sign in to our email address means that we are all at risk...

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Feb 2, 2012 1:24 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

Hi All,

I'd like to make it clear that none of the HomeAway sites have been “hacked” during these phishing attempts, but there is evidence that phishers are targeting vacation rental advertisers on ours and other’s vacation rental websites.  Here is one variation of how it works; but crooks are pretty creative as a group, and there are lots of other ways they can try to fool you.

We know that some phishers are inquiring about properties hoping that the owner will email them back.  Then they send a “spoof” page to that owner saying something like “your email session has expired; please login again” in the hope that you will enter your email address and password by mistake.  Or they may send you a totally unrelated email (asking you to register for something free, or sending you an attachment to read) hoping to get you to click on a link that will download malware onto your computer to allow them to track your keystrokes.

The point is that HomeAway does not have to be “hacked” in order for you to fall victim to a phisher who is seeking to steal your email password.  And, of course, once that person has access to your inbox, he can see all your inquiries and choose the ones he wants to try to steal from.

Tip:  if you are concerned that you are not getting all your inquiries, log in to your HomeAway account and check to see if all the inquiries listed there are also in your inbox.  If they aren’t, contact us immediately.  If they are, then you’re safe for now.
 But be very careful what you click on:  identity theft is on the rise, and you need to act carefully to avoid being a victim.

For more info, please see our Update on Scams, Phishing, and Identity Theft.

Stay safe and secure,

Laura

• New Member 8 posts since
      Feb 20, 2012
      Feb 22, 2012 12:16 PM (in response to laura)

Laura,

Why is it called "phishing" when travelers GO TO VRBO WEBSITE, send an inquiry about a listing, and receive fake information back with the original VRBO inquiry.  We weren't "phished" in from some random email, we used the VRBO website. 

We also received contracts, refund policy, etc. ALL with the VRBO branding, Carefree Rental Guarantee stamp, and VRBO copyright.  ALL WERE FAKE.  

Why is VRBO not holding some responsibilty of this?  The owners blame VRBO and VRBO blames the owners or property managers.  Is anybody ever compensated for their losses?

Bobbie

• New Member 8 posts since
          Feb 20, 2012
          Feb 22, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

Yes. Very True.  On th VRBO website, I sent an inquiry on a rental home.  Few hours later,  I received an email back responding to the original VRBO inquiry.  (MY inquiry was  actually attached on the bottom of the email with the dates, question I asked)

The email answered my questions ( that the dates were available,  the rates, cleaning fees, taxes, etc.)   Thinking this was the REAL property manager,  I responded back saying we would like to book.  Next day we were sent a contract, refund policy and how to send money.  

Needless to day, I wired the money a few days later.  Come to find out, it was all bogus.  It's been a nightmare.

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
      Nov 5, 2011
      Apr 3, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to laura)

Seems like going to a non email login might go a long ways to resolving this issue..

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Apr 3, 2012 5:57 PM (in response to laura)

Hi Laura, and other Moderators.  The question of hacking keeps coming up. In any case, we're all feeling so vulnerable these days. In response to someone on this thread, you suggested that scammers may want Owners to answer an inquiry so they can get our email addresses {to send us a phished message for us to click on, later}.  It's correct that scammers want valid email addresses.  Regardless of how many ways scammers are getting our email addresses....there is one way that HA-VRBO is  making it VERY VERY easy for the scammers.  Every time we answer an inquiry --- when we use the HA-VRBO "REPLY" button, you are giving the inquirer our email address, in the response field.  Why are you doing this?    I recently sent a response to someone who inquired that I do not want to rent to ....and I do not want that person to have any contact information.  He presented to me a possible "physical security" risk for my property {these are very strange people who live on my island...very very weird people. I'm concerned for the peace of my current guests ...and for my personal and property security}.  In my response, which I used the VRBO "REPLY" button for....you guys exposed my "email address".     Aren't you adding to the "insecurity" problem we are having?  You HIDE  our email addresses in our listings, but then you FREELY give them to the inquirers when we respond....irrespective of whether we, the Owners, WANT the booking or not.    Moderators, please, please, please....can you pass on the message  to "programmers" or whomever to fix the "repsonse form" so you are not exposing  our email addresses ...when we reply to inquiriers...let us decide to whom we want to expose our addresses to.   I am now uncomfortable that those people could so easily get my email address.  I would never have given it to them, voluntarily.

• Contributor 78 posts since
      Mar 18, 2012
      Apr 3, 2012 3:24 PM (in response to laura)

Laura,

what has happened to the Hawaii Kill VRBO site.  It has disappeared.  A lot of valuable contact information was there.  People say whenever they try to log on their computer gets locked up.  Can you please get a message out on this.   We are very concerned?   Is this computer lockup and the disappearance of the site a virus that is now on our computers??Please let us know asap!

Thank you!

• Contributor 233 posts since
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mar 13, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

This article originally in the Chicago Tribune was in this past Sunday's newspaper in my city.  HA/VRBO is still not taking any responsibility for this problem, and this article will create additional concern and bad publicity for owners listing on H/V.  Is anyone actually trying to solve this problem??? 

By Christopher Elliott, Tribune Media Services
    The Travel Troubleshooter

January 31 2012

Shauna Kattler thought she'd found the ideal rental home in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, for her Christmas vacation: a two-bedroom penthouse condominium with a hot tub and an impossibly perfect view of the Caribbean.

The complete article can be viewed at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/sns-201201310000--tms--traveltrctntt-b20120131jan31,0,4428722.story 

• susaninrehoboth Active Contributor 876 posts since
    Sep 3, 2011
    Mar 13, 2012 4:02 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

Thesame article about HA being hacked was in The Philadelphia Inquirer 2 Sundays ago. The Philly area is one of the main area that I draw tenants from. It hasn't seemed to make a difference in the numbbe of inquiries I'm getting-thank goodness.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,142 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010
      Mar 13, 2012 7:46 PM (in response to susaninrehoboth)

Thanks for posting that article.  I hate that the article recommends using only a credit card to rent.  I take only checks, it makes me look like a scammer. 

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
        Feb 10, 2011
        Mar 13, 2012 8:16 PM (in response to carol)

I'm with you carol - we only accept checks.  I just never wanted to give up the 3-4% for the "convenience" of credit cards.  I don't think it makes us look like scammers though - my responses are very professional and I explain that accepting checks keeps our cost and theirs down.  I supply a great deal of information when I send the lease.  We have some good reviews, and I let them know that we advertise on VRBO and our own website.  They have my name, e-mail and telephone number.  I think that they think we're legit! 

Jun 9, 2011
      Mar 30, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

I read that email and found HomeAway’s advice severely lacking. It says the following:

==> If you already clicked on any link in the email, and believe you may have installed this unauthorized software, contact HomeAway's Customer Support Team...

That may be good advice if an owner remembers installing the malware, but what if an Owner doesn’t remember installing the malware?

In addition to their advice, HomeAway should also give a blanket advice for all owners to update their anti-virus program and do a complete scan of their computer. If there is a malware in their computer, the anti-virus scan will catch it and delete it, whether they remember installing the malware or not. This way, all bases are covered.

Jun 9, 2011
          Mar 30, 2012 3:58 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

Not quite.

If that malware was a keyboard logger, changing your email won’t resolve the issue. Your new email is still compromised as the hacker would still get hold of your new credentials.

The best prevention really is not to click on any links at all, so as nothing is downloaded, unless you know what you are doing. But next to that is to have the following important softwares updated, as well as additional malware protection software called browser add-ons. I will enumerate some here.

Make sure your Operating System (Windows) is updated

Make sure your Browser (IE or Firefox) is updated

Make sure your  anti-virus software is updated and you do a regular scan

You can also download what is called add-ons softwares to your browser, for example:

Bitdefender QuickScan

BrowserProtect

Iconix

Malware Search

This really is a game of one-upmanship between malware makers and legitimate software companies. The Malware makers always are trying to exploit vulnerabilities of current softwares, and the Software makers catching up with plugging holes. If your softwares are not updated, there is a chance you may get a malware if you don’t know what you are doing. Lately however, I’ve noticed my browser catching phishing attempts, spoof websites, unsecured websites, and websites with questionable certificates and whatnot, that may have been previously missed. I am 100% confident that my computer, website & email are protected becasue #1 I know what I am doing (after 40 years of computer experience), and #2, I have the right tools and softwares to defend the security of my computer - there lies my optimism.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2012
    Apr 1, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

Like ######the person above,I reported a possible site intrusion and changed email address and everything else.I notified Homeaway that all had been changed as they requested. I have emailed once asking what the holdup was and have called several times but my site has not been restored. I am definitely getting the run around and my site has been off for 3 or 4 weeks. They have confirmed that all necessary changes have been made but still the site is offline. I am considering VBRO but if they are affiliated that may not help. Something is definitly going on.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
      Aug 10, 2011
      Apr 2, 2012 5:48 AM (in response to alawson)

Call them every day until they get you back on line. That was what I had to do. Every time I called, I reminded them that not only was I not getting a service I had paid for but I was losing bookings daily. I know how upsetting this is and I am so sorry anyone has to go through this. They are back logged because so many people have had this problem. The one who annoys them the most will finally get some action. Hang in there and keep calling!

Nov 18, 2010
    Apr 4, 2012 3:03 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

Hi all,

Here are 3 resources I hope will be helpful as you discuss HomeAway and security issues:

1. This post I wrote on Feb 2 related to the question of whether HomeAway has been hacked or not

2. This blog post by Carl Shepherd, HomeAway co-founder, related to phishing and why it's important to you

3. This article - an update from HomeAway on scams, identity theft, and phishing

All the best,

Laura

• New Member 2 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012
    Apr 22, 2012 2:08 PM (in response to simon.zimbler)

I recently contacted 15+ property owners for a rental in central California and Italy. I received this notice for each inquiry, which states that the home owner or property mgr's email might be compromised. I can't believe that every single property had the same breach or is it perhaps that VRBO al et had a problem? Are people contacting me for my rental getting this same email? I contacted VRBO when I received the first one, I was told that if no money had exchanged hands it was not an issue, but now that I have received so many I am concerned. I don't use the VRBO payment system, but would be doubly concerned if I did. I have included a few of the emails for review.

Vonna

Description: "Miramar Beach Retreat - Casual Beach Elegance in Montecito, CA"

Owner or Property Manager phone number:  (805)275-1851

Dear Traveler,

You recently sent an inquiry for the above referenced property. This property can be found by entering the vacation rental listing number in the search box on the homepage.

It is possible that you may have been affected by a breach of an owner’s or property manager’s account or email account. When we learned of this potential breach we moved promptly to suspend the owner’s or property manager’s listings and put them through a process to reinstate their listings on our site with a revised account.

If you are still interested in this property or if you have booked this property, please recontact this owner or property manager by calling the phone number on their listing or through the inquiry form on the listing, which will route your communication to the revised account. Please be careful about your means of payment and we advise you to call the phone number displayed on the listing prior to making any payment to confirm payments. We also advise against sending any payment details (such as credit card information) by email.

Learn more about renting safely from our Security Center at:

http://www.homeaway.com/info/security?Travelers

As always, please feel free to contact us should you have any questions.

Kind regards,

VRBO.com Trust and Security

Description: "Torre Linda - Towering Magnificence Above Montecito, CA"

Owner or Property Manager phone number:  (805)275-1851

Dear Traveler,

You recently sent an inquiry for the above referenced property. This property can be found by entering the vacation rental listing number in the search box on the homepage.

It is possible that you may have been affected by a breach of an owner’s or property manager’s account or email account. When we learned of this potential breach we moved promptly to suspend the owner’s or property manager’s listings and put them through a process to reinstate their listings on our site with a revised account.

If you are still interested in this property or if you have booked this property, please recontact this owner or property manager by calling the phone number on their listing or through the inquiry form on the listing, which will route your communication to the revised account. Please be careful about your means of payment and we advise you to call the phone number displayed on the listing prior to making any payment to confirm payments. We also advise against sending any payment details (such as credit card information) by email.

Learn more about renting safely from our Security Center at:

http://www.homeaway.com/info/security?Travelers

Kind regards,

VRBO.com Trust and Security

"Executive Escape — Sleek and Sophisticated in Mission Canyon"

Owner or Property Manager's Phone #: 805-275-1851

Dear HomeAway Traveler,

If you are still interested in this property or if you have booked this property, please recontact this owner or property manager through the inquiry form on the listing, which will route your communication to the revised account. Alternately, you may call the advertiser directly if a phone number is displayed on the listing.  Please be careful about your means of payment and we advise against sending any payment details (such as credit card information) by email.

Thank you for using HomeAway— the world's most trusted online vacation rental marketplace.

Best Regards,

US Trust & Security

HomeAway® | VRBO® | VacationRentals™

• Contributor 44 posts since
    Jun 8, 2012
    Jun 8, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to simon.zimbler)

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but it appears that, at least in some instances, the criminals are using phishing emails to obtain the login credentials of owners who list through Homeaway. 

http://www.phishtank.com/user_submissions.php?page=1&username=RG5e3DtTULEqH7NuZ46A

I know that there are probably several different scammers out there using different strategies, but I do feel Homeaway is being disingenuous here by failing to disclose that a real scammer out there is accessing owner's listings and (presumably?) diverting inquiries.

Nov 18, 2010
      Jun 18, 2012 9:59 AM (in response to jen32)

Hi all,

We assure you that HomeAway’s systems are safe and secure.

@jen32, the PhishTank reference you mention is a part of HomeAway's protocol and was submitted by our Security Team among many other black list services. We do this to help protect our customers when we identify a fraudulent web site.

HomeAway has not been hacked.

Being “hacked” and being targeted by a phishing scam are two totally separate issues.

HomeAway has gone to great lengths to inform both owners and travelers of security concerns. We recently launched the HomeAway Security Center to help inform owners and travelers re how to protect themselves.

I hope this is helpful,

Laura

Jun 8, 2012
        Jun 18, 2012 1:51 PM (in response to laura)

Laura,

I am one of the victims of this phishing scam.  The scam I fell prey to is very common (identical to the one mentioned above).  I sent an inquiry through your site to a legitimate listing and I got back an email response from someone posing as the owner and lost over $1200.  Message boards all over the internet, and many news sources, are littered with discussions and reports about much larger sums being lost in this same scam and Homeaway's failure to offer compensation.  Homeaway instead tells defrauded renters that the homeowner is 100% liable and advises us to take up the issue with them. 

Yes, this scam was probably accomplished by phishing.  It was probably accomplished either by phishing for the homeowner's email login credentials or Homeaway login credentials.  I agree with you that this does not represent "hacking" as most of us understand the term.  What it is is a gaping security hole in the communications system upon which your business critically depends.  The use of email communication is an integral part of your business model, but when email communications that begin at YOUR SITE are DIRECTLY AND SYSTEMATICALLY targeted over a period of several months, affecting an estimated $1M of transactions according to your last quarterly report, your company claims no responsibility.    You could have chosen to disclose the nature of this scam on the front page of your site or on each listing page (e.g. "Please be aware that Homeowner's email accounts and/or Homeaway accounts are being systematically targeted by a phisher.  Do NOT assume that the person who emails you back is the true owner.  Do not wire money and always call")  How helpful that would have been!  People could then truly understand their risk and appreciate WHY wiring is risky and phone calls are needed to protect themselves adequately.  Instead you only advise people in less prominent ways not to wire money and to call the owners directly.  Users get this information without any context, at the time of inquiry, when they may still be weeks away from deciding on a property.  I am guessing that you have chosen this route because anything more prominent would scare users away.  Who wants to risk sharing their vacation dates with a criminal who could defraud them?  What about the risk of having ones' home burglarized while on vacation?  I am not aware of any home burglaries associated with this scam, but in my opinion, that seems like another huge potential risk of using your email form until such time as Homeaway removes the email form from its site and offers a secure communications center. (And by the way, why is this taking so long?)

The warnings you have chosen to use are not as prominent as they could be, and I am not aware of any place where you offer users the background information needed to make any real sense of the warnings.  Why should anyone have any concerns about wiring money to a 5-star rated listing that has been on your site for many years?  Would any reasonable customer anticipate that when they send an email inquiry to a legitimate listing through your site that they will get a response, containing the full, 100% accurate text of their inquiry, from a criminal?

I am sure you have legal arguments aplenty, though I am not aware of any court decision supporting your claim that you have no liability here (by all means, do share if I am mistaken).  And legal claims notwithstanding, its just plain poor customer service to close these cases with a form email that denies liability and advises renters to seek restitution from the homeowner.

Jun 8, 2012
          Jun 18, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to jen32)

Correction:  I do not mean to suggest that this particular phishing scheme affects $1M of transactions.  I do not have this information.  The last report from the company mentions that phishing generally is estimated to affect $1M of transactions for 2012.  What I can say is that I have combed the internet pretty well for reports of scams related to Homeaway and VRBO.  I have heard reports about fraudulent listings, but this one scam is the only one I have read about that is accomplished by phishing.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points