Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7237 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 11:05 AM by marilyn RSS
Contributor 33 posts since
Mar 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2011 4:58 PM

Pet Fees?

Do you charge a fee per pet?  If so how much?  Do you charge an extra cleaning fee as well? Any other specifics you mention to guests if you allow pets?

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Apr 19, 2011 8:34 AM (in response to karen.simmons)
    Pet Fees?

I charge $10 per pet, per night.  Up to 2 and they have to be approved by me.  I would pass on someone if they have 2 agressive breeds or 2 brand new puppies.  I also charge an extra $100 deposit per animal but no extra cleaning fee. 

• New Member 1 posts since
      Apr 22, 2011
      Apr 22, 2011 9:58 AM (in response to sophie)
      Pet Fees?

We had extensive pet damages two yrs ago...we had posted NO PETS, but a realtor friend...(this was not through VRBO at the time, --it is what prompted me to be my own realtor) told me that the pets were non-shedding little white dogs...and I agreed to FIRST FLOOR ONLY, which the tenant agreed to as well.  It did not happen.  The pets did major damage by scratching tables they climbed on to bark out windows, pet stains on wool carpets,,which the tenant denied they ever went to, but a rug cleaner said was def. pet stain, scratched and ruined a screen door, ruined and stain numerous duvet covers....I feel people should have a NO PET POLICY and a $2,000 per pet deposit for any damages. Face it...people leave their pets alone when they go out, the pets are confused and upset.  That is my response.  THis was a disheartening event for us....never again. 

• jenel.looney New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 8:43 AM (in response to karen.simmons)
    Pet Fees?

We charge $20 per night pet fee, up to a total of $100. (So if they stay longer than 5 nights, there's no additional charge.) We also accept pets on a case-by-case basis because I don't want any aggressive breeds staying here. We didn't charge anything extra until we had a couple with a German shepherd who shed like crazy. It took at least a couple extra hours to clean the place. They were here for one week, and there was hair EVERYWHERE, including stuck to the walls! This particular couple also sent their dog to our back yard alone and didn't pick up after him. Now we state that dogs are only welcome in the yard with the guests.

Most people are wonderful, though. In fact, most of our guests with pets have vacuumed regularly while they're there.

• Contributor 166 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 10:16 AM (in response to karen.simmons)
    Pet Fees?

I charge $25 per pet and allow up to 2 pets But waive 1 pet fee for 4 night stay and waive 2 pet fees for 2 night plus stays.

It's hard to detect who is a good or bad dog. We haven't had any issues so far in the past 5 years. Maybe sometimes we get extra hair or urine spots on the carpet which are cleaning up by the cleaning staff.

I was considering not waiving the pet fees during the high season.

Claudio

• terirusso Contributor 101 posts since
      Mar 30, 2011
      Apr 27, 2011 11:29 AM (in response to claudio.meira)
      Pet Fees?

We charge a $150 pet fee/dog/week. I have a 2 dog, 50 lb/dog limit. Many times I will make an exception and charge $200-250 if they are 2 small dogs. I allow dogs because we use the house and bring our dog there and feel that if you have potential renters that could be allergic, they need to be aware that dogs have been there. The only problem I have encountered was a couple who snuck a male cat, not neutered, that sprayed all over one of the bedrooms, after she was specifically was told that I do not allow cats.I had to replace the bed skirt, and comforter, and have the rugs cleaned. It cost me a lot more then the security deposit.  Some people will ask if this is a refundable security fee. It  is not.  When potential renters ask why I charge a dog fee, I tell them that not only does it take more time to clean the house after a dog has been there, but they would have to pay someone to watch their dog if they couldn't bring it with them. And I am sure a pet sitter is much more expensive.

I never waive my pet fee. I have also switched from a refundable security fee to the CSA vacation rental insurance. For $49 the renters purchase the policy which covers up to $3000 in damages. Renters are more likely to report damage when they don't have to worry about loosing their security deposit. If I had been using that at the time of the cat incedent, the whole expense would have been covered.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Apr 28, 2011
    Apr 28, 2011 10:16 AM (in response to karen.simmons)
    Pet Fees?

The only problem I see is I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to remove all the pet hairs from the cushions - they seem tokeep coming out - so I believe added cleaning charges are more than warranted.  I add $25 per pet to the cleaning charge. I also add $25 per night for rental of the pet stay.  This is what HomeAway originally indicated was reasonable in their original book on the subject figuring it is more than that to put the pet up at a kennel.  I like the idea of the Rental damage insurance route where the renter pays a smaller fee and I am covered better for damage - which could be expensive in many cases.  My one questioon though is this. I use the deposit (security) as the non-refundable way to lock in the reservation. It is refundable following the guests departure and compliance with rules and regs.  Anycomments out there on how lock in the reservation. Do I just ask for the 1/2 down up front to secure the reservation and make that not refundable if cancelled?

Mar 30, 2011
      Apr 28, 2011 6:33 PM (in response to marty)
      Pet Fees?

We always get half of the rent upon signing the lease. The balance, plus the cost of the insurance 30 days prior to occupancy. Although I am thinking of changing the balance date to either 45 or 60 days prior, to give a little extra time to allow for late payments.

Mar 30, 2011
    Jun 10, 2011 5:43 AM (in response to karen.simmons)
    Pet Fees?

Because we are in an area that has such a short high season, to be able to rent in the off season is really a plus to us. This past winter, I rented my home to a family who had a dog. Having been in Real Estate, I know that you can only take 1 1/2 months security. They moved in in October and moved out in May. They paid their rent every month on time, and did no damage to the house. But we just can't get rid on the dog smell, even after cleaning the rugs, which are only in the bedrooms. Would I do it again-yes-this is a business. I deducted $200 for the rug cleaning-which they were fine with. While we were cleaning the rugs, it made us realize that after 5 years, the rugs need to go anyway. In rental homes near the beach, the rugs take a beating, get dirty faster and hold smells more because of the dampness. Do I hope they come back to rent next winter-you bet. That rent has allowed me to use the house a little extra myself this summer. I won't have to worry about the dog smell, because we are getting rid of the rugs.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    Jun 22, 2011 10:27 AM (in response to karen.simmons)
    Pet Fees?

We charge a $150 pet fee that is non-refundable.  Our association allows only 1 pet, 25 lbs or less for a renter.  I also require people with pets (and kids) to take the  damage insurance.  Since we have been renting and accepting pets in 2004, We have averaged an additional $1300+ per year in pet fee income.  We find that to more than offset the additional cost of pets.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    Jun 22, 2011 10:49 AM (in response to karen.simmons)
    Pet Fees?

We charge $5 per dog, per night, plus we have a $250 security deposit.

We have been renting our home to pet owners since 2001 and have had (for the most part) good luck with our pet owners. Granted, the house usually requires extra cleaning, but the way our ranch style house is set up, it's pretty easy to clean. Half of the house it tile and wood laminate flooring. The carpeted area is all low Berber carpet. It's a pretty basic house and nothing fancy.

I can see why people with higher end houses may not want to allow/deal with pets. Our house is set up perfectly for pet owners. Plus the house sits out on 5.5 house with a pond with no close neighbors. That means, no people nearby for pets to bark at. Just trees, yard and a pond.

Actually, I think I have had more damage occur from people with children, than people with pets. Kids can tend to be more destructive.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      Mar 28, 2012 9:16 PM (in response to iviebaker)
      Re: Pet Fees?

We do not charge extra for pets. I have found that most pet owners are very clean and care after their pets. It's usually the guests that are slobs.

Mar 30, 2011
    Mar 29, 2012 7:04 AM (in response to karen.simmons)

I know everyone feels differently about the pet policy. Another reason I charge for pets is because people will sneek pets in if you don't charge and have very specific language in the Rental Agreement.  As I have said in previous posts, I had a woman sneek in a cat, which caused more damage than kids and dogs. I gave permission and charged a woman last summer for 2 dogs, which she claimed were 35-40 lbs each. My neighbor remarked that he was suprised that I would allow 3 such large dogs. It turns out that she brought 3 dogs, 2 labs aprox 65 lbs each and a Mastif mix aprox 85-90 lbs. Her lease agreement clearly stated that she was allowed 2 dogs and was paying for 2 dogs. I also make it very clear that the limit is 40 lbs/dog 2 dog limit. Unfortunately I did not find out until the end of the week, otherwise I would have asked her to leave, as stated in the Lease Agreement. I kept her security as payment for the extra dog and size of the dogs. She threatened to post a bad review. I told her to go ahead because I reported her to Guestchecker.com. Not a problem, she never posted the review. I now ask for a picture of the dogs, and explain that I had a problem. No one has had a problem with the request, and if they do I just wont rent to them.

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      Mar 29, 2012 11:05 AM (in response to terirusso)

I love the idea of requesting a picture of the dog. If it is really a small dog as the tenants say, they will be pleased and honored to share a picture with you. Well, they are a member of the family. But, if the tenant is trying to put one over on home owner, then a picture would tell all.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)