Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2717 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2012 8:00 PM by matt.ream RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2012 9:47 PM

New to Community - Spammed already

I have been using VRBO and Homeaway for 5 years. We've received our share of spam/bogus inquiries.  I can spot them and ignore them. But I just recently signed up for (or resigned up for) the community. In less than a week I get a "private message" through the community from some have wit who thinks I want to be their special friend. 

They will let anyone in here, and if I get more of these, I'll quit this community.  I don't need this crap in here.

Anyone else have these private messages appear?

• anja Senior Contributor 1,556 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Mar 29, 2012 2:28 AM (in response to tsw630)
    Re: New to Community - Spammed already

Hi tsw630,  To answer your question, yes.  I have received private messages.  Please clarify something because I am sorry that you've been 'upset'.   It's difficult to grasp exactly what went wrong that has upset you. You characterize someone as "half wit" which I understand the meaning of. But, how do you know that this individual is less than intelligent - or a fool?  Unless you are telling us that you've received a message from someone in the Owner Community that contained a ridiculous overture to you, or was rude, lude or deviant in any way, is it possible that you may have misunderstood the person's intention? Pardon me if I am way off -- it's just not clear to me what went wrong....but you are clearly offended.  

As you are new here, perhaps you do not realize that you can customize your personal profile for privacy settings --- for example for emails. You'll find the instruction in your 'profile', right-hand column at the top.     It's just that, The Community has a kind of 'social networking' feature - and it's voluntary. It enables people to connect with each other, individually, if they want to...by inviting each other to "friend" as it does in other popular social networking sites on the Internet, like Face Book. You do not have to accept anyone's "friend" invitation...and you do not have to receive emails from anyone.

Social networking is not for everyone. Personally, I do not do 'social networking' so I understand if you do not want to. And,  I guard my privacy. You can too.  But, people with common interests like to connect...and HA offers the possibility, to those who want to. Sometimes it can be very useful. Some other Owners in my State have contacted me about local legal issues for private rentals here, and some Owners contacted me from quite far on different matters. We just connected on a particular question...and that was all.  We Owners all have much in common regardless of where we live and rent.   If you do not want to 'friend' anyone --- just don't. That's okay. So, pardon me if I've misunderstood what offended you. If you've been approached in an inappropriate way, contact Customer Service.

This explains a bit about "finding friends" in your individual Community within this greater Community. http://community.homeaway.com/community/resources/get_started  

Welcome to the Owner Community.

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
          Nov 18, 2010
          Mar 29, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to tsw630)

Hi tsw630,

First, I'm very sorry that you've received spam via Community's private messaging tool, especially upon just joining Community. Please know that we take spam seriously, and the moment we receive a spam report like  yours, we disable the user's account from which the spam originated. 

I've shared your comments with our Community Developer who is currently working on ways to eradicate spam via private messaging. Posts like yours add urgency to that task, so thank you again for reporting it.

Oh, and in the future, you can always reach HomeAway's customer support here. Alternatively, you can let us know about Community-related issues in any one of our Community Support Forums.

I hope this helps, and would also like to extend to you a warm welcome to Community.

Laura

• burroughshomestead New Member 5 posts since
            Mar 24, 2012
            Mar 29, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to laura)

Here's a copy & paste:

Dear new friend,

How are you hope fine I really like your profile in this site I'd like to get to know you, i want us to be friends i don't know how you will feel about it, please you can write to me through my email i,m sorry if i am embarrassing you, i don't mean to do that, thank you for your understanding.please my love send your massage direct to ( Susan_oniel@yahoo.com ) not in the site

i will tell you more about my self and will attached my picture in my next mail

thanks wait your reply

Susan or you can call me Isatu.

(  Susan_oniel@yahoo.com )

• burroughshomestead New Member 5 posts since
        Mar 24, 2012
        Mar 29, 2012 11:03 AM (in response to tsw630)

I got the identical spam private message from someone named Susan, also a yahoo account.  I just joined homeaway this week.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,556 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Apr 4, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to anja)

Well, that clarifies it!  Thanks for including the text.  I have not received anything at all like this type of "friend" message. 

Okay: just checked my mailbox today and I got one on April 4th. via Private Community mail.    Here it is:

[It looks to me as if there are two different people writing to me:  1kwords  and  Jelinbaby (!!).   Here are the texts:

To: anja   From: 1kwords   Sent: Apr 4, 2012   Subject: Private Message: Forwarding spam email  Couldn't find another email to forward this to report it.  Can you tell me where I should forward other spam emails?  Hello   My name is miss Jelin, i am looking for a new friend i saw your profile today and became interested in you,i  will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email  address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email  address (Jelinbaby@yahoo.co.uk)   I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for  your mail to my email address (Jelinbaby@yahoo.co.uk) Remember the distance, color or age  does not matter but love matters allot in life Please reply me with my email   Jelin

• New Member 8 posts since
    Mar 27, 2012
    Mar 30, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to tsw630)

Sheesh. If you're gonna spam, at least find a more relevant target audience! 

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)