Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2038 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2011 6:55 PM by beartoothcleaning RSS Branched from an earlier discussion.
New Member 1 posts since
Feb 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2011 1:41 PM

Re: Cleaning Fees

So, I have a question.

A repeat guest just rebooked for next year for a month long stay.

I've already given them a quote, and taken a deposit and I've charged for one cleaning. Just recently though, I heard from my cleaner that she had to spend a lot of extra time cleaning the unit after they left. She highly recommended one additional full clean. I agree and realize I should have asked them for an additional clean at two weeks.

At this point can I still charge the guest for this? A full clean is $150.

I wouldn't mind splitting this cost with them, as this is for our benefit as well as theirs, but I'm not sure how to pose the question.

Any suggestions on how to bring it up with the guest? Thanks!

• New Member 10 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    Feb 24, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to nan)

I would be up front with them and say that you talked to your cleaning crew and that after they left time, there was more cleaning than the "normal" and therefore, if they want to rent again you need to charge an additional cleaning fee.  This will probably not be well received so you may want to have specifics as to what the extra issues were.  The question is, have they signed anything yet?  You said you gave them a quote but if you have not yet taken a deposit or received a signed contract then I do think you have room to negoiate (but I am not a lawyer). 

The other option you have is if you charge a security deposit.  My sec dep is for damage but since you know the guests' past experience, you could say that you will not refund the sec dep if the place is left in as bad shape as the first time. That way you are not charging a second cleaning fee but you are covered if the need arises.  Again, it depends on whether they have signed anything yet or not and if you have received any money yet.

Good Luck!

• Contributor 24 posts since
    Jan 20, 2011
    Feb 24, 2011 3:59 PM (in response to nan)

we charge a refundable 300 security deposit for our rental-      we had guests who left our 750k condo with sand everywhere inside  and a pile of sand on the balcony-   the maids charged us an extra 100 for that clean so we kept 100 of the refundable security deposit to cover that expense-

I would let the guests know that if your place requires extra cleaning that this extra cost will be taken from the security deposit after their departure-     may be the incentive needed to help them be less messy with your place ?

• Contributor 27 posts since
    Jan 26, 2011
    Feb 24, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to nan)

I'd say let it go and learn from the experience. Sounds like a bad business move to me.

• New Member 8 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Feb 24, 2011 9:49 PM (in response to nan)
    Re: Re: Cleaning Fees

I would think you could say you have a new policy requiring 2 cleanings per month and have the cleaning people come in mid stay. I do not think you can say much else

• Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2011 6:55 PM (in response to nan)
    Re: Re: Cleaning Fees

I think it’s too late to go back and ask for more $$ for cleaning since you have already taken a deposit from them and the reservation is booked.

For month long stays- 150 clean is really cheap.  If it were me, I would require 2 cleans for stays that are a month..  A mid stay clean, then an end of stay clean. Then you are covered.

In this case, I think you are stuck because it’s really hard to go back and tell them diplomatically that they are somewhat piggy.

Description: Description: bc logo 2

Attachments:

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)