Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1695 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2012 11:59 PM by amyg RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 15, 2012 5:36 PM

Fourth of July week-what days to upcharge as a holiday rate?

I upcharge 10% for holidays, but really don't know how many days of a holiday week, such as a 7/1-7/5 booking I should count as a holiday. Any suggestions?

• sophie Senior Contributor 970 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011

I would charge exactly those dates for a "holiday" rate. You need to look at when the holiday falls ie: if the 4th is on a Monday, I would start the holiday rate on Friday night and end on Tuesday night. If the holiday is on Wednesday, I would charge the 2 days before and 2 days after.

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010

Every area is different, so you might want to check similar listings to yours on VRBO or Homeaway (wherever your property is listed) to see how they handle holiday periods.  For example, I know owners in my area who charge a 3 night minimum holiday rate for some holidays (like MLK, Memorial and Labor Day) but 5 night minimum holiday rate for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.  I personally charge 3 nights at the holiday rate for July 4th but you may want to set 4 or 5 nights because that's more the standard for your area.  And like Sophie suggested, our holiday rate dates float from year to year, depending on where the holiday falls. 

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points