Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
5584 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 12:16 PM by msdebj RSS
New Member 3 posts since
Mar 31, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2011 10:16 AM

Accepting pets

We originally said no pets on our profile.  But everyone who wanted to rent said they had a wonderful dog and could I bend the rules.  Since we use the property on occasion and have a dog ourselves, it seemed like we should change the policy and we did.

So my question is what special requirements do you ask for if someone wants to bring their dog (we are not accepting cats).

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Apr 7, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to pprosch@hotmail.com)
    Accepting pets

An extra deposit ($100 to $300) per animal with an extra nightly fee ($5-$15)and a signed Pet Addendum.  Also, they must be potty trained.  This is a no exception rule for me, especially the nightly pet fee.  There is no hotel on earth that would let you bring your pet without an extra fee.

• Contributor 166 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Apr 7, 2011 11:39 PM (in response to pprosch@hotmail.com)
    Accepting pets

Hi,

We accept pets and really haven't run into any issues. Plus, it increased our booking and revenue. We charge $25 per pet. We currently don't charge a deposit but that is not a bad idea. Also, I agree that you shouldn't rent to cats. We did it a few times and have had issues with it.

• sliver2907 Contributor 69 posts since
    Sep 2, 2011
    Mar 8, 2012 7:45 PM (in response to pprosch@hotmail.com)
    Re: Accepting pets

Need some input on what to do for someone who is renting for 6 months.  I quoted $25 a day for the 6 months, they said it was way too much ($4500), I think it is too...ok, just a little too much, but still, what do you guys out there do for a person willing to rent on a much longer term?

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Mar 8, 2012 7:55 PM (in response to sliver2907)

I too, think that is a bit high...unless you are trying to persuade them from booking. It think around $5 per day would be adequate. What kind of dog do they have? That definitely makes a difference.  If it's a older 5 lb dog vs. a 150 lb shedding St. Bernard, I would probably go more toward the $10 per day. If people want to be responsible pet owners and travel with their animals, they need to pay the price.

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
      Feb 10, 2011
      Mar 8, 2012 10:24 PM (in response to sliver2907)

I think sophie is in the right neighborhood - $150/mo for 6 months - $900.  Clearly, they couldn't board their pet for that amount - seems like a bargain.   Maybe determine your bottom line price  and then negotiate with them.  There's going to be a point where you're not comfortable  with having a pet in your home for that length of time w/o being adequately financially protected. If you can't get to that point, you'll have to weigh having a long-term renter -- with pet -- vs. empty.  Good luck - share with us what happens!

• sliver2907 Contributor 69 posts since
        Sep 2, 2011
        Mar 11, 2012 5:23 PM (in response to marym)

Ok, so here is the story of what happened.  Since we decide to go pet friendly we received 2 calls.  One from someone who wanted a 4 month stay with his Labrador, and a maximum $12,000 budget.  (I charge $3000 a month).  This left me with no money to pay state taxes, no pet fees, no pet deposit, no cleaning fee, just a take or leave it $12,000 rent.  Told him our pet fees in addition to the rent, which he said were too high.  Never heard from him again.  Second story:  a  person writes, they want to bring their 2 small dogs,  and they are fine with the rent, taxes, deposit, cleaning fee.  When they got to the part about the costs for the dogs which I had set at $25 per day for BOTH dogs, not per dog, plus a non refundable pet deposit of $125, they said “unreasonable”.  On a 6 month rental, this came out to quite a lot, I admit myself.   Now, if you read through VRBO suggestions, they are the ones who suggested $25 per day for pets, (per pet) as well as my lawyer who said that is about what he was charged when he rented a VRBO with his dogs.  I am finding from the comments that I am getting from my query, that people are charging a lot less for pets than what VRBO recommends.  I went back, checked and calculated the following:  after they leave, I would need to clean the house,  fumigate front and back of yard for fleas, fumigate house, professionally clean the area rugs and the sofas and cover my increased homeowner’s insurance.  Recalculated it came to $13 a day, cut the dog fees in half, and this is for both dogs not just one.  Answer back...unreasonable.  Renters have now advised me they have found other options that work for them.  Two days later received email...oooops, we find your price reasonable, we are interested again...ok, so I book, send a payment request....2 days later...another email....we have found another house that meets our needs we are not in need of your house again.  Not really interested in dealing with these people again for obvious reasons.

Now, really, would people simply show up at a neighbor’s house, or a relative with their dog in tow? Yet from my small experience with this issue, people feel that their dogs must be accommodated at my home free of charge.  Yes, I once had a dog, a wonderful dog, who, in her 12 years, chewed up a friends leather handbag (that was an expensive lesson), dug a huge hole in the carpet while we were out, to escape a thunderstorm, peed in various parts of the house, left hair everywhere and yes, had a flea problem now and then. ( A part of living in South Florida).  Not a problem, I just need to replace the items that are damaged, or could be, and leave the house in perfect repair for the next renter. People need to accept the fact that dogs rub against walls (repaint), don’t know how to use a toilet, and so sorry...they carry fleas.  (NOT MY LITTLE FLUFFY!!! SHE WOULD NEVER HAVE A FLEA ON HER).  This costs money.   Anyway, I am looking for a happy medium for charges, since I don’t want to turn away a third long term rental. Please...I have heard from 3 people, thank you so much, and would like to hear from more so I can come to an average of the industry.

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Mar 9, 2012 8:08 AM (in response to pprosch@hotmail.com)

We charge $100 extra refundable deposit, $150 non-refundable pet fee for wear and tear on the house plus $100 cleaning fee since it takes our service longer to clean and they charge us more. They must sign a pet addendum. We do not allow them to leave their pet unsupervised in the house unless they use a crate and we do not allow pets in the pool since our filter cannot manage the pet hair. Pets are not permitted in the beds. We have had several very happy pet owners and they have treated our house very well. Only one person refused to sign the pet addendum and therefore did not book because they wanted to sleep with their pet in the bed. Hope that helps.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Mar 12, 2012 9:46 AM (in response to pprosch@hotmail.com)

I accept pets.  We are in a dog friendly location and we have pets of our own.

A few things we do:

I alert the house cleaners to guests that are bringing pets to assure they do a particularly thorough cleaning.

I ask a number of questions about the pet(s):  breed, age, training, temperament, owner and pet experience traveling, and comfort of pet in unfamiliar environments.

I have an addendum to the lease that contains the following "rules":

Pets are not allowed on furniture, beds, or bedding.

Pets may not be left unattended in my home.

Pets are not permitted on the lawn.

All waste must be removed from outiside areas.

All local bylaws reqarding pets must be observed:  leash law, noise ordinance, restrictions for beach, conservation lands, local parks, etc.

I do not charge a pet fee nor a deposit for pet damages.  The addendum indicates any damages will be taken from the security deposit ($500) and that any damages exceeding the amount of the security deposit will be billed.

In the many years we have been renting to guests and their pets we have not had any problems.  Our people and pets treat our home with consideration.

There are not many homes in my area that accept pets - it does provide an advantage while presenting some risk. 

I make it clear to my guests that if they have any doubt about their ability to oversee their pet and leave my home in order (no chewed furniture legs, baseboard moldings, or carpets;  no episodes of extrement of any sort indoors; no excessive barking; or any other issue) that they consider how much of a vacation they willl have if constantly monitoring their pet instead of relaxing.  I've had some guests  decide to board their pet to be able to fully enjoy their stay.

Other guests have been traveling with their pets for several years and have seemlngly perfected their routine.  Many crate their dogs at home and they bring a collapsible crate along. 

We haven't had anyone inquire about bringing a cat.  We travel with our dogs and leave our cats at home for short trips or board them for longer trips (they are indoor cats).  I would not allow a cat in our vacation home having personal experience with a cat's nature.  I don't think there is an addendum of rules nor a cat owner that could control a cat's behavior.  Our cats have caused enough mischief in our home to make me certain of that! 

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,357 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Mar 12, 2012 12:16 PM (in response to thaxterlane)

I'm with Thax.  We do allow pets ( 1 dog up to 40 lbs. ) w/o a deposit. Our Pet Policy is pretty much like Thax's.

My Pet Policy also includes a requirement that the animal be on a flea prevention program (Gulf coast has it's issues) , and for the pet's safety, heartworm prevention ( another area problem). The renter also accepts responsibility for any harm done to people or property during the rental period.

If they must leave the pet alone for a short time they must place it in a kennel they provide. Dogs get spooked when in strange places. 

We also ask that they bring copies of their pet's vet records, in case the pet would need to be treated locally.

So far- so good! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points